Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Jack BM vs. Jack pseudoengine  (Read 7944 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: Jack BM vs. Jack pseudoengine
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 06:48:21 pm »

Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 07:20:27 pm »

Fascinating

http://www.twitch.tv/adamhorton/b/526192392

It seems like in the slog, Silk Road should take priority over Duchy.  With 8 Silk Roads and 3 Estates, you only need 1 more Victory card (Harems) to make them equal, and the other Harems and Duchies you pick up should bump them up to the 5VP range.  The Province player may deny 1 or 2 Silk Roads, but probably not more. If you empty the Duchy pile first, you run the risk of not being able to empty Silk Roads before the money deck empties Province.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 07:41:52 pm »

Fascinating

http://www.twitch.tv/adamhorton/b/526192392

It seems like in the slog, Silk Road should take priority over Duchy.  With 8 Silk Roads and 3 Estates, you only need 1 more Victory card (Harems) to make them equal, and the other Harems and Duchies you pick up should bump them up to the 5VP range.  The Province player may deny 1 or 2 Silk Roads, but probably not more. If you empty the Duchy pile first, you run the risk of not being able to empty Silk Roads before the money deck empties Province.

I completely agree, during the last game of those, I was sure Silk Road would be much better, even quite early, when Adam bought Duchies. After all, its 2VP more per Silk Road (eventually), and only gives your opponent 1VP for every Duchy they can buy (compared to Harem/ their Silk Roads). I guess it was easier to see that watching the stream (and counting the number of Victory cards in deck more carefully).
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 07:53:59 pm »

Anyone (with cards, I don't have them) would like to try it with me now?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2014, 04:12:06 am »

I didn't get a Spice Merchant because of my draws when I was playing the engine, but I'm not sure if it was correct to skip it. I was cycling too slowly in the end game because of that.

Also, the Havens I bought should've been Pawns; I thought that they are great with Shanty Town because they let me remove Action cards from my current hand, but that ended up being not as great as I thought, since I actually wanted the Action cards in the earlier hands most of the time and just set aside some Victory cards. I'm not sure if having Pawn instead of Haven would have changed a lot in the early game, but definitely when I had $7 and a Haven, Pawn instead of Haven would've won the game for me.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 10:04:00 am »

The Engine could "ignore" Provinces and go for triple-Silk road turns. It should be able to get at least 4 Silk Roads. The Slog, especially when attacked will not be able to catch a lot of Provinces. It will spike one every now and then, but it won't be able to end the game on an early win. So denying the Silk Roads must be the way to do this - if there is one. Even for the Engine player Silk Roads will be better than Duchies, plus, the Enginge can pick up those Provinces later on while the slog cannot.

In fact, that Margrave "attack" actually helps the Slog player - and it does help a lot more than I thought at first. You're still guaranteed to hit $4 and you can play a Shanty Town, a Smuggler or a JoaT or you have at least $5, sometimes $6.
Since the Silk Roads are so important, I think, you have to rush them and prioritze them over Harems once you've got doubleJack. They will be worth 5-6 VP each.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.