Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Discard to gain (not playtested)  (Read 1434 times)

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
Discard to gain (not playtested)
« on: May 04, 2014, 05:44:10 am »
+1

Wine Cellar
$4 Action
+1 card
Discard any number of cards. Gain a card costing up to the number of cards you discarded in coins.

Despite not playtesting, I have a few comparisons. Secret chamber and Vault gives you coins per card discarded, so this is quite similar. Probably inferior most of the times (can't add value with your Silvers and Golds), but can act as a +buy with very large handsizes. Other comparisons include Feast and Horse Traders, which help you get $5 very easily (but not $6). However it is no good with discard attacks.

Thoughts on my card:
This is probably good in slogs, but can also be good with draw engines. I actually wonder if it's possible to have an engine which gains Provinces (and even Colonies) with this card.

And one more thing: can anyone give a good name for this card? Thanks :)

EDIT: Thanks Awaclus for the suggestion of the name Wine Cellar.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 05:01:13 am by dominator 123 »
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Discard to gain (not playtested)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 06:29:40 am »
+2

Wine Cellar? It's uniform with the Cellar/Storeroom/Vault etc where you can store things and the cards themselves are discard for benefit, and it somehow fits with all of the other $5-gainers (Feast, Altar and University all have lots of connections to wine, and Death Cart too, if you want to look at it as a $5-gainer!) and the card even has synergy with Vineyard.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 03:21:53 pm »

I actually wonder if it's possible to have an engine which gains Provinces (and even Colonies) with this card.

Scrying Pool could definitely gain Provinces.  Madman and Counting House both have huge draw too.  I could even engines based on Apothecary, Native Village, or... Scout?
Well you *do* need a signature...

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 04:18:16 pm »
+1

A card by awildnoobappeared from the Cornucopia contest:
Dairy
Types: Action
Cost: $5
+3 Cards. Reveal then discard any number of cards. If you discarded any cards, gain a card with cost up to $1 plus the number of differently named cards discarded. If you discarded at least 3 differently named cards, +1 Action.
This card did pretty well in the contest (tied for 6th out of 29). I bring it up to show that other people also apparently think this is a good idea.
Personally, I like your version better (mainly because I don't really like the 'differently named cards' mechanic with this, but also yours is simpler).
As for the name, I agree with Awaclus' suggestion 'Wine Cellar'.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 04:21:02 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 05:53:27 pm »

I actually wonder if it's possible to have an engine which gains Provinces (and even Colonies) with this card.

Scrying Pool could definitely gain Provinces.  Madman and Counting House both have huge draw too.  I could even engines based on Apothecary, Native Village, or... Scout?
Scout is actually very interesting. If you have drawn your deck somehow (probably not Scout) and you discard only green and gain green, Scout is guaranteed to draw 4 cards. Two Scouts and one Some Name gives you a Province if you're green enough. I mean, it's still not groundbreaking, since you need all of those green cards in your deck for it to work like that, but at least it's an actual use for Scout.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.