Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Let's discuss - the best designed card  (Read 22125 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Let's discuss - the best designed card
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2014, 08:20:56 pm »

In a slightly different vein, I want to praise Chancellor and Swindler for wording choices that made Tunnel and Market Square work correctly all those years and expansions later.

(Chancellor: "put your deck into your discard pile" where it might otherwise have said "discard your deck"; Swindler: "Each other player trashes the top card" vs. "Trash the top card of each other player's deck")
"Each other player trashes the top card of his deck and gains etc" is obviously much more elegant than anything with "Trash the top card of each other player's deck". I don't think it could have been any other way.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2014, 08:28:48 pm »
+4

In a slightly different vein, I want to praise Chancellor and Swindler for wording choices that made Tunnel and Market Square work correctly all those years and expansions later.

(Chancellor: "put your deck into your discard pile" where it might otherwise have said "discard your deck"; Swindler: "Each other player trashes the top card" vs. "Trash the top card of each other player's deck")

An alternative wording on Swindler would make no difference to Market Square: Market Square reads "When one of your cards is trashed...", so it would activate even if another player trashed one of your cards. The card that really benefits from the carefully-worded Swindler is Fortress! If Swindler said "Trash the top card of each other player's deck": we'd have situations like "Okay, I trash your Fortress...putting it into my hand...and you can have a Scout in return".

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2014, 08:19:49 am »

That's why Magic has the Controler/Owner wording. This would be equally fine here.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2014, 08:31:34 am »

That's why Magic has the Controler/Owner wording. This would be equally fine here.
Who would be the owner in Dominion? The guy who actually owns the game?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2014, 08:31:46 am »

An alternative wording on Swindler would make no difference to Market Square: Market Square reads "When one of your cards is trashed...", so it would activate even if another player trashed one of your cards. The card that really benefits from the carefully-worded Swindler is Fortress! If Swindler said "Trash the top card of each other player's deck": we'd have situations like "Okay, I trash your Fortress...putting it into my hand...and you can have a Scout in return".

Oh. Yes, you are totally correct.  :-[

papaHav

• Navigator
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2014, 12:30:15 am »
+2

Watchtower.
After buying the base game and playing it to pieces, watchtowers design proved to me the game had long-term potential

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2014, 04:14:14 pm »

Well, Tunnel could also work "correctly" with the other Chancellor wording, just differently from the way it is now (in the non-German versions >:(). I don't think it would have overpowered either card. But I also prefer the actual wording.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.