Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Did I misplay this?  (Read 1779 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Did I misplay this?
« on: December 05, 2011, 10:59:06 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/05/game-20111205-070839-4a20f863.html

We had the same strategy, using the Spice Merchant to mill down our decks, and buying Villages and Conspirators to get to Provinces.  The only strategic difference was my buying a Council Room for drawing power and +buy, my opponent buying a Fishing Village (I bought one by misclick, preferring the +draw on Village), and my attempt to catch up by buying a Gold after I was down two Provinces.

I got crushed.  What happened?  Is the Council Room really a bad buy on this board?

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
Re: Did I misplay this?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 11:24:04 am »

There is just absolutely no possible way ever you should buy a Village over a Fishing Village.  FV should really be priced at $4.

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:35:14 am »

There is just absolutely no possible way ever you should buy a Village over a Fishing Village.  FV should really be priced at $4.

Disagree. The village can be better for conspirator chains, like this board.

OP: You might have bought too many villages early, and early silver will help you buy more conspirators. Also, your council room was dangerous: every time but one that you played it, your opponent answered by buying a province. You can get the buy you need from spice merchant, i guess.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 11:38:18 am »

I don't agree with Kahryl. Village is sometimes better than a fishing village.
In a conspirator chain, for example. FV give not card. Village yes.

But, in a village/+card engine, like councilroom, you should buy FV.

Otherwise, your strategy was right. I don't understand why you lost...

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 11:40:44 am »

I got crushed.  What happened?

I'd say your opponent did two things to avoid the trap you fell into. You trashed out copper with the spice merchant to draw more cards and then found you'd drawn estates and didn't have more than 3 to spend. Well that always was the likely result and you probably gambled too much on your single conspirator giving you spending. Your opponent used the spice trader for +2$ and bought the single fishing village to assure a little more spending.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 02:33:18 pm »

I *think* the difference came down to this - your opponent had more money.

Here were a few points where he got that extra money.
1) Your opponent bought Fishing Village as his second Village, where you got a vanilla Village.
2) Once, early on, he used a Spice Merchant for +$2 to buy a Conspirator. You had a situation where you used it for +2 cards, and later in that turn bought a 2-cost crossroads. (I think that was shuffle luck, since that turn you drew 2 copper, 2 estate, 1 spice Merchant. But still, he had a point where he used it for an early $2 for a conspirator).
3) The turn after that, he used 6 to get Conspirator+Crossroads.
4) And then, YOU used 6 to buy a Council Room (which does not give you any cash!)

By this point in the game, he has four Conspirators to your one, and he had enough villages to activate them. Your Council Room even helped him activate them - at least one of those turns, he didn't have the cards to start a conspirator chain until your CR gave him an extra one. He had enough in his deck to buy provinces now, whereas you still had to take two more turns to buy some more conspirators - and that was the difference.

The game was still pretty close; the final score was 39-31, and even though the province split looked like it was 6-2, it could have easily been 5-3. It was a difference of 1-2 turns or so. A single shuffle going the other way could have swung it.

That's my interpretation of when he actually got ahead of you. Really close game though, I can't claim that I would have done any better.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:36:36 pm by ftl »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 21 queries.