Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: First Hermit/Market Square game-- SUCCESS  (Read 2422 times)

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
First Hermit/Market Square game-- SUCCESS
« on: May 12, 2014, 11:25:50 am »

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140512/log.513ea5f5e4b079bc05b07905.1399904770308.txt
Being my first Hermit/MS game, it was unfriendly one: I had a 2/5 opening. My opponent also has 5/2, but doesn't know the combo, and thus buys random cards, including a Soothsayer.

Undaunted, I still opened Hermit/nothing and build up on Hermits. The Soothsayer wasn't harmful: I could easily trash the Curse.

So I win the Hermits 9/1 (Counting Madmen) (so obviously he didn't know the combo). I got 6 Market Squares when I pulled the trigger. My opponent had already gotten 3 Provinces, but that was no worry.

Once I drew my deck with 3 Madmen, I realised that I had made a mistake, I didn't get something for my Hermits to trash. But I still had a way out: I could trash a Market Square and go on with my turn. So I managed to end the game with $58 and 7 buys.

Mind you, through all this, I am totally not an expert player, and had totally zero experience with the Combo (I don't own any expansions, so couldn't practice online, and I don't own DA IRL either). And even with an unlucky start, I still managed to pull it all off in just 14 turns. This shows the power of the Combo.

On a side note: this is the first game I have played that Sea Hag has ever been totally ignored. Probably due to two 2/5 starts.
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: First Hermit/Market Square game-- SUCCESS
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 12:02:12 pm »

On a side note: this is the first game I have played that Sea Hag has ever been totally ignored. Probably due to two 2/5 starts.

Sea Hag is one of my favorite cards to ignore. You should try it more often :-)

It took me several tries playing the H/MS deck to realize how to play it correctly. And by "correctly" I mean "to the point where I actually do anything the entire game," so well done.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 12:15:46 pm »

this cant be good

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 03:08:16 pm »

You're not supposed to trash your starting estates for the combo. Those 3 Estates are the cards used to pull this off.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 03:09:35 pm »

You're not supposed to trash your starting estates for the combo. Those 3 Estates are the cards used to pull this off.

I usually trash two of them and leave the third to use for my first Hermit in the megatury. Past that, I can just use the gain from the previous Hermit as something to trash for the next one.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 03:11:22 pm »

I usually trash two of them and leave the third to use for my first Hermit in the megatury. Past that, I can just use the gain from the previous Hermit as something to trash for the next one.

But that gain would be used on another Market Square! More Golds!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 04:04:36 pm »

But that gain would be used on another Market Square! More Golds!
How often there are any Market Squares left in the supply when you go off? Usually my opponent has no idea what he's doing, then piledrives them and I'm left with 3 or something like that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 09:14:18 pm »

It took me several tries playing the H/MS deck to realize how to play it correctly. And by "correctly" I mean "to the point where I actually do anything the entire game," so well done.
The reason was because both people opened 5/2, and another curser (Soothsayer) was on the board.
BTW, I have once lost with a Chapel/Witch opening against Chapel/Silver the going all Labs without a Witch. And I saw your "How to ignore Familiar and still win" video.
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 06:09:03 am »

The reason was because both people opened 5/2, and another curser (Soothsayer) was on the board.
BTW, I have once lost with a Chapel/Witch opening against Chapel/Silver the going all Labs without a Witch. And I saw your "How to ignore Familiar and still win" video.
Soothsayer isn't really a reason to ignore Sea Hag. In a game with no Hermit/Market Square, you probably want both or just Sea Hag.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.