Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Targeted Discard Attack  (Read 2489 times)

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
Targeted Discard Attack
« on: May 08, 2014, 12:05:58 pm »

Card Name $5 Action - Attack
+$2
Each other player draws a card, then reveals his hand and discards a card that you choose

It can be weakened by making the players draw the card after you choose which one you want them to discard.

Any feedback on the card, as well as names for the card, is welcome!
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Targeted Discard Attack
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 12:15:34 pm »
+1

Card Name $5 Action - Attack
+$2
Each other player draws a card, then reveals his hand and discards a card that you choose

It can be weakened by making the players draw the card after you choose which one you want them to discard.

Any feedback on the card, as well as names for the card, is welcome!

The problem I see here is that unlike Pillage, this attack is stackable (barring Governor paired with Pillage).  Matching this with KC is going to be really awful for all other players... Not quite a pin but close, especially in non-engine games.

At the same time, it's not too horribly strong when no villages are around, especially as it can be discarded.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 12:15:53 pm »
+6

as well as names for the card, is welcome!

Killage

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 12:16:16 pm »
+1

I think this is way too strong. And it stacks, so playing a couple of this can semi-pin people. A third problem: I think it is really slow to resolve. At least with Pillage you usually have to resolve at most one per-turn, and it is a one-shot. This card can potentially require several resolves per turn for a long time. It is not difficult to have only one village, or one draw in hand. I think even drawing after discarding is not weak enough.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 02:39:48 pm »
+2

Part of the reason I think Pillage is a one shot is because it's just a rude attack. Its not something people find fun when it happens all the time. I buy cards to play them, not for you to discard them every turn.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 10:15:11 pm »
+1

I would replace the attack part with:

"Name two cards with cost five or less. All other players discard a card with that name, or reveal a hand with no matching cards. All other players draw up to five cards"

The "draw up to" is to limit the potential nastiness with militia of your version. The naming makes it less powerful against engines since you have to guess what they have in their hand, and it can't target gold anymore. You can still stack it (which I guess was what you were trying to do), but it won't hurt as much. Might want to increase the bonus though.

The problem with straight "look at your hand and you discard what I want" is how easily you can pin your opponent if you get your engine rolling, I agree that drawing only one card after the discard wouldn't be enough to balance the card... but obviously I can't be sure without actually playtesting the card.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:17:03 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 07:36:51 am »
+2

"Name two cards with cost five or less. All other players discard a card with that name, or reveal a hand with no matching cards. All other players draw up to five cards"

I think I would usually choose to draw 5 cards.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 07:42:38 am »
+1

I think I would usually choose to draw 5 cards.

::)

"... in hand."

EDIT: a better criticism would have been that this version of the card is stronger with two players than with four, and that it's a bit political ("Why did you say margrave when Johnny is winning and he hasn't bought any? Say King's court instead!"), but other ways to phrase this that solve those problems seem awkward ("Name a card for every other player. That player has to discard a card with that name or reveal a hand with no matching cards" is a bit wonky).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:18:17 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 01:13:44 pm »

Name a cost (maybe <6, or at least <9, since discarding platinum is nasty), others discard something with that cost or reveal hand. I think this would be nicer and cleaner. You could start on Duchies early if you are going to be discarding 5s, and that is a neat tactical thing to add too.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 02:48:47 pm »

I would replace the attack part with:

The "draw up to" is to limit the potential nastiness with militia of your version. The naming makes it less powerful against engines since you have to guess what they have in their hand, and it can't target gold anymore. You can still stack it (which I guess was what you were trying to do), but it won't hurt as much. Might want to increase the bonus though.

The problem with straight "look at your hand and you discard what I want" is how easily you can pin your opponent if you get your engine rolling, I agree that drawing only one card after the discard wouldn't be enough to balance the card... but obviously I can't be sure without actually playtesting the card.

I added that version to Wrclass's Cards
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 21 queries.