Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 49 [All]

Author Topic: Mafia XLIV: Donald's Greater Idea Mafia (Werewolves Win!)  (Read 31114 times)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
Mafia XLIV: Donald's Greater Idea Mafia (Werewolves Win!)
« on: April 29, 2014, 11:23:08 pm »

Welcome to

Mafia XLIV: Donald's Greater Idea Mafia!

Signups are open!
1. Twistedarcher An Adventurer, a Town Tracker--Killed N1
2. Voltaire
3. Robz888 A Tunneler, a Town Hider--Lynched D1
4. Ichimaru Gin
5. Axxle
6. Teproc A Pillager, a 1-shot Town Dayvig--Killed N1
7. Witherweaver
8. scott_pilgrim
9. Beyond Awesome
10. jotheonah A Spy, a Town Cop--Treestumped N1
11. XerxesPraelor
12. A Drowned Kernel A Golem, a 2-shot Bulletproof Serial Killer--Lynched D2
13. EgorK
14. chairs Archetype
15. xeiron A Spy, a Town Cop--Killed N1
16. Nik

Mod: mail-mi. Comod: AndrewisFTTW

Basic Mafia Ruleset changes in limegreen

The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun!  Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Please read The Civility Pledge before signing up for any mafia game on this site.  If you have not /pledged there, you cannot play.

Excessive personal attacks or uncivil behavior may be dealt with by modifiers or modkills.

Game Summary:

Mafia is a social deduction game.  There is an "informed minority" (the mafia) and an "uninformed majority" (the town).  The mafia know who each other are, and are trying to be the only people left alive.  The town doesn't know who anybody else is, and are trying to find and lynch all of the mafia.  The mafia, to make sure the town doesn't know who they are, must pretend to be town to win.  The mafia usually can kill at night, to help them in being the only ones left alive.

1. General Gameplay and Etiquette:

1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind.  Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.  Mafia members may communicate at night and during the confirmation stage.
3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to all mods by the posted deadline (generally 48 hours from Night start during the first few Nights; later Nights may have shorter deadlines).  If we do not receive your PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.  In case of multiple submissions, the last valid one before the deadline will be used.  If your Night action was mandatory, it will be decided randomly.
4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mods know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
6. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 24 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.

2. Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:

1. A simple majority (rounded up) of all living members must agree on one person for a lynch to occur prior to deadline.
2. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.  Further votes will also be ignored.
3. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until the mods lock the thread; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
4. Day 1 will last 7 days. Subsequent days will last 10 days. IF THERE ARE 6 OR LESS PLAYERS STILL ALIVE, DAYS WILL LAST 7 DAYS.
5. If there is no majority at day deadline, a No Lynch will occur.
6. Please submit votes as: Vote: PlayerName.  Votes will NOT be counted if they are not bold or do not follow this syntax! Obvious abbreviations or nicknames will be counted so long as they are unambiguous.
7. Please submit vote revocations as either Unvote: PlayerName or Unvote. Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
8. You may Vote: No Lynch - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a lynch.
9. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post in the game or in Quicktopics. This means that you do not even get a “Bah” post. The dead in this game are silent.
10. If the thread is locked, you may not post.  Threads can be locked for various reasons, but no matter what the reason, you may not post.  The mod may forget to lock the thread, but if they say it is locked, it is still locked.
11. Do not edit or delete posts.  We don't want some players having more information than others.  If you want to clarify posts, feel free to double post. Mods will not edit posts for you.

3. Miscellaneous/Mechanics:

1. Bold, colored text is reserved for the Mods.  No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography.
2. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mods privately.  Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
3. The Mods may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently.  Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed.  These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
4. Please bold all requests to the Mods so that they don’t get missed.
5. Prods of missing players will be issued upon request after 36 hours of no activity.  A prodded player has 48 hours to respond or risks replacement.  A player who has been prodded 2 times is subject to replacement under rule 3.10 without further notice.
6. Please do not discuss ongoing games, it can unintentionally affect the other game.
7. Rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, which may include modkill(s) if needed.
8. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread or the V/LA thread.  Treat this game as a commitment.  Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
9. Players who discover they are too busy to play in a game or want to leave the game for civility issues are not allowed to officially /out in the thread.  A request to /out must only be done via a PM to the moderator.  Please do not use this as a manipulation technique.  (Note players may continue to threaten to /out or imply that they might as long as it does not include an official request).  Requests to /out are final once submitted.  There will be no /outing and then /inning back into the game so make sure that when you /out you have thought it through and really want to do it. Players that can't be replaced will simply be mod-killed.
10. If a player wants to /out, they may be replaced by anyone on D1-N1.  On D2-N2, no one from the speccy may replace the player.  After this, a player who /outs may not be replaced.  It is up to the mod's discretion whether to modkill the player or do something else under these circumstances.

Helpful Links:

Wiki Links:

--Main Wiki Page

--Newbie Guide

--Frequently Asked Questions

--Commonly Used Abbreviations

--Mafia Theory

Forum Links:

--Vacation/Limited Access announcements

--Mafia Lingo/Dictionary

Game specifics to follow.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:38:08 am by ashersky »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XLIII: Donald's Greater Idea Mafia (Signups Open!)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 11:23:20 pm »

Greater Idea Mafia.

Mechanics:
-Daystart
-At the start of the game, each player will receive a PM with 2 Dominion cards. They will then choose 1 card and discard the other. That card will determine their role.
-After every player has chosen their card, if the mods deem the game to be imbalanced, then the cards will be reshuffled and re-dealt.
-Once a balanced game has been created, everyone will be PM'd the role that corresponds to their card.
-A list of all roles and their corresponding cards will be posted on D1, along with each player's discarded cards.
-The Replicant faction will not be used in this game.
-Some card-role connections are really obvious. Some are more obscure.
-Just because a card is more powerful than another does not mean the role is more powerful. The role with Scout may be more powerful than the role with Moutebank!

-Masons are not guaranteed to be town to each other--they are, however, guaranteed not to be mafia.

Also of note: All cards in the deck EXCEPT FOR THE SAULUS ROLE are being used.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:19:03 pm by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 11:45:58 pm »

-A list of all roles and their corresponding cards will be posted on D1, along with each player's discarded cards.

Does this mean that there will be a list of 13 cards but it doesn't say who discarded what, or that it will be announced who discarded which card?

Oh, and /in

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 11:49:23 pm »

Does this mean that there will be a list of 13 cards but it doesn't say who discarded what, or that it will be announced who discarded which card?

Oh, and /in

There will be a list of 13 cards and it won't say who discarded what.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 12:23:52 am »

/tag
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year

Games (30): Mafia: 17, 21, 24, 31, 39, 43, 67, 72, 86 || Newbie: 7 || RMM: 6, 7, 10, 20, 22, 26, 32, 45 || Blitz: 4-7, X, 17-19, 22, 24 || BM: 14, 19

2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

Town: 47 Games, 24 Wins
Scum: 22 Games, 13 Wins
11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 12:29:42 am »

This is XLIV.  44.

Games (30): Mafia: 17, 21, 24, 31, 39, 43, 67, 72, 86 || Newbie: 7 || RMM: 6, 7, 10, 20, 22, 26, 32, 45 || Blitz: 4-7, X, 17-19, 22, 24 || BM: 14, 19

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 12:40:26 am »

/in

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 12:41:16 am »

Oh, it won't? It was my understanding that Greater Idea(s) did show this, hence the wiki comment about how it "skips" RVS? Or did I misunderstand that?

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 12:41:46 am »

I am tempted to join. When do you estimate this will start?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 12:58:17 am »

/in
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 02:08:15 am »

/in

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 02:17:11 am »

Gotta fix the title though.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 02:22:23 am »

/in

I can learn the details later. This looks like it's going to be awesome!

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 02:27:00 am »

Greater idea with balance??? Pfft.

/in
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XLIV: Donald's Greater Idea Mafia (Signups Open!)
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 07:38:47 am »

/in

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 07:59:49 am »

Greater idea with balance??? Pfft.

/in

Yeah this was kinda my thought. We know what we're getting into isn't no guarantee of balance kinda the point?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 10:11:15 am »

Note the new deadline rules.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 10:13:22 am »

Oh, it won't? It was my understanding that Greater Idea(s) did show this, hence the wiki comment about how it "skips" RVS? Or did I misunderstand that?
I might have misunderstood it. Though it doesn't say either in the wiki...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 10:20:02 am »

/in

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 12:29:18 pm »

In greater idea you know who discarded what, it helps to start discussion. In strange idea you don't.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 12:30:05 pm »

But I mean you can always alter it as you want.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 12:38:25 pm »

/in

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 12:55:41 pm »

In greater idea you know who discarded what, it helps to start discussion. In strange idea you don't.
Nvm then, we will know who discarded what.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 01:32:41 pm »

/in
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 02:48:22 pm »

in
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 03:11:19 pm »

I don't think you put me on the list. :)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 04:41:02 pm »

I don't think you put me on the list. :)
you never /inned. is this an /in?

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2014, 04:46:32 pm »

Wow. This is filling up really fast. Sorry to ask again, but when are you thinking you'll start this?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2014, 04:47:33 pm »

Wow. This is filling up really fast. Sorry to ask again, but when are you thinking you'll start this?

after WOT is over.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2014, 04:50:36 pm »

/in
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2014, 05:02:21 pm »

Am I hammering?

/in

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2014, 05:11:12 pm »

There's an ellipsis after the 13th slot in the playercount, I assume that means the number of players is fluid and anyone who wants to join can.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2014, 05:14:54 pm »

There's an ellipsis after the 13th slot in the playercount, I assume that means the number of players is fluid and anyone who wants to join can.

Well with 205 dominion cards including promos, thats...

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2014, 05:28:43 pm »

Are you including Knights and Prizes?

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2014, 05:30:29 pm »

Knights as a stack counting as one, not prizes I though. Do you think they'll be included here?

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2014, 05:33:05 pm »

Knights as a stack counting as one, not prizes I though. Do you think they'll be included here?
The Greater Idea deck only has 139 cards in it, so no need.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2014, 05:34:10 pm »

Is the Ace of Spades in it?

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2014, 05:34:52 pm »

Ok. So what exactly is "The Greater Idea Deck"? (excuse my ignorance) :D

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2014, 05:37:29 pm »

Ok. So what exactly is "The Greater Idea Deck"? (excuse my ignorance) :D
These are all the possible roles in the game (it's also linked in the rules info): http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Greater_Idea_Mafia

I'm not exactly sure how it's going to happen this game, but in normal Greater Idea Mafia games you get dealt 2 of these cards randomly, chose one and discard the other. I've played this IRL once where 5 of 9 players were masons, haha.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2014, 06:04:07 pm »

I could also use a co mod for anyone who is willing.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2014, 06:06:00 pm »

/in

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2014, 06:07:32 pm »

So I'm looking through the deck on mafiascum, and it seems like there's a lot of stuff in there that usually isn't considered "normal", but this game counts as standard? Just curious.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2014, 06:08:21 pm »

So this filled really fast. However, it will not start until Wheel of Time is officially over.

In the meantime, go sign up for Monsters U mafia, as that only needs one more player to start.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2014, 06:10:47 pm »

So this filled really fast. However, it will not start until Wheel of Time is officially over.

In the meantime, go sign up for Monsters U mafia, as that only needs one more player to start.

Yes!  And also Innovation II!

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2014, 06:38:05 pm »

Notice: changes to the mechanics, and the deadline rules.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2014, 06:46:14 pm »

I really really like the deadline rules

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2014, 06:58:17 pm »

So I'm looking through the deck on mafiascum, and it seems like there's a lot of stuff in there that usually isn't considered "normal", but this game counts as standard? Just curious.
I agree this isn't very normal, but there are plenty of other setups that aren't really normal that have made it into normalcy on this site. Bus Driver, redirectors, weird mechanics, etc.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2014, 06:59:04 pm »

I really really like the deadline rules
Thanks  ;D

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2014, 07:07:55 pm »

Plus, the mod will be reviewing the setup for something close to balance-ish prior to the game, and we'll "re-roll" if needed.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2014, 07:35:00 pm »

I'd be down for Co-Modding but I would have absolutely no idea what to do. That probably wouldn't be so great.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2014, 07:38:39 pm »

I mean if it's just posting vote counts and locking the thread then yeah, count me in.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2014, 07:40:39 pm »

I'm not playing, so I can do a balance check.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2014, 07:49:03 pm »

I think personally I'd prefer no balance check and the game to not count for stats, that's kinda the point of the game, right? If we're going for a balanced game, there's setups that are much better than this one at ensuring balance.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2014, 07:52:05 pm »

I mean if it's just posting vote counts and locking the thread then yeah, count me in.

You're in.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2014, 07:52:36 pm »

I'm not playing, so I can do a balance check.
Thanks. If i need it i'll PM you.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2014, 08:11:32 pm »

You're in.

Word.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2014, 09:09:47 pm »

/in I'm hoping for some Madness!

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2014, 09:19:44 pm »

So how exactly does cult work in this setup? Do they get a factional kill or do they have to rely on lynches to become the majority?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2014, 09:22:08 pm »

So how exactly does cult work in this setup? Do they get a factional kill or do they have to rely on lynches to become the majority?
Lynches.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2014, 09:29:08 pm »

Come on! Let's get more players than Modern Community!

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2014, 10:11:22 pm »

ummmm... /tag.

This filled up crazy fast. I don't think I was going to sign up for it, but now that I see that it filled up so fast it makes me kinda wish I could have...

/willingtosubin

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2014, 10:12:27 pm »

Note the ... yuma, you can still sign up if you want.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2014, 10:15:27 pm »

ummmm... /tag.

This filled up crazy fast. I don't think I was going to sign up for it, but now that I see that it filled up so fast it makes me kinda wish I could have...

/willingtosubin

what theorel said. there is no limit to the number of players. (well, we want to stay within the bonds of sanity)

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2014, 10:17:17 pm »

I think personally I'd prefer no balance check and the game to not count for stats, that's kinda the point of the game, right? If we're going for a balanced game, there's setups that are much better than this one at ensuring balance.

If that is the case then I believe it should be run as a Bastard game in that queue.

However, I am planning on using this for stats as long as there was a pre-determined "balance" analysis. Although I wonder if some sort of schematics should be developed to determine what is "balanced." Maybe not anything too specific, but a general idea of what the mod is looking for.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2014, 10:17:55 pm »

I think I will sit it out, but am willing to sub.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2014, 10:18:47 pm »

Well I'm comodding apparently so there IS one more spot.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2014, 01:17:18 am »

Actually, I should probably /out. This, Inno, and MU would be a lot of games to be in.

I can balance check/co-mod if there's an open position in the moderation department.

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2014, 02:29:12 am »

/In

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2014, 06:57:24 am »

/in

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2014, 09:51:42 am »

I mean this does seem crazy awesome... but maybe too crazy. Not a fan of it starting so close to Monsters University. If it starts like a week later I'll /in but obviously with this many signups I find that unlikely.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2014, 09:54:58 am »

Won't star until Wheel of Time is over ? I completely stopped following that, let's take a look.

I guess it probably won't end RIGHT NOW, so...

/in

I'm scared though. Probably won't be as active as usual too.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2014, 07:07:13 pm »

I have never ever played forum mafia, but I want to give it a shot.

/in

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2014, 11:00:55 pm »

/in

Welcome! Make sure you read and sign the Civility Pledge before the game starts.

mail-mi I guess you can take me off the player list if I'm comodding.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2014, 11:28:56 pm »

/in

Welcome! Make sure you read and sign the Civility Pledge before the game starts.

mail-mi I guess you can take me off the player list if I'm comodding.

i knew that...

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2014, 09:49:30 pm »

I've got 1 too many things going on with non-mafia games, and this game is bigger than I really prefer...
so, /out.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2014, 09:49:59 pm »

This really needs to start.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2014, 11:00:14 pm »

This really needs to start.
well WOT isn't over yet.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2014, 11:02:21 pm »

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2014, 03:18:38 am »

If this game starts any time soon, I will also have to /out. I don't want to, though!

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2014, 03:19:35 am »

If this game starts any time soon, I will also have to /out. I don't want to, though!

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2014, 03:20:28 am »

Similar thing here. (and yes, I am sheeping Robz)

PPE: Axxle  ;D

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2014, 03:48:16 pm »

What y'all waitin for?
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2014, 08:05:51 pm »

Send me my pm!

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2014, 08:15:46 pm »

Yes! Please do!!!!!

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2014, 08:17:39 pm »

3 vs. 3?

Seriously though, I am ok with this game starting I guess. I just won't be able to participate much until my finals are over.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2014, 08:34:14 pm »

Similar thing here. (and yes, I am sheeping Robz)

PPE: Axxle  ;D

So when do you guys want to start?

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2014, 08:35:21 pm »

Oh, I'm better now, I could start soon.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2014, 01:15:33 am »

asap

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2014, 07:28:33 am »

Also asap.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2014, 11:13:40 am »

Does Monday sound good for everyone?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2014, 11:55:27 am »

It does for me.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2014, 12:02:47 pm »

I'm going to be very low participation for the first week if we start Monday.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2014, 12:17:25 pm »

Monday sounds good to me

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2014, 12:33:02 pm »

Monday's fine.

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2014, 01:02:32 pm »

Okay...Monday.
But I would prefer Sunday.  ;D

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2014, 05:08:36 pm »

So actually I've decided to send out the first round of PMs today.

So that means Thread locked!

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2014, 05:51:32 pm »

All PMs are sent! Please have your card choices in by 8 PM FT on Monday, May 12th.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2014, 05:56:47 pm »

Oh, and please also remember: card power does not necessarily indicate role power. Scout may be more powerful than Rebuild for all you know.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2014, 06:14:58 pm »

Scout may be is more powerful than Rebuild for all you know.

Mod Fixed.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2014, 10:14:05 am »

We're going to have to reroll the setup, sadly. I'll do it when I get home from school.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2014, 08:09:14 pm »

We're going to have to reroll the setup, sadly. I'll do it when I get home from school.
Setup has been rerolled, and PMs sent. Please reply by 8 PM FT on Tuesday, May 13.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2014, 10:23:25 am »

Okay it's about as balanced as we're going to get it. I'll send out role pms and start night 0 when I get home

Delirious Deleuze

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2014, 11:36:57 am »

too late to /in?

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2014, 11:42:24 am »

too late to /in?

Yes. mail-mi has already sent out cards to players. You can put in to be a sub like me if needed! Or you can sign up for this game if you haven't already... http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=10757.0

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2014, 12:22:36 pm »

not in.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XLIV: Donald's Greater Idea Mafia (Night 0!)
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2014, 09:57:32 pm »

Okay all role PMs are out. Night 0 will end at 10 PM FT on Wednesday, May 14th.

Thread locked (except for /taggers)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2014, 10:30:43 pm »

Sorry I'm busy right now I will start this when I'm done

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2014, 11:19:35 pm »

It was your average game of dominion. Except for the fact that there were 18 players and nearly every kingdom card was being used. Mail-mi had managed to get the lead somehow, playing multiple Torturers every turn.

Some were tired of his ridiculous play. They formed into little groups, collaborating and planning to finally end this game of Dominion--once and for all.

Mail-mi played a second Torturer, and reluctantly, everyone discarded 2 cards--everyone only had one card in hand. Everyone waited for the inevitable third Torturer, but none came.
Maybe his engine faltered, some fools thought. Maybe he'll just buy the last province and end it.

Then they saw the blood on the table.

Someone screamed. "Clean it up! It will stain the cards!" After that had been taken care of, they saw the body. Mail-mi, lying slumped on the table, not breathing.

The players looked around at each other. "What do we do?" one said. "Maybe we could just end the game.... It's gone on long enough..." another one said, sounding hopeful.

"NO!" one said, standing up and knocking his chair over. "This game is NOT over until we found out who could have done this." AndrewisFTTW slammed his single card onto the table. A Cellar. "I'm innocent. Who's next?"

DAY 1 START!
THREAD UNLOCKED!

Vote Count 1.0

Not Voting (16): Twistedarcher, Voltaire, Robz888, Ichimaru Gin, Axxle, Teproc, Witherweaver, scott_pilgrim, Beyond Awesome, jotheonah, XerxesPraelor, A Drowned Kernel, EgorK, chairs, xeiron, Nik

With 16 alive it takes 9 to lynch.

Day 1 ends on Wed. May 21 at 11 PM FT.

Everyone looked around the table. "Well," one said, "what info do we already have?"

"Discard piles..." another replied.

Everyone looked at everyone else's discard piles. Twistedarcher had a Trader, Voltaire had a Hoard, Robz888 had a Scrying Pool, Ichimaru Gin had a Moat, Axxle had a Mountebank, Teproc had a Fortress, Witherweaver had a Rats, scott_pilgrim had a Forager, Beyond Awesome had an Altar, jotheonah had a Bank, XerxesPraelor had a Young Witch, A Drowned Kernel had a Rabble, EgorK had a Navigator, chairs had a Count, xeiron had a Band of Misfits, and Nik had a Vagrant.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:18:50 pm by mail-mi »

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XLIV: Donald's Greater Idea Mafia (Day 1!)
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2014, 11:20:33 pm »

first!

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2014, 11:25:40 pm »

Vote: WW for discarding the best card in the game.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2014, 11:27:08 pm »

I AM IN MAFIA AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2014, 11:27:33 pm »

Seriously though. I will only be able to post very, very little until after next Thursday.
4+ finals coming up...

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2014, 11:29:52 pm »

Oh, we know what all the cards are?

Um...card claim and win?

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2014, 11:30:56 pm »

Oh, we know what all the cards are?

Um...card claim and win?

Yes. quickly before scum has time to come up with good fakeclaims.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2014, 11:31:07 pm »

Yes, Volt, that totally works. There are 205 people in this game.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2014, 11:32:13 pm »

So nobody has Taxman, because Andrew wasn't vigged upon reveal. I'll look at what people discared later. Looks like my Hoard turned out to be a...mafia hider?  :o

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2014, 11:33:20 pm »

Seems risky, scum would just risk a fakeclaim out of the large number of cards. Yeah we might catch one but then scum knows who all the PRs are.

PPE: 130 something but yeah.

PPE 2: It's card of hard to analyze what people discarded because no one knew what they were.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2014, 11:34:14 pm »

I don't see Cellar on the list.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2014, 11:34:19 pm »

I'm actually kind of dissapointed I discarded the moat. Retired werewolf hunter sounds really cool.

On a side note, do we know what any of these other roles actually do? Or do we just guess?

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2014, 11:36:07 pm »

PPE 2: It's card of hard to analyze what people discarded because no one knew what they were.
Most? of the attack cards are scum roles and I would assume people could guess that. Those who discarded attack cards are probably? less likely to be scum and those who discarded nonattack cards are more likely? to be scum.

It's minor but maybe something to go on for now.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2014, 11:38:26 pm »

I'm actually kind of dissapointed I discarded the moat. Retired werewolf hunter sounds really cool.

On a side note, do we know what any of these other roles actually do? Or do we just guess?
I know what most of them do, just ask.

They're also ?all? here: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Greater_Idea_Mafia

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2014, 11:42:50 pm »

So I had no idea we'd be picking random cards instead of actually choosing a role. Meh. That was why I wanted to play this setup [/rant]

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2014, 11:47:38 pm »

So I had no idea we'd be picking random cards instead of actually choosing a role. Meh. That was why I wanted to play this setup [/rant]
QFT

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2014, 11:50:44 pm »

So nobody has Taxman, because Andrew wasn't vigged upon reveal. I'll look at what people discared later. Looks like my Hoard turned out to be a...mafia hider?  :o
I just realized: Andrew is a co-mod.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2014, 11:59:01 pm »

Most? of the attack cards are scum roles and I would assume people could guess that. Those who discarded attack cards are probably? less likely to be scum and those who discarded nonattack cards are more likely? to be scum.

Welp, that's half the playerlist:
Teproc
iGin
Sp
BA?
ADK
EK
chairs
x

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2014, 11:59:44 pm »

Actually I'm glad we're not since people would've immediately lynched me, or should have in any case.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2014, 12:01:52 am »

Wow guys.

Axxle: 7 (8)
iGin: 4
ADK: 2
Volt: 4
TA: 1
Everyone else: 0

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2014, 12:05:43 am »

Actually I'm glad we're not since people would've immediately lynched me, or should have in any case.

Why? For discarding mafia seer? How so?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2014, 12:08:27 am »

If we knew what our cards were I probably would have chosen scum, and most people know I'd do that.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2014, 12:10:07 am »

I dunno, I discarded Trader cause it sounded lame, but I definitely didn't think it was a mafia role but it ended up being one. I don't know what we can read into it honestly, I guess what stuck out most was Xerxes discarding Young Witch (which was definitely scum). Maybe Xerxes likes town more, maybe he had two scum roles, I don't know how we're supposed to deduce which is true besides guessing?

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2014, 12:12:11 am »

If we knew what our cards were I probably would have chosen scum, and most people know I'd do that.

I'd choose town > scum, I think a lot of people would too given the choice (I am pretty sure Shraeye would, I think Voltaire would?) I think people who haven't had a scum role before are more likely to pick scum, though, which is a point against newer players (as unfair as that is)

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 15, 2014, 12:15:14 am »

There was a BM game where all scum had the option to choose VT instead of scum. Robz, Voltaire, and Chairs all elected to be scum, so that could speak to an inclination to choose scum over town.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 15, 2014, 12:19:44 am »

There was a BM game where all scum had the option to choose VT instead of scum. Robz, Voltaire, and Chairs all elected to be scum, so that could speak to an inclination to choose scum over town.
Really? Why didn't anyone bust that out in Philosopher's Mafia?!

I chose not to try for conversion in said game, so that show's my inclination.

I wanted a change of pace this game though, and I thought my card might have been cool if I had remembered they're all just coming from the Greater Idea Deck.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2014, 12:30:46 am »

I was also under the impression that we were going to know which roles we were choosing between, and not just flavor names.  But I guess I can see how that might be problematic (vote X because X likes playing scum).  But I also thought the point of Greater Idea Mafia was to eliminate RVS, but with this I'm not sure what we can get out of people's discards...

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 15, 2014, 12:34:04 am »

I was also under the impression that we were going to know which roles we were choosing between, and not just flavor names.  But I guess I can see how that might be problematic (vote X because X likes playing scum).  But I also thought the point of Greater Idea Mafia was to eliminate RVS, but with this I'm not sure what we can get out of people's discards...

Yup

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 15, 2014, 12:37:57 am »

That's exactly how it plays FTF, it's hilarious.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 15, 2014, 12:41:31 am »

Vote:axxle. he likes playing scum

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 15, 2014, 12:45:24 am »

Vote: Voltaire

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 15, 2014, 01:12:29 am »

Slight scum read on the person who discarded Fortress: that looks like a sure take.

Also, why on earth is taxman a compulsive child killer?

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 15, 2014, 01:18:13 am »

Slight scum read on the person who discarded Fortress: that looks like a sure take.

Because there's no lawyer card.

BOOM!

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2014, 03:24:43 am »

Looking over the discard pile, Axxles choice strikes me as the most interesting. He is a guy who likes playing scum, and yet chooses to discard a Mountebank, a pretty safe scumrole. He must have had a really interesting card as his other choice.

I also noticed Robz. I think it would take a great card for him to keep over the investigative-themed card scrying pool is.

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2014, 03:52:13 am »

This could aslo go the other way. If you take a look among those who discarded attack cards, you will probably find some who had the choice between two attack cards. They must have kept one, and is probably scum as most attack-cards are scum.

On the other hand, we know that those who discarded non-attack had the choice to go for a non-attack, and therefore must have intentionally gone for the attack if they did.

Then again we probably have someone that are scum after picking a card that was not a obvious scum card (bridge, marked, doctor, etc.)

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 15, 2014, 04:01:43 am »

I threw away envoy the last time because I didn't want to be a mailman, but it turns out it was going to be an alien thing, so I agree that some people are scum who don't want to be.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 15, 2014, 04:03:31 am »

Well, we're stuck with what we've got. You can see that the cards were indicative of role, so it gives scum an out (I didn't know what I had) but still allows people to pick roles they think are cooler.

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 15, 2014, 04:23:03 am »

Here is a list of what people disarded, sorted after allignment. I have also bolded attack cards.
As we can see, just over half discarded a non-town card, and most of them probably did not know it.

Discarded a non-town card:

Twistedarcher had a Trader
Voltaire had a Hoard
Axxle had a Mountebank
XerxesPraelor had a Young Witch

jotheonah had a Bank
chairs had a Count

Witherweaver had a Rats

Robz888 had a Scrying Pool

Nik had a Vagrant

Discarded a town card:

Ichimaru Gin had a Moat
Teproc had a Fortress
scott_pilgrim had a Forager
Beyond Awesome had an Altar
A Drowned Kernel had a Rabble
EgorK had a Navigator
xeiron had a Band of Misfits

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 15, 2014, 04:34:40 am »

I really should have taken the young witch. Look under my name.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2014, 04:38:26 am »

I kept saboteur in my first run  :'(

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2014, 05:02:46 am »

And I would so have taken the Jester if I could.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 15, 2014, 05:34:03 am »

Yeah, discarding Fortress was not good. One-Shot Bulletproof is perfect forme, for some reason I thought it would be a protective role (ie Doctor variant) rather than something that actually protected me...

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 15, 2014, 05:35:14 am »

Why do certain spots (like 15,17 etc) not have cards assigned to them ?

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 15, 2014, 06:14:42 am »

Why do certain spots (like 15,17 etc) not have cards assigned to them ?

They have. The same cards as the number above.
There are 2 adventurers in the game (14 and 15) and 2 spys (16 and 17).

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2014, 06:39:39 am »

Vote: Volitare

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 15, 2014, 08:03:37 am »

Yeah, discarding Fortress was not good. One-Shot Bulletproof is perfect forme, for some reason I thought it would be a protective role (ie Doctor variant) rather than something that actually protected me...

And somehow doctor is bad?!
vote: teproc

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 15, 2014, 08:04:47 am »

And somehow doctor is bad?!
vote: teproc

It's not bad, it's just not a role I like. The other card seemed more likely to have a role I like.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 15, 2014, 08:11:22 am »

Okay. unvote I guess you probably wouldn't open yourself like that as scum.
Actually, that's the sort of thing that's easy to fake. Any evidence for that from your meta?

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2014, 08:12:27 am »

Also, Nik. Why vote Voltaire And then just leave?

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 15, 2014, 08:23:03 am »

Do you mean not give a reason? My reason is that earlier in the thread, I thought Volitare claimed he was Mafia, based on this:
I AM IN MAFIA AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN
Now I realize he was talking about the game Mafia, not the Mafia faction. So, Unvote.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 15, 2014, 09:16:17 am »

Vote: WW for discarding the best card in the game.

Yeah, Rats is so overpowered when it's the only card in your hand!

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2014, 10:01:48 am »

Am I the only one who wasn't assuming that there was a strong correlation between attack cards and scum roles? I haven't gone through and counted but it seems like there were a number of attack cards that were connected to town roles and vice-versa.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2014, 10:06:25 am »

Am I the only one who wasn't assuming that there was a strong correlation between attack cards and scum roles? I haven't gone through and counted but it seems like there were a number of attack cards that were connected to town roles and vice-versa.

I assumed there was no relation to card name and role, that it was just randomized. 

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2014, 10:10:24 am »

Well concerning actually reads and stuff, I'm getting a townish vibe from Axxle for his flurry of posts right at the start of the game, I think he tends to be more reserved as scum.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2014, 10:55:39 am »

Oh great, another game for me to not follow closely enough...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2014, 11:01:34 am »

Vote: Robz !

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 15, 2014, 11:16:03 am »

vote: robz for not paying enough attention.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 15, 2014, 11:18:23 am »

It's a wagon!  With 139 players, we only need 70 to lynch.  Vote guys!

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 15, 2014, 11:56:12 am »

vote: robz

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 15, 2014, 11:59:56 am »

Vote Count 1.1

Witherweaver (1): A Drowned Kernal

Axxle (1): Twistedarcher

Teproc (1): XerxesPraelor

Robz888 (3): Witherweaver, chairs, Axxle

Not Voting (10): Voltaire, Robz888, Ichimaru Gin, Teproc, scott_pilgrim, Beyond Awesome, jotheonah, EgorK, xeiron, Nik

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:05:53 pm by mail-mi »

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 15, 2014, 12:11:48 pm »

Vote: Robz

Wants to give off an air of not caring, it's intentional

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 15, 2014, 12:13:24 pm »

I assumed there was no relation to card name and role, that it was just randomized. 

Why would we be given a decision then? Scum. vote: robz

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2014, 12:14:39 pm »

God forbid town have a doctor! you really dodged the bullet on that one. vote: Teproc

He/him

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 15, 2014, 12:16:24 pm »

God forbid town have a doctor! you really dodged the bullet on that one. vote: Teproc

Doctor is really not that great, especially because I tend to die early as town and Doctor is mostly good in later days to protect claimed PRs.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 15, 2014, 12:17:23 pm »

Also, vote: witherweaver for the scummy justification, vote: EgorK for not posting yet and because I don't recognise them, and vote: robz again because everyone else is doing it.

He explained that he doesn't like having the role doctor, which makes kind of sense. I personally think he's doing it because it gets attention and so gives him townie points for doing something risky.

PPE: 1

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 15, 2014, 12:18:02 pm »

Wowza, 5 votes on Robz! that seems a little extreme.

He/him

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 15, 2014, 12:18:11 pm »

Doctor is really not that great, especially because I tend to die early as town and Doctor is mostly good in later days to protect claimed PRs.

Doctor is still great: every night without a NK is almost one more mislynch we can do before losing.

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 15, 2014, 12:19:06 pm »

Vote: robz because early wagons always stagnates, then dies and remain dead for a long time.
Robz is a great player to keep around until the endgame

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 15, 2014, 12:19:43 pm »

Wowza, 5 votes on Robz! that seems a little extreme.
He's only barely halfway to a lynch.
vote: joth I was scum and got scum points for caring too much about L's. It's not something obvious, so it's a better tell.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 15, 2014, 12:21:39 pm »

I also noticed Robz. I think it would take a great card for him to keep over the investigative-themed card scrying pool is.

I think Robz has stated before that he likes other people to have investigative roles and use them on him, rather than being the one with the investigative role himself.  (Though, it's not like he's taking it away from anyone in this case.)

This is what I had thought too.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 15, 2014, 12:22:29 pm »

Vote: robz because early wagons always stagnates, then dies and remain dead for a long time.

disagree. Robz is the last person I want facing at LyLo. He's too darned hard to read.

He/him

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 15, 2014, 12:23:05 pm »

This seems weird, but also genuine. Townie points.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 15, 2014, 12:23:35 pm »

Why would we be given a decision then? Scum. vote: robz

Well, good point.  But I looked to find an explanation of the cards and didn't find one, and the only post Mail-Mi had was to say that cards weren't an indication of power.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 15, 2014, 12:24:20 pm »

I think Robz has stated before that he likes other people to have investigative roles and use them on him, rather than being the one with the investigative role himself.  (Though, it's not like he's taking it away from anyone in this case.)

So, if ww is scum, I'm guessing s_p is too. You're both less likely to be scum, though, then if you were the only one.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 15, 2014, 12:25:22 pm »

Maybe he just enjoys being an IC? It's an attack card, though, so maybe that's why he discarded it?

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 15, 2014, 12:26:22 pm »

It's a wagon!  With 139 players, we only need 70 to lynch.  Vote guys!
This has a grain of truth in it. There are sooo many people here, it'll be hard to get a lynch to actually happen.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 15, 2014, 02:11:48 pm »

And then all of a sudden, after a flare of activity, the forums go completely silent. What happened? Also, I noticed that this is perhaps the first time I'm not lurking on Day1. Probably the lack of schoolwork

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 15, 2014, 03:44:08 pm »

And then all of a sudden, after a flare of activity, the forums go completely silent. What happened? Also, I noticed that this is perhaps the first time I'm not lurking on Day1. Probably the lack of schoolwork

Everyone who signed up for this game was expecting to skip the RVS stage, but since we didn't actually know what roles we discarded when we chose them, instead of RVS we had a "Complain about the set-up" stage.  So we still sort of skipped RVS (though I guess there is that Robz wagon), but now no one knows what to do because there haven't been many interactions.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 15, 2014, 03:50:28 pm »

I can't believe Robz is ignoring this fat wagon on him. He's even posting in his other game.

He/him

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 15, 2014, 03:51:16 pm »

I can't believe Robz is ignoring this fat wagon on him. He's even posting in his other game.
He clearly needs more votes on him.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 15, 2014, 03:57:18 pm »

Sell me on it, Axxle. what's the case?

He/him

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 15, 2014, 03:59:41 pm »

Code: [Select]
Oh great, another game for me to not follow closely enough...[size=1pt]Partners, please extend RVS as long as possible.[/size]

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2014, 04:09:34 pm »

Vote:Robz888
His only post looks a little scummy, but the fact he has not responded to the constant voting on him makes me thinks he is definitely Mafia.
Robz, explanation?

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 15, 2014, 05:04:19 pm »

Wait so are you voting him but you hope he doesn't get lynched?

I think he knew he'd get a lot of votes for saying that which is what he wanted.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2014, 05:05:51 pm »

His only post looks a little scummy, but the fact he has not responded to the constant voting on him makes me thinks he is definitely Mafia.
Robz, explanation?

wait what. I think Mafia would have responded right away. Hell, mafia would be more invested in the game to begin with. We should call this what it is if we're doing it: LAL

He/him

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 15, 2014, 05:07:12 pm »

L-2 btw. I kinda would love lynching someone this early honestly.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2014, 05:08:10 pm »

Robz, explanation?

wait what. I think Mafia would have responded right away. Hell, mafia would be more invested in the game to begin with. We should call this what it is if we're doing it: LAL

Oh please, do you think robz post was actually genuine? He WANTED us to know he was disinterested. If he was truly disinterested wouldn't he just not post?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 15, 2014, 05:09:41 pm »

Well concerning actually reads and stuff, I'm getting a townish vibe from Axxle for his flurry of posts right at the start of the game, I think he tends to be more reserved as scum.

Ditto for XP. RE Robz: So we're going with a pre-emtpive LAL lynch? That's a new one.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2014, 05:11:48 pm »

It's not that robz is disinterested its that he wanted us to know he was "disinterested".

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 15, 2014, 05:19:54 pm »

I feel like Robz starts a lot of games with "meh, D1, wake me up for D2".

I also feel like this is anti-town.

Ergo, lynch all Robzes.

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 15, 2014, 05:27:45 pm »

Wait so are you voting him but you hope he doesn't get lynched?

I think he knew he'd get a lot of votes for saying that which is what he wanted.
Thats what I said, yes, but secretly, I too would love lynching someone this early.

L-2 btw. I kinda would love lynching someone this early honestly.

Still only L-3.
Xerxes did remove his vote.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 15, 2014, 05:40:48 pm »

Ergo, lynch all Robzes.

I also feel like this is in no way indicative of Robz's alignment, or that if it is, it tends to indicate his towniness.

vote : TA

There's a reason we never lynch this early, it's because it's awful for town. This is trying to appeal for an early lynch in the "wouldn't it be cool ?" way, but it's an awful, awful idea, and TA should know this.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 15, 2014, 05:48:43 pm »

Ergo, lynch all Robzes.

I also feel like this is in no way indicative of Robz's alignment, or that if it is, it tends to indicate his towniness.

vote : TA

There's a reason we never lynch this early, it's because it's awful for town. This is trying to appeal for an early lynch in the "wouldn't it be cool ?" way, but it's an awful, awful idea, and TA should know this.

So you think we should always do things that maximize win percentage over things that are cool? Like obviously I get your point, but cool things are kinda neat too.

But seriously there's no way that Robz gets lynched today, which I disagree with. He made a HUGELY scummy post, obviously it's scummy because he got 7 different people to vote him because of 1 post, and now it's up to us to try to determine is Robz is scum or just generally disinterested? Cmon Robz can't you make it a little easier on us if you're town? Scummy posts are scummy, it shouldn't be our job to try to delve into it to see if it's actually scummy or bad town play, that should be on Robz to not make obviously scummy posts.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 15, 2014, 05:53:28 pm »

I didn't find his post scummy at all.

And this is a normal game, which is why efficiency > cool factor. If it were RMM or bastard, sure you'd be right... which is why I don't play RMM or bastard.

I think your comment has a very real chance to motivate townies to actually go through with this lynch, and I don't think you're the kind of player who does that stuff as town (as opposed to, say, Axxle).

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 15, 2014, 05:57:25 pm »

Ok. Back for a little bit. I'm a little lost already. If cards don't really speak to alignment at all--and people don't really know what they were discarding (I didn't), I don't really understand arguments based off of discarding.
Robz wagon is interesting. I have no idea what it is based on. It seems like there's still RVS going on.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 15, 2014, 05:59:03 pm »

Unvote

Mine was not a real vote, and I don't think all of the votes on him are either.  Robz has been basically away and barely posting in all his games for a couple of weeks.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 15, 2014, 05:59:23 pm »

I guess I have a different mindset in this game because it's Greater Idea...I am approaching it more RMM/Bastard like the normal. It got changed to be "normalized" with the rerolls and such but it's a huge game with a lot of PRs that may not be completely balanced, so no I am not treating this like a normal game.

I wouldn't be ok lynching Robz early if I didn't think he was scum. But that post was just ridiculous scummy.

Can you explain to me how it's NOT scummy? It wasn't phrased like "Hey, sorry guys, I won't have time for this", it was phrased as "Hey guys, I'm disinterested, and I want you to know that I'm disinterested!" First one isn't scummy to me, second one is very scummy to me. Why don't you think it was scummy?

I think letting him get away with a blatantly scummy post because it's Robz and he always plays like that is stupid, in my eyes it's a scummy post, and scummy posts make the poster more likely to be scum

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 15, 2014, 05:59:44 pm »

Ok. Back for a little bit. I'm a little lost already. If cards don't really speak to alignment at all--and people don't really know what they were discarding (I didn't), I don't really understand arguments based off of discarding.
Robz wagon is interesting. I have no idea what it is based on. It seems like there's still RVS going on.

We're way out of RVS. And again, "interesting" doesn't really mean anything.

PPE : 2

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 15, 2014, 06:02:51 pm »

Dahh! For the record, a lot of other people use the word interesting too. Maybe I'll cut it out of my vocabularly completely, so as to avoid this. But take a look, there are already 5 uses of this word on this thread. Seriously...

Admittedly, I haven't been following things super closely, but I don't see any "real" cases right now. Furthermore, how can you make assumptions about someone's alignment based upon a decision they made in relative ignorance?
How is that supposed to somehow bypass RVS?

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 15, 2014, 06:03:38 pm »

Can you explain to me how it's NOT scummy? It wasn't phrased like "Hey, sorry guys, I won't have time for this", it was phrased as "Hey guys, I'm disinterested, and I want you to know that I'm disinterested!" First one isn't scummy to me, second one is very scummy to me. Why don't you think it was scummy?

Well, it's not clear do me why you think it is. Even more, you say it's "blatantly" scummy : obviously it isn't since at least one person doesn't think it is.

I'm not sure why scum would be so enthusiastic to tell us they're disinterested. I almost posted something similar because I'm regretting signing up for this game a little (combination of this being a little too wacky for my taste and my finals being next week), but now I'm interested again, because your comment jumped out to me as super scummy.

PPE : 1

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 15, 2014, 06:04:58 pm »

I guess I have a different mindset in this game because it's Greater Idea...I am approaching it more RMM/Bastard like the normal. It got changed to be "normalized" with the rerolls and such but it's a huge game with a lot of PRs that may not be completely balanced, so no I am not treating this like a normal game.

I wouldn't be ok lynching Robz early if I didn't think he was scum. But that post was just ridiculous scummy.

I think letting him get away with a blatantly scummy post because it's Robz and he always plays like that is stupid, in my eyes it's a scummy post, and scummy posts make the poster more likely to be scum

Well, he's posted about how he's VLA many times, so perhaps he thought we had already seen his posts elsewhere.  I read his post as a bit of a joke, kind of like "yeah yeah you guys know the drill.. I'm behind at these games and I suck".

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 15, 2014, 06:05:43 pm »

Dahh! For the record, a lot of other people use the word interesting too. Maybe I'll cut it out of my vocabularly completely, so as to avoid this. But take a look, there are already 5 uses of this word on this thread. Seriously...

Admittedly, I haven't been following things super closely, but I don't see any "real" cases right now. Furthermore, how can you make assumptions about someone's alignment based upon a decision they made in relative ignorance?
How is that supposed to somehow bypass RVS?

It's not like I'm on a crusade against the word "interesting", but your comment about the Robz wagon is basically empty content. Maybe other people are doing this as well and feel free to point them out, but I haven't particularly noticed it.

I don't think analysing the discarded cards is that interesting (heh) but I do think this Robz wagon and my incredibly awesome case on TA are enough to mean we're out of RVS.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 15, 2014, 06:05:52 pm »

Because we as a community have a track record of letting people get away with scummy behavior because "they wouldn't do that as scum"

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 15, 2014, 06:07:05 pm »

Because we as a community have a track record of letting people get away with scummy behavior because "they wouldn't do that as scum"

What matters is not identifying scummy behavior, it's identifying who is scum. If town is doing something scummy, should we feel good about lynching them for it ? Of course not, the goal of this game is to lynch scum, not lynch scummy people.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 15, 2014, 06:07:49 pm »

What matters is not identifying scummy behavior, it's identifying who is scum. If town is doing something scummy, should we feel good about lynching them for it ? Of course not, the goal of this game is to lynch scum, not lynch scummy people.

... certainly the former is a step to the latter.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 15, 2014, 06:10:26 pm »

What I mean is there is no such thing as objectively "scummy behavior". Everything has to be put in context, and Robz saying "I don't really care about this game" might be scummy if someone else says it, but it's not scummy when Robz does it™.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2014, 06:14:02 pm »

What I mean is there is no such thing as objectively "scummy behavior". Everything has to be put in context, and Robz saying "I don't really care about this game" might be scummy if someone else says it, but it's not scummy when Robz does it™.

...So you're saying Robz is IC now?  ??? ::) :P 8)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 15, 2014, 06:14:57 pm »

No. Teproc just trademarked the word 'it'. You better watch out.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 15, 2014, 06:15:40 pm »

...So you're saying Robz is IC now?  ??? ::) :P 8)

I mean, he hasn't done a setup mistake yet, so I'll hold off on that.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 15, 2014, 06:16:08 pm »

And I think TA's point here is that scum are able to hind under the WIFOM protection of being blatantly scummy (with "they wouldn't do that as scum").  So he's saying scummy behavior is indicative of actual scumminess.

PPE: Sure, our reads and interpretations are subjective.  But that's still how we go about this game.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 15, 2014, 06:16:48 pm »

But seriously, I think it's probably a null tell for Robz.  Still, D1 is more fun when we're all talking, isn't itTM Teproc?

PPE: interesting!

Also I'm feeling giddy/goofy today, watch out.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 15, 2014, 06:18:20 pm »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 15, 2014, 06:19:06 pm »

But seriously, I think it's probably a null tell for Robz.  Still, D1 is more fun when we're all talking, isn't itTM Teproc?

Also I'm feeling giddy/goofy today, watch out.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Are you sure the contraction does not need to be trademarked as well?

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 15, 2014, 06:21:19 pm »

...I knew it.

By the way I Ctrl+Fed "interesting" in the last few pages and the only other instance was XP (or xeiron, one of those) using it about Axxle's choice of cards, except he elaborated, so I was not being unfair here.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 15, 2014, 06:28:02 pm »

...I knew it.

By the way I Ctrl+Fed "interesting" in the last few pages and the only other instance was XP (or xeiron, one of those) using it about Axxle's choice of cards, except he elaborated, so I was not being unfair here.

No you're right. I do probably overuse that word--often without specific meaning attached.
From now on (seriously), I will make more of a conscious effort to use it only with additional explanation.  I guess I often use it when I am somewhat unsure to make of something.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 15, 2014, 06:33:58 pm »

I don't think you're the kind of player who does that stuff as town (as opposed to, say, Axxle).

My vote *is* a real vote. Robz posted what he did for a reason. There are multiple things he could be trying to accomplish.

1) "I'm not going to be looking too closely to this game." Implying that he's setting himself up for being wrong later down the road.
2) "I'm going to lurk today." Making sure he'll at least survive the day. It's likely many of us here won't look at him critically for it either.
3) "I'm lurking EVERYWHERE, lol look at this joke I make" Meh.

I can't think of a good town motivated reason for posting it. The first is scum, the second is nulltoscum, the third is antitown (not necessarily scum).

@iGin: "Interesting" means nothing regarding alignments. Instead say something like "Seems scumdriven" or "Seems like town might have a decent case"

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 15, 2014, 06:54:10 pm »

Vote Count 1.2

Teproc (1): jotheonah

Robz888 (5): chairs, Axxle, Twistedarcher, Xeiron, Nik

Jotheonah (1): XerxesPraelor

Twistedarcher (1): Teproc

Not Voting (7): Voltaire, Robz888, Ichimaru Gin, scott_pilgrim, Beyond Awesome, EgorK, Witherweaver

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2014, 06:55:09 pm »

I feel like "interesting" is IG's desu.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2014, 07:06:09 pm »

I think I use "interesting" to mean, I'm not sure what we can get out of this but it looks like it could tell us something, so I and other people should think about it and figure out whether it's indicative of the person's alignment.  That being said, it is pretty non-committal and leaves your options open, so I think it's bad for town players to label things as interesting and leave it at that.  On the other hand, if you're really not sure what to make of something, it's not scummy to point it out and admit that you don't know what it means (it would be scummy if someone did it a lot).

On Robz: It seems odd to me how much time has been spent analyzing his one post, though I can see why people think it's scummy.  I feel like there are still players who haven't contributed at all yet (I don't think we've heard anything from Beyond Awesome or EgorK?).

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 15, 2014, 07:12:56 pm »

Welp, that's half the playerlist:
Teproc
iGin
Sp
BA?
ADK
EK
chairs
x

This is a fine and useful tool to start D1. I endorse it.

Note: still on page 5 of 10, catching up

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 15, 2014, 07:14:54 pm »

I dunno, I discarded Trader cause it sounded lame, but I definitely didn't think it was a mafia role but it ended up being one. I don't know what we can read into it honestly, I guess what stuck out most was Xerxes discarding Young Witch (which was definitely scum). Maybe Xerxes likes town more, maybe he had two scum roles, I don't know how we're supposed to deduce which is true besides guessing?

Definitely depends on each player meta. Guessing seems fine. I would lean towards x being more likely town, maybe 5% more likely, based on something like that?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 15, 2014, 07:16:11 pm »

I'd choose town > scum, I think a lot of people would too given the choice (I am pretty sure Shraeye would, I think Voltaire would?) I think people who haven't had a scum role before are more likely to pick scum, though, which is a point against newer players (as unfair as that is)

Correct. I've gotten better at enjoying it, but I'm bad at scum and the first time I was scum I was realllllllllllly close to quitting mafia forever, it made me so miserable.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 15, 2014, 07:17:27 pm »

Oh, right! That was a BM game. I'd forgotten.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 15, 2014, 07:19:05 pm »

Correct. I've gotten better at enjoying it, but I'm bad at scum and the first time I was scum I was realllllllllllly close to quitting mafia forever, it made me so miserable.

I've only ever been scum once. I don't think I'm that great at either, but I at least enjoy playing town more I think. I think it took me a little while to get that first time game as scum out of my system--as people still found me scummy in HoC and I think only my doc claim kept me from getting lynched.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 15, 2014, 07:20:09 pm »

Fortress: probably lynchproof/bulletproof, risky if you're town.

Though of course you don't know what alignment you'd be.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 15, 2014, 07:23:15 pm »

Do you mean not give a reason? My reason is that earlier in the thread, I thought Volitare claimed he was Mafia, based on this:
Now I realize he was talking about the game Mafia, not the Mafia faction. So, Unvote.

Townread on Nik. This is exactly what happened between us in Newbie Mafia.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 15, 2014, 07:24:45 pm »

I've only ever been scum once. I don't think I'm that great at either, but I at least enjoy playing town more I think. I think it took me a little while to get that first time game as scum out of my system--as people still found me scummy in HoC and I think only my doc claim kept me from getting lynched.

My all-time favorite role and alignment is VT. I'm weird like that.

To be fair, I did win a scum MVP. That's actually really annoying.

vote: EgorK

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 15, 2014, 07:26:12 pm »

The thing that is making Robz seem more and more scummier to me is that he hasn't posted anything. If he's lurking, he would at least see all the votes on him and would probably offer an explanation...but he hasn't. Is he just not paying attention?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 15, 2014, 07:26:33 pm »

I actually think doctor is usually a very weak role and more useful as a named townie.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 15, 2014, 07:37:45 pm »

Ergo, lynch all Robzes.

This. But also what axxle said.

vote: Robz

I do not have my normal town read on Teproc. I have a neutral read. But it's early enough I don't care.

I feel better about axxle based on read, nervous based on his discard. This is due to the recent game where he was being obviously scummy so I assumed he was town.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 15, 2014, 07:49:50 pm »

The thing that is making Robz seem more and more scummier to me is that he hasn't posted anything. If he's lurking, he would at least see all the votes on him and would probably offer an explanation...but he hasn't. Is he just not paying attention?

I think Robz is busy with RL stuff (I think he posted in the VLA thread), so not responding to the wagon right away is expected regardless of his alignment.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 15, 2014, 07:50:33 pm »

Oh right, Voltaire is in this game ! Hi Voltaire. Don't worry, it'll come back to you.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 15, 2014, 07:51:26 pm »

WW is likelier scum if Robz is town.

Nik

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 15, 2014, 08:03:20 pm »

I think Robz is busy with RL stuff (I think he posted in the VLA thread), so not responding to the wagon right away is expected regardless of his alignment.
Oh. In that case, Unvote.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 15, 2014, 09:22:46 pm »

Unvote

Mine was not a real vote, and I don't think all of the votes on him are either.  Robz has been basically away and barely posting in all his games for a couple of weeks.

That's a cop-out, consider my vote on you serious.

Town read on Voltaire so far.

Looking back, TA's complaints about the setup looks a little like he got a scum role when he didn't want on. Or maybe he's just something lame like VT or Universal Miller.

I'd be fine with a Robz lynch later, he hasn't done himself any favors here. But this isn't blitz, a 24-hour day one is probably a bad idea.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 15, 2014, 09:24:45 pm »

But this isn't blitz, a 24-hour day one is probably a bad idea.

For sure. Even if Robz flips scum, we'll still have a dearth of interactions to analyze.
So I'd say its definitely a bad idea.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 15, 2014, 09:51:56 pm »

Unvote

That's a cop-out, consider my vote on you serious.

Town read on Voltaire so far.

Looking back, TA's complaints about the setup looks a little like he got a scum role when he didn't want on. Or maybe he's just something lame like VT or Universal Miller.

I'd be fine with a Robz lynch later, he hasn't done himself any favors here. But this isn't blitz, a 24-hour day one is probably a bad idea.

What do you mean a cop out?  That doesn't make sense.  I put an RVS vote on Robz and then everyone voted him for real, and he was getting to about L-2, so I unvotes because mine wasn't because of a scum read.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 15, 2014, 09:54:55 pm »

WW is likelier scum if Robz is town.

Why?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 15, 2014, 10:03:31 pm »

Your vote didn't seem particularly joke-y to me, and you retracting it and claiming that it was when Robz was within lynch range is suspicious.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 15, 2014, 10:05:35 pm »

Your vote didn't seem particularly joke-y to me, and you retracting it and claiming that it was when Robz was within lynch range is suspicious.

I put an exclamation point after it, and then told people to start a 70-person wagon after.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 15, 2014, 10:12:25 pm »

Just because someone has humorous tone to their vote doesn't mean they don't intend to follow through. Do you think Robz is town? Why?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 15, 2014, 10:22:26 pm »

Just because someone has humorous tone to their vote doesn't mean they don't intend to follow through. Do you think Robz is town? Why?

I don't think his post indicates alignment one way or the other.  And I do not think "hey let's  quicklynch Robz for funsies" is a sensible strategy.

If people really do think he's scum from his post, fine, but I don't.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 16, 2014, 01:48:06 am »

Vote: TA

I'm admittiedly a little drunk, but I feel like Teproc is talking sense.

He/him

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 16, 2014, 02:06:37 am »

Vote: TA

Now we're getting somewhere!

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 16, 2014, 04:31:22 am »

I believe Axxle is our best bet for hitting scum today.

-He likes to play scum.
-He claimed to to pick the scummy card in the first draft.
-He had at least one scummy card to choose from in the second draft.

Vote: Axxle

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 16, 2014, 04:54:30 am »

-He likes to play scum.

Yeah but no.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 16, 2014, 08:50:19 am »

Mmmmmmm I want to vote for all the "big" wagons!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 16, 2014, 11:00:37 am »

-He likes to play scum.

I think this is the most compelling thing so far.  Axxle was also the first to bring up "discarding Attack cards make you less likely to be scum":

And he pointed out without prompting that he discarded an attack card the first time.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 16, 2014, 11:13:30 am »

Well I kinda want to wagon Axxle, but I have a town read on him thus far.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 16, 2014, 11:15:26 am »

Why would you even consider wagoning him if you have a town read on him?
Just for fun?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 16, 2014, 11:21:28 am »

Just for fun?

Yes, this.  Or perhaps to detract suspicion of being so gung-ho about the Robz wagon.  If wagoning is just something he likes, then the eagerness to lynch Robz on the first actual day is not an alignment tell.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 16, 2014, 12:04:54 pm »

Just for fun?

I'd consider voting him to join the wagon, except I have a town read on him, so I'm not going to. Isn't that what I just said?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 16, 2014, 12:28:30 pm »

Just for fun?

I'd consider voting him to join the wagon, except I have a town read on him, so I'm not going to. Isn't that what I just said?

Isn't that not what he asked? 

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 16, 2014, 12:40:03 pm »

Just for fun?

I see we're deliberately trying to sow confusion by using double negation...

TA's position makes sense here : wagons are good, they create interactions, make votes meaningful etc.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 16, 2014, 12:44:03 pm »

Just for fun?

TA's position makes sense here : wagons are good, they create interactions, make votes meaningful etc.

Sure wagons are good. But joining one just to join when you don't really think the person is scummy is in itself a scummy behavior.
If you're town, wagons give you good material to analyze. But it seems counterproductive to join one just for the sake of joining it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 16, 2014, 12:45:15 pm »

Just for fun?

But it seems like it should be: hey, I think this person might be scum, so I should therefore vote for them.  Not: hey, there is a wagon on this person, so I should vote unless I can convince myself of a town read.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 16, 2014, 12:47:56 pm »

But more to the point, why is TA pointing out to us that he would want to vote for the sake of being on a wagon in the first place?  He could have simply stated that he doesn't agree with the votes and has a town read on Axxle.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 16, 2014, 12:50:04 pm »

But more to the point, why is TA pointing out to us that he would want to vote for the sake of being on a wagon in the first place?  He could have simply stated that he doesn't agree with the votes and has a town read on Axxle.

This I agree with. Feels like TA feels like he has to justify the way he's playing, which is scummy.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 16, 2014, 12:50:20 pm »

I don't get the confusion, I have a town read on him so I'm not voting him, if I didn't have a town read on him I'd consider joining the wagon, what's unclear/confusing about that? You can ask me for clarification but when the original statement is clear you aren't gonna get anything by asking for repeated clarifications.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 16, 2014, 12:51:28 pm »

Exactly. It's this. "I feel one way, but I'm not going to actually follow through on it". Hedging/covering yourself that reads scummy to me.

PPE: 2

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 16, 2014, 12:53:06 pm »

Because I like wagons? I understand your point on wagons but I disagree with it.

Re: Teproc, people ask questions I answer. It's ridiculous to ask someone a question asking for further justification, and then call that person scummy because "they needed to justify what they were doing"

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 16, 2014, 12:53:56 pm »

Exactly. It's this. "I feel one way, but I'm not going to actually follow through on it". Hedging/covering yourself that reads scummy to me.

PPE: 2

K cool.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 16, 2014, 12:57:40 pm »

Because I like wagons? I understand your point on wagons but I disagree with it.

Re: Teproc, people ask questions I answer. It's ridiculous to ask someone a question asking for further justification, and then call that person scummy because "they needed to justify what they were doing"

I wasn't referring to the answers you gave, but to the original statement. You felt the need to say that you were tempted to get on a wagon, but didn't want to because you had a town read. That was not in answer to any unnecessary request for clarification.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 16, 2014, 12:58:45 pm »

No one asked you about Axxle, you brought up your enjoyment of wagons and your read of Axxle unprompted.  (in case it's unclear, I'm referring to this post:

That serves as a justification of your eagerness to have a big Robz wagon, which is what Teproc was referring to as your "scummy" play.

PPE: Teproc said it too

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 16, 2014, 01:02:34 pm »

Right, I like wagons, and I'd like to have one on Axxle, BUT, I think he's town, so I don't want to vote him. Oh look, this is the exact same thing I said

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 16, 2014, 01:05:09 pm »

Right, I like wagons, and I'd like to have one on Axxle, BUT, I think he's town, so I don't want to vote him. Oh look, this is the exact same thing I said

What ? I get the feeling that you're not reading the same thread. I'm saying that you're scummy (among other things) for feeling the need to express this, not disagreeing with the sentiment itself.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 16, 2014, 01:08:35 pm »

I'm talking more to Ichi and WW, who both immediately quoted the post and said it was scummy that I wanted a wagon on Axxle even though I think he's town (which isn't what I was saying). I'm fine with your vote although you are obviously wrong :)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 16, 2014, 01:10:22 pm »

What ? I get the feeling that you're not reading the same thread. I'm saying that you're scummy (among other things) for feeling the need to express this, not disagreeing with the sentiment itself.

I agree with this. I don't really see why town would post something like that.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 16, 2014, 01:13:52 pm »

Sorry for being conversational in my posts? Like, if this game turns into only stating facts and opinions and reads, it becomes not fun pretty quickly.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 16, 2014, 01:16:29 pm »

I think everyone who's jumping all over TA for that post is being silly...he's scum because he stated his thought process without being asked?  That's something town should do.  If everyone just stayed silent all game unless prompted by another player, things would be super slow and we would never get anywhere.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 16, 2014, 01:21:04 pm »

I think everyone who's jumping all over TA for that post is being silly...he's scum because he stated his thought process without being asked?  That's something town should do.  If everyone just stayed silent all game unless prompted by another player, things would be super slow and we would never get anywhere.
I'm not saying he's scum. Just that I don't see much of a town rational behind what he posted.
I don't think anyone is advocating being silent, or playing a game with only impassive logical statements.
But why did TA post what he did? By the way, I know absolutely nothing about his meta. How long has he been playing?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 16, 2014, 01:22:14 pm »

I'm talking more to Ichi and WW, who both immediately quoted the post and said it was scummy that I wanted a wagon on Axxle even though I think he's town (which isn't what I was saying). I'm fine with your vote although you are obviously wrong :)

That's not what I said.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 16, 2014, 01:25:35 pm »

I'm not saying he's scum. Just that I don't see much of a town rational behind what he posted.

Hey, I like wagons, so if I didn't have a town read on Axxle I'd probably vote him here. But, I DO have a town read on Axxle, so I'm not voting here.

Why could that not come from town? Why does this need to be a scum thought pattern?

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 16, 2014, 01:29:09 pm »

I don't think anyone is advocating being silent, or playing a game with only impassive logical statements.
But why did TA post what he did? By the way, I know absolutely nothing about his meta. How long has he been playing?

I mean, I guess I'm saying in general, town should be as transparent as possible, just post whatever you're thinking all the time (relevant to the game of course, you don't need to tell us what you're eating for dinner tonight (but you can if you want)).  If town does this, then we can either pick out scum by the fact that they're not as open as town, or by identifying slips or things that look scummy.  So I'm saying, if the case on TA is that he gave us more information than he needed to, I think that would be towny, not scummy, because it means he's just saying whatever he's thinking at the time.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 16, 2014, 01:29:32 pm »

The issue here is that it was relevant to how he has been playing, but on a different topic.  He was under suspicion by Teproc (and possibly more) of his play regarding Robz.  When I read his post my thought was "what?  Why would he say that?" And then it occurred to me that he's subtlely putting the idea out there that: "TA likes wagons. So we shouldn't ready anything into his Robz wagon, because that's an alignment-neutral TA characteristic".

So that's what makes it suspcious here.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 16, 2014, 01:31:07 pm »

I mean, I guess I'm saying in general, town should be as transparent as possible, just post whatever you're thinking all the time (relevant to the game of course, you don't need to tell us what you're eating for dinner tonight (but you can if you want)).  If town does this, then we can either pick out scum by the fact that they're not as open as town, or by identifying slips or things that look scummy.

I strongly disagree.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 16, 2014, 01:35:48 pm »

Vote Count 1.3:

Robz888 (3): chairs, Twistedarcher, Voltaire

Jotheonah (1): XerxesPraelor

Twistedarcher (3): Teproc, jotheonah, Axxle

Axxle (2): Xeiron, Witherweaver

Not Voting (6): Robz888, Ichimaru Gin, scott_pilgrim, Beyond Awesome, EgorK, Nik

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 16, 2014, 01:36:13 pm »

I mean, I guess I'm saying in general, town should be as transparent as possible, just post whatever you're thinking all the time (relevant to the game of course, you don't need to tell us what you're eating for dinner tonight (but you can if you want)).  If town does this, then we can either pick out scum by the fact that they're not as open as town, or by identifying slips or things that look scummy.

I strongly disagree.

Do you want to explain?  I mean, that is the impression I've gotten from better players over the several games that I've played.  I admit that I don't actually play like that as town, I actually do think a lot about what I'm saying, double check to make sure I haven't said anything that could misconstrued as scummy, and avoid giving reads on players without being prompted, but I've been trying to break myself of those things because it seems like people think that kind of play is bad for town (and I understand the reasoning for thinking that).

You might have other reasons for voting TA, that's fine (I think WW's explanation makes more sense), I'm just saying that I don't think an argument like "TA is scummy because he gave us some information about his thought process that he could have withheld" is reasonable.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 16, 2014, 01:40:47 pm »

I strongly disagree.

Do you want to explain?  I mean, that is the impression I've gotten from better players over the several games that I've played.  I admit that I don't actually play like that as town, I actually do think a lot about what I'm saying, double check to make sure I haven't said anything that could misconstrued as scummy, and avoid giving reads on players without being prompted, but I've been trying to break myself of those things because it seems like people think that kind of play is bad for town (and I understand the reasoning for thinking that).

You might have other reasons for voting TA, that's fine (I think WW's explanation makes more sense), I'm just saying that I don't think an argument like "TA is scummy because he gave us some information about his thought process that he could have withheld" is reasonable.

I was making a point by not explaining why I disagreed precisely because it made you explain your position further. Not particularly useful here because this is pretty much theory talk, but you get the point.

Also it's a lot easier for scum to manipulate you if they know exactly what you're thinking.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 16, 2014, 05:56:30 pm »

I don't get the confusion, I have a town read on him so I'm not voting him, if I didn't have a town read on him I'd consider joining the wagon, what's unclear/confusing about that? You can ask me for clarification but when the original statement is clear you aren't gonna get anything by asking for repeated clarifications.

The confusing thing is that it seems unnecessary to point out the second part.

I also think I need to back off several of my reads, as they are on active players. I got rusty.

Mild scum read on s_p who I think has only popped in to state obvious things.

I strongly disagree.

Really? This is just another side of the "everyone should post a lot, scum will hang themselves if we give them enough rope" idea. I get that this can easily turn into thread spam, but that's a small, non-crippling flaw to work around.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 16, 2014, 05:59:26 pm »

Unvote

TA seems town here, I'll probably have to reread to see who's coming out scummiest in this interaction.