Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46]  All

Author Topic: Maths thread.  (Read 139761 times)

faust

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +3828
    • View Profile
Re: Maths thread.
« Reply #1125 on: April 11, 2020, 07:46:59 am »
+4

It's tough, and I don't think there is a consistent way of saying what is or isn't a number across all of mathematics. You could say something like "any structure that allows arithmetic in a way such that it contains the natural numbers", and that would cover a lot, but it would also make you call matrix rings or rational functions numbers, and arguably even weirder things like isomorphism classes of surfaces.

I think the process of calling something a number is more inductive - like, you start with the natural numbers, wich are the "original" numbers. And whenever you encounter a problem that you cannot solve using your existing classes of numbers (what is 2-5? What is 2/9? What is sqrt(-1)? How many elements does the set of natural numbers contain?), mathematicians are prone to call the structure they come up with to solve that issue a class of "numbers" again.

Which would make a number "any element of a structure that solves a general problem for which the natural numbers provide solutions in special circumstances".
Since the number of points is within a constant factor of the number of city quarters, in the long run we can get (4 - ε) ↑↑ n points in n turns for any ε > 0.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3780
    • View Profile
Re: Maths thread.
« Reply #1126 on: April 11, 2020, 01:08:27 pm »

Thatís how I understand it as well.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46]  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.