Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is that a Horn of Plenty in your pocket, or are you just happy to see your deck?  (Read 4454 times)

ckd

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile

I managed to get a Colony off of a HoP play, without any cost reducing cards.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110609-201054-6daacb99.html

I also wound up with something like 8 buys and 20+ leftover actions.  Too bad I didn't have a Diadem!

I could get anything up to $13, in a no-Tournament no-Black Market no-Young Witch game.  The regular 3 treasures + Platinum + Potion + 8 of the 10 kingdom cards (no Mining Villages or Navigators in play) did it:

KC:Native Village
KC:KC:(Hunting Party:Worker's Village:KC(Hunting Party:Alchemist:Worker's Village))
Smithy
Hunting Party (which hunted down my only remaining card since all my other WVs were in play)
Worker's Village
Fortune Teller
Fortune Teller

I then played 6 different treasures (counting the HoP), grabbed the second-to-last Colony, and bought up the last one along with a few Provinces for good measure.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy

Wow.  That is crazy!  I don't usually play heavy KC action decks, but every so often I just get totally burned by those decks and HoP and make me wish that I bought more KC's.

And yeah, I've never run into a KC & Diadem game, but a $20+ treasure would be unreal.

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile

it took me a while to realize its cards in "play"... yeah im a lil slow and should of read the card better
 :-[

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
+1

My strategy with Horns of plenty in action heavy games usually goes like this:
1.Buy 1 Horn of plenty
2.Use it in the early game to gain one or two more
3.Trash them all at the end for whatever you can get - Duchies, Provinces, even Estates.
Alternately, if your engine relies on lots of three and four cards, it can help you build it up faster. But most of the time I think it's a pretty good source of last-minute tie-breaker points that your opponent can't mimic unless he or she has also been buying Horns of Plenty. I've won a few games that way.

Never gotten it UP TO ELEVEN though. That's impressive.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile

My strategy with Horns of plenty in action heavy games usually goes like this:
1.Buy 1 Horn of plenty
2.Use it in the early game to gain one or two more
3.Trash them all at the end for whatever you can get - Duchies, Provinces, even Estates.
Alternately, if your engine relies on lots of three and four cards, it can help you build it up faster. But most of the time I think it's a pretty good source of last-minute tie-breaker points that your opponent can't mimic unless he or she has also been buying Horns of Plenty. I've won a few games that way.

Never gotten it UP TO ELEVEN though. That's impressive.

I presume you mean in draw heavy games, for without being able to draw well, Horn of Plenty is not as powerful.  Otherwise, I agree with you completely, having several in my deck at the end of the game has been a great tiebreaker.  Another thing I like is that it's certainly better to play a card like Smithy with a Horn of Plenty than without; if I don't have any extra actions, I'm probably trying to draw treasure, and even if I don't draw enough, I'm still getting $1/differently named card.  Sounds like a good deal to me!
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

drg

• Spy
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile

I've gotten to 11 with it before, but not in colony games :/. 

Cards like menagerie, pawn, wishing well, market, peddler, pearl diver, etc all work really well with horn of plenty.  If it's in play with menagerie and you can put together a deck that's several menageries and 1 of many other action and 1 of each money type, you'll be getting crazy stuff with the horns (as long as the actions are playable).

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile

Funny that I see this article. Just earlier today, I played a game with Worker's (Workers'?) Village, Spy, Farming Village, Wishing Well, Scrying Pool and Horn of Plenty. I basically built up my deck by using HoP to get copies of the non-terminals, Grand Markets and Platinums. On my final turn, I trashed 5 HoP to get 5 Colonies and bought the remaining two in addition to buying a Province and Duchy. Each HoP was for up to $12 I believe, though on another turn, I saw it go up to $13. Here is the link: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201106/19/game-20110619-171511-8f158602.html

The final buy phase:
Young Nick plays 3 Platinums, a Potion, 4 Coppers, and a Talisman.
Young Nick plays a Horn of Plenty.
... gaining a Colony.
... trashing the Horn of Plenty.
... gaining a Colony.
... gaining a Colony.
... gaining a Colony.
... gaining a Colony.
Young Nick buys a Colony.
Young Nick buys a Colony.
Young Nick buys a Province.
Young Nick buys a Duchy.
(Young Nick draws: a Grand Market, a Silver, a Spy, a Wishing Well, and a Worker's Village.)

All Colonies are gone.
Young Nick wins!

Needless to say, it was a fun, exciting turn.

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile

What was not mentioned yet: Horn of Plenty should always be considered with Duke in the Setup. This seems to be obvious now as we have a little experience with the card, but it wasn't for me back than: "Why on earth is he buying a Great Hall at turn 6?". I really like how Cornucopia subtly changes game dynamics like this.
So the following example is not as spectacular as the King's Court ones, but shows a well tought out plan by Ben Warden - one of the top players - to get the Horn exactly to five. He bought all Horns (!) - only the last one to deplete piles:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110524-095322-cb8f70f4.html
Crucial turn 17:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110524-095322-cb8f70f4.html#BenWarden-show-turn-17
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.501 seconds with 20 queries.