Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 49  All

Author Topic: Mafia XLIV: Donald's Greater Idea Mafia (Werewolves Win!)  (Read 157025 times)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XLIV: Donald's Greater Idea Mafia (Day 2!)
« Reply #925 on: May 30, 2014, 10:43:51 am »

the case against Axxle is that he has acted more like a mafia governor than a scum governor -- using his power to save himself and not much else.

He was put in a tough spot though. I can't really say I blame him.

No, it's about what he's (not) done today. If he's town, he saved his own mislynch D1. Cool. What is he making of that life since?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: May 30, 2014, 10:44:19 am »

Which isn't to say, "Nothing! Let's lynch him!" it's to say, "Gee, seems more like the kind of fading into the background scum would rather do."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: May 30, 2014, 10:53:06 am »

the case against Axxle is that he has acted more like a mafia governor than a scum governor -- using his power to save himself and not much else.

I assume you mean town, but I agree.

C'mon, everyone who was willing to put IG at L-1 - let's do that to BA! Or Axxle! Or WW! (in that order I think)

Yes!  Maybe!  No!

Vote: BA

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: May 30, 2014, 10:55:26 am »

Vote: BA
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: May 30, 2014, 10:58:15 am »

L-2! Good work everyone, but don't stop now.

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: May 30, 2014, 11:30:19 am »

Guys, this is not a probability game, it's a social one.

Exactly. But if people use probabilities they better use them correctly

Town is now "unmarked white balls"? That's just wrong...

So let's imagine experiment: ...

Thanks for the convenient way of thinking of it.  But this doesn't contradict what I said, right?  I said that the chance that an arbitrary one of is is town is (likely) less than 1/2. So if someone is (currently) 50/50, that actually suggests that you should be more inclined to think them town, not scum, if you're basing on probabilities (which you shouldn't).  Axxle and SP shouldn't be thought of as 50/50 given the new information, because they have a greater than 50/50 chance to be scum (according to the thought experiment, the same as any of us). 

My intuition did tell me that if, previously, the 50/50 people were more likely to be scum than an arbitrary one of us, then after the new information that we had, they would still be more likely than an arbitrary one of us.  Though my intuition on probability is always wrong.  But that's still not important to the point I was making.

The point I was making was that BA's reason for suspecting Axxle was very weak, which is relevant because (a) Someone just previously voted for Axxle, and (b) BA was previously called out for sheeping while providing shaky justification.

But some event that was 50% on D1 is not 50% now. That's what I was saying

Back to continuing my reread

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: May 30, 2014, 11:30:35 am »

Alright guys, I am town and have the ability to kill myself and become like joth if I claim my role. My card is Embargo.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: May 30, 2014, 11:30:54 am »

In other words, I would be dead, but can't vote.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: May 30, 2014, 11:32:08 am »

I mean, I meant to say that I can still post but can't vote.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: May 30, 2014, 11:33:58 am »

Guys, this is not a probability game, it's a social one.

Exactly. But if people use probabilities they better use them correctly

Town is now "unmarked white balls"? That's just wrong...

So let's imagine experiment: ...

Thanks for the convenient way of thinking of it.  But this doesn't contradict what I said, right?  I said that the chance that an arbitrary one of is is town is (likely) less than 1/2. So if someone is (currently) 50/50, that actually suggests that you should be more inclined to think them town, not scum, if you're basing on probabilities (which you shouldn't).  Axxle and SP shouldn't be thought of as 50/50 given the new information, because they have a greater than 50/50 chance to be scum (according to the thought experiment, the same as any of us). 

My intuition did tell me that if, previously, the 50/50 people were more likely to be scum than an arbitrary one of us, then after the new information that we had, they would still be more likely than an arbitrary one of us.  Though my intuition on probability is always wrong.  But that's still not important to the point I was making.

The point I was making was that BA's reason for suspecting Axxle was very weak, which is relevant because (a) Someone just previously voted for Axxle, and (b) BA was previously called out for sheeping while providing shaky justification.

But some event that was 50% on D1 is not 50% now. That's what I was saying

Back to continuing my reread

That's exactly what I was saying :)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: May 30, 2014, 11:38:31 am »

Alright guys, I am town and have the ability to kill myself and become like joth if I claim my role. My card is Embargo.

I'm inclined to believe this.  It's verifiable and there is only one.. doesn't seem like a likely fake claim.

Unvote

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: May 30, 2014, 11:55:06 am »

I'm inclined to believe this.  It's verifiable and there is only one.. doesn't seem like a likely fake claim.

Unvote

Really? Seems like a plausible fake claim to me. The only way to verify it is for him to use the power, which we obviously aren't going to ask him to do. There's only one of most roles anyway, and scum is more likely to pick something that there's only one of, since picking something with multiple copies will be seen as scummy.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: May 30, 2014, 12:03:28 pm »

Unvote

Really? Seems like a plausible fake claim to me. The only way to verify it is for him to use the power, which we obviously aren't going to ask him to do. There's only one of most roles anyway, and scum is more likely to pick something that there's only one of, since picking something with multiple copies will be seen as scummy.

I mean, if people really want to doubt me, I would be willing to use my power. Personally, I would rather not die, but at least, I can still participate in the game and give reads even if I don't get a vote.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: May 30, 2014, 12:11:17 pm »

Unvote

I'm also considering that it's his first game. I understand what you're saying, but I have some trouble disbelieving it here. 

Also, do you think he had this prepared? Possibly, but he didn't know a lot of the roles, has to look up all possible ones on the list then look up each on Mafiascum and check it's plausible, card not discarded, etc.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: May 30, 2014, 12:30:56 pm »

I mean, he did say earlier this day that he had just spent time looking up roles. I don't think it's safe to assume that he's uninformed.

And BA, if that is your power, you shouldn't use it right now. Another town player losing their vote is the last thing we need.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: May 30, 2014, 12:39:13 pm »

I mean, he did say earlier this day that he had just spent time looking up roles. I don't think it's safe to assume that he's uninformed.

And BA, if that is your power, you shouldn't use it right now. Another town player losing their vote is the last thing we need.

I agree. My thought process though if that if I were to use my power at least other town would know that I would be giving unbiased reads. But, right now, town is really hurting, so every vote does count.

I do admit that I made some mistakes that have made me look scummy. I am still figuring out the ropes. For instance, when I responded to joth and voted for Ichi, I was agreeing with joth because for one, I know for 100% he is town and I felt his reasons were good, so I offered my reasoning, but in retrospect, I can see how that could have made me look like scum.

Also, some of my comments have come from me earlier not realizing how people's roles worked and whatnot. So, I may have said things that may look stupid like saying it was almost guaranteed Volt was Town.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: May 30, 2014, 01:03:10 pm »

So, BA, you said first round you discarded King's Court because you thought it would enhance the role form the card that you kept.

Why did you discard Altar this round?

And while I'm asking, to Ichi, why did you discard Moat?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: May 30, 2014, 01:13:24 pm »

So, BA, you said first round you discarded King's Court because you thought it would enhance the role form the card that you kept.

I thought that the roles were sort of a reverse psychology thing. So, I figured that by discarding King's Court, I would end up with a more powerful card. The reason I discarded Altar is for the same reason, out of the two cards, I felt it was more powerful so by discarding it, I felt I would get a more powerful role. Honestly, though, I had no idea what I was doing with the card choices. This was my first game, so I did not know what to expect.

Also, I do have a question, since KC is a one-shot Kingmaker, what does that mean exactly?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 30, 2014, 01:16:03 pm »

I thought that the roles were sort of a reverse psychology thing. So, I figured that by discarding King's Court, I would end up with a more powerful card. The reason I discarded Altar is for the same reason, out of the two cards, I felt it was more powerful so by discarding it, I felt I would get a more powerful role. Honestly, though, I had no idea what I was doing with the card choices. This was my first game, so I did not know what to expect.

Also, I do have a question, since KC is a one-shot Kingmaker, what does that mean exactly?

I guess it's something like this: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Kingmaker_(game)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: May 30, 2014, 01:18:44 pm »

Well, even though mail-mi said that the relative power of a role wouldn't be related to its power as a card. Since I didn't have much of an idea of what they would do, I picked chapel because I like that card better--and it's a more powerful card in dominion at least.

Keeping moat would have made me a retired werewolf hunter it looks like?
Is that werewolf faction, or like someone who hunts werewolves?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: May 30, 2014, 01:24:44 pm »

Well, even though mail-mi said that the relative power of a role wouldn't be related to its power as a card. Since I didn't have much of an idea of what they would do, I picked chapel because I like that card better--and it's a more powerful card in dominion at least.

Keeping moat would have made me a retired werewolf hunter it looks like?
Is that werewolf faction, or like someone who hunts werewolves?

Hoo-ra!  http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Greater_Idea_Mafia/RolePMs

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: May 30, 2014, 01:52:27 pm »

boy this game is frustrating. for me. at this moment. because I am a stump.

"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 30, 2014, 01:54:04 pm »

You said earlier you wanted to talk about Axxle and Voltaire, but then the BA thing took off.  What did you want to say about them?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: May 30, 2014, 02:04:46 pm »

I don't know what to make of either of them. More and more I like the Axxle lynch over the Voltaire lynch.

Here is one thing. Axxle is half-cleared. We had two cops. We might have a seer. If we have a seer, then we can get him more cleared. I mean, he could be an alien or a SK.

Are cops in this game just useless? geez.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 30, 2014, 02:05:25 pm »

in fact, we know we have at least one alien.

He/him
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.