Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Repeating the old mistakes....the other way round  (Read 4126 times)

MarkowKette

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
Repeating the old mistakes....the other way round
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:35:43 am »
+11

A while ago i realized in my play that this happens sometimes. Later when i watched other players stream i saw this happening, too.

I have 3 big examples of this:

1. The Power of Big Money

Almoast everyone went through the state of mind "Big Money is just OP" at the beginning of their dominion career.
As the skill and understanding of dominion mechanics evolves the power of engines if played right gets clear.
But i feel this often leads to a state where Big Money now gets underestimated. And a lot of good players will always go for the engine
when there seems to be one that can compete the best Big Money on that board. But it's not that rare that the best BM is just still slightly
stronger than that engine.

2. Thinning versus economy

The engine you want to build doesn't really like treasures and you want to get to the point where you cycle through your whole deck
as fast as possible. Trashing is often the best way to reach that goal. Newer players usually overvalue the addition of good cards to your deck in comparison
to trashing bad cards. Again i feel there is an observable effect of more experienced players  starting to overvalue the trashing. Sometimes there is a tendency to
overtrash with chapel, sometimes it's about the question of upgrading/remaking copper over estate. I have realized situations where i chose to upgrade copper over
estate and the was actually considering buying a silver with the $3 left over on the same turn because there was no engne component at that cost. That is totally inconsistent because the deck has the same size now and an estate instead of a copper which is considerably worse. I see other people  doing that aswell.
It's the same as with JoaT in engines that don't really want much silver. The early economy boost is just extremely important to get to those key engine components as fast as possible, much more important than this once additional "bad card" in your deck.

3. Triggering unwanted reshuffles / dead draw

When people start to build engines with sifting this is one of the most important lessons to learn. Triggering an unwanted reshuffle can
throw you back by so much! Maybe not as crucial but still pretty bad is terminal draw without more actions left in very action heavy deck at the wrong time.
You usually don't hurt your next turn as much but often you do hurt it and you also don't accomplish a lot for your current turn.
When people start getting better at dominion those mistakes will be made less and less. But again often it can get you at the point where you
don't really evaluate situations on their own and don't want to trigger an unwanted reshuffle even though you should have.
The same is true for dead draw. You built a Village-Smithy-Deck with treasure payload and get really unlucky colliding 3 Smithys at the top of the shuffle
without any of the villages? Don't be scared to draw Villages dead! Yes you will not make your current turn significantly better, but your next turns will be far worse than average anyway as almoast all of those smithies are already skipped and with that it is better to get to a new shuffle as fast as possible.
A connected example is in terminal draw Big Money where you already have a $10 hand with smithy at the top of the shuffle. You know your next turns will be worse than average so play this smithy even though you might now have a $13 hand with a lot of wasted money.

BraveBear

• Bishop
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
Re: Repeating the old mistakes....the other way round
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 11:27:50 am »

Great Points!

Here's a question about unwanted reshuffles.  When you have draw + attack e.g Witch, Margrave, Minion, and they are the backbone of your engine draw then is it usually the right play to have one miss the shuffle just to attack your opponent?

It must be different when talking about stackable attacks like Torturer when you'd rather play multiples.  But I am often faced with a situation where I want to keep attacking my opponent but then my next shuffle can't draw as well.

Thoughts?

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 11:29:38 am »

I have won some games by ignoring strong trashing and going BM instead. Trashing is not important in a BM game.
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 11:30:34 am »
+3

Great Points!

Here's a question about unwanted reshuffles.  When you have draw + attack e.g Witch, Margrave, Minion, and they are the backbone of your engine draw then is it usually the right play to have one miss the shuffle just to attack your opponent?

It must be different when talking about stackable attacks like Torturer when you'd rather play multiples.  But I am often faced with a situation where I want to keep attacking my opponent but then my next shuffle can't draw as well.

Thoughts?

Witch, I almost always play (if there are Curses left). With Margrave, if I've already played one this turn AND I don't need any more Coins AND I don't need a buy, I won't play it. Minion you can always play for Coins; I don't think the attack is worth forcing your own reshuffle nearly as often there.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:17:40 pm by LastFootnote »

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 02:09:47 pm »

Witch, I almost always play. With Margrave, if I've already played one this turn AND I don't need any more Coins AND I don't need a buy, I won't play it. Minion you can always play for Coins; I don't think the attack is worth forcing your own reshuffle nearly as often there.
This.  Off the top of my head, the other big ones I can think of are Torturer, Rabble and Cultist.  Cultist, I probably always play for the same reasons as Witch.  The others have less clear answers.  Torturer depends on what you think the opponent will do: Will s/he take a Curse or a (further?) reduced hand?  Do you need him/her to do that badly enough at this point in the game to accept a bad reshuffle for yourself?  That can be a tough call.  Rabble, I think I'd rarely take the bad shuffle, but I'm not that good at tracking my opponent's deck.  I imagine one could know when that extra Rabble play is likely to give your opponent a dead hand, and when that might be worth eating a bad shuffle. 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 02:54:25 pm »

I have won some games by ignoring strong trashing and going BM instead. Trashing is not important in a BM game.

Trashing is for engines. Chapel into BM is bad.

Great Points!

Thoughts?

Yeah, anything that curses is probably a good idea to play it now. Torturer you can wait on if it'll help more for draw in your next shuffle.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 04:15:03 pm »

Great Points!

Thoughts?

Yeah, anything that curses is probably a good idea to play it now. Torturer you can wait on if it'll help more for draw in your next shuffle.

Cursors are ignorable in a game with really strong trashing (mainly chapel) and engines.
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 04:17:52 pm »

Great Points!

Thoughts?

Cursors are ignorable in a game with really strong trashing (mainly chapel) and engines.

Not "mainly chapel." Chapel, Remake, Forager, Ambassador, Masquerade, Count sometimes, Forge and even some weak trashers if there a good enough engine.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 07:13:07 pm »
+9

Great Points!

Thoughts?

You might misclick a lot if you ignore your cursor, though...
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 07:33:45 pm »
+1

Great Points!

Thoughts?

When a card misses the reshuffle, you won't play it during the next shuffle. If you choose not to play it so that it doesn't miss the reshuffle, you don't play it this shuffle. So you are playing that card the same number of times regardless of what you do, only the second option comes later, and for all you know you will draw it dead.
So in most cases, you should play it, unless the attack part is not that important (margraves after the first, for example) and you've already have enough coin to buy whatever. Or if you've drawn your deck with some sifter help, in which case you most certainly don't want to trigger a reshuffle that will only consist of your bad cards.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 06:28:10 am »
+1

Great Points!

Thoughts?

When a card misses the reshuffle, you won't play it during the next shuffle. If you choose not to play it so that it doesn't miss the reshuffle, you don't play it this shuffle. So you are playing that card the same number of times regardless of what you do, only the second option comes later, and for all you know you will draw it dead.
So in most cases, you should play it, unless the attack part is not that important (margraves after the first, for example) and you've already have enough coin to buy whatever. Or if you've drawn your deck with some sifter help, in which case you most certainly don't want to trigger a reshuffle that will only consist of your bad cards.
Or if the card is also an engine part and you'd rather have it drawn with the other parts next shuffle.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 12:54:28 pm »
+3

Or if the card is also an engine part and you'd rather have it drawn with the other parts next shuffle.

(Man I had to dig deep to find that one)
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

RD

• Thief
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 10:59:45 pm »
+2

Plus if you don't play it now, it has a chance to miss the next reshuffle!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.