Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: I just bought an N64  (Read 27242 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: I just bought an N64
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2014, 03:38:57 am »
+3

I almost forgot Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Zombies ate your neighbors? How could you forget that?!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2014, 06:43:39 am »

As said before, nostalgia can be pretty important here. Like, Pokemon Snap is a lot easier when you're over 18 years old than when you're 8, but you'll want to go through it of you played it when you were younger. Nostalgia is what got me playing Paper Mario on it, while fortunately still has so much content and secrets to be awesome.

However, What's even more important is the multiplayer experience, especially if you play with N64 nostalgic people. I wouldn't even think of playing Mario Kart 64 solo. Here, emulators are lacking.

That said, the N64 has the first Super Smash Bros., an excellent game (but you most probably have Melee or Brawl). And GoldenEye has a timeless single player campaign if 100% completion is your goal in it. Beating Majora's mask is pretty rewarding too. Oh yeah, ans questing to save the 120 stars in Super Mario 64 is a source of entertainment that surely stands the test of time. Even the water level is only semi-annoying.

Maybe it's just that I never got a Nintendo console past the N64.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2014, 06:45:49 am »

Oh, if only you had a TV that showed a slight static burst even when the game didn't start once you were on the right output setting.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2014, 07:25:56 pm »

I almost forgot Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Zombies ate your neighbors? How could you forget that?!

Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2014, 05:21:07 pm »

Bought new RCA cables. Didn't work. Returning N64. Hating everything.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2014, 05:36:18 pm »

Secret of Mana, people.  If a game ever needed a sequel, that is it.

It has a lot of sequels.  The series has gone entirely to crap (though even SoM suffers from nostalgia goggles more than  you'd probably care to admit on replays).  In particular, I recommend Seiken Densetsu III.  It's a wonderful game, much better than SoM, and has a very good fan translation.  We didn't get it outside of Japan because it has a bunch of bugs and it came out late in the Super Famicom's lifespan.

Oh yeah!  I was playing the SoM sequal (Seiken Densetsu III) on an emulator, but I don't think I finished for some reason.  My hard drive might have crashed.  The class selection/promotion thing was neat.

On the subject of SNES games, the SquareSoft ones are obviously awesome: Final Fantasy 2 (IV), Final Fantasy 3 (VI), and Chrono Trigger.  But, those are all available for tablets now. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2014, 05:39:14 pm »

On the subject of nostalgia, I think my all-time nostalgic games (outside of FF2 (IV) maybe) are Shining Force and Shining Force II for Genesis.  I think they were the first Tactical RPG's I ever played, and among my my all-time favorites.

What sucks is the series went the SEGA line, so everything was on SEGA CD or SEGA portable systems, which I never had.  They finally brought games in the series back with PS2, but they're action-adventure games instead of tactical RPGs.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2014, 07:14:50 pm »

On the subject of nostalgia, I think my all-time nostalgic games (outside of FF2 (IV) maybe) are Shining Force and Shining Force II for Genesis.  I think they were the first Tactical RPG's I ever played, and among my my all-time favorites.

What sucks is the series went the SEGA line, so everything was on SEGA CD or SEGA portable systems, which I never had.  They finally brought games in the series back with PS2, but they're action-adventure games instead of tactical RPGs.

Did you ever get that FFIV/Chrono Trigger set on PS1 with those added cutscenes? It was pretty cool but I never got through it all. Same with Chrono Cross.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:16:01 pm by AndrewisFTTW »

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2014, 07:16:38 pm »

Bought new RCA cables. Didn't work. Returning N64. Hating everything.
Boo!
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2014, 02:37:28 pm »

Homebody on ebay suggested that I'm trying to scam him by asking for a full refund for my broken N64. Since when is returning an item that doesn't work a scam?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2014, 02:44:59 pm »

Did you ever get that FFIV/Chrono Trigger set on PS1 with those added cutscenes? It was pretty cool but I never got through it all. Same with Chrono Cross.

Yep!  And they released the unreleased Japan versions, FFII and FFV.  Those were cool.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2014, 03:06:55 pm »

I got the FFIV/Chrono combo pack. I even got through them both, despite the annoying battle load times on Chrono trigger. FF4 has a decent story, but it's missing a lot the content and flair that makes FF6 and subsequent games so entertaining. I never tried FF5, but I can always get it on the PlayStation Network if I so desire.

Edit: The long load times of Chrono Trigger are only present on the PS version. The SNES version must be so much better without them.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:08:09 pm by markusin »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2014, 03:24:47 pm »

Man, it always amazes me how behind people are on this stuff outside the core community.

The playstation ports of the Square-Enix RPGs are trash, and far better versions of the games were released on GBA, DS and PSP over the years.  For instance, most fans consider FF5 Advance the definitive English release for various reasons, while the PS1 version has a laughable translation and really bad load times.  FF4 is more complicated since the remakes and ports are so numerous, but it's a sure thing that between the GBA release, PSP update, and DS remake you will find a better port of the game than the FF Chronicles one.  Sadly, since Japan hates FF6, the only decent update to it has been the GBA port, which has a butchered soundtrack (fixable with mods, to be fair). As for Chrono Trigger, the DS version of it has all the new cutscenes, no load times, an improved translation, and bonus dungeons. It's also easy to find, and the 3DS is a current system so it's easy to play too.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2014, 03:30:22 pm »

Homebody on ebay suggested that I'm trying to scam him by asking for a full refund for my broken N64. Since when is returning an item that doesn't work a scam?

I believe ebays policy is that the buyer is always right. So complain and he may be forced to refund or something.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2014, 03:32:39 pm »

Man, it always amazes me how behind people are on this stuff outside the core community.

The playstation ports of the Square-Enix RPGs are trash, and far better versions of the games were released on GBA, DS and PSP over the years.  For instance, most fans consider FF5 Advance the definitive English release for various reasons, while the PS1 version has a laughable translation and really bad load times.  FF4 is more complicated since the remakes and ports are so numerous, but it's a sure thing that between the GBA release, PSP update, and DS remake you will find a better port of the game than the FF Chronicles one.  Sadly, since Japan hates FF6, the only decent update to it has been the GBA port, which has a butchered soundtrack (fixable with mods, to be fair). As for Chrono Trigger, the DS version of it has all the new cutscenes, no load times, an improved translation, and bonus dungeons. It's also easy to find, and the 3DS is a current system so it's easy to play too.

I'm not so concerned about poor translations and other problems.. PS release of FFII and FFV were my only ways to play the game (back when they were originally released), so I was really happy to have them.  I think I'll pick the mobile (Android) ports up eventually, but they're kind of expensive.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2014, 03:38:06 pm »

I got the FFIV/Chrono combo pack. I even got through them both, despite the annoying battle load times on Chrono trigger. FF4 has a decent story, but it's missing a lot the content and flair that makes FF6 and subsequent games so entertaining. I never tried FF5, but I can always get it on the PlayStation Network if I so desire.

Edit: The long load times of Chrono Trigger are only present on the PS version. The SNES version must be so much better without them.

FF4 missing content and flair?  Blasphemy!  Palom and Porom!  Cid!  Rydia!  Plus you got that one dude Edward so you could be so happy that he finally dies!

Well, FF6 has a lot of content.  My main problem (perhaps the only real flaw) with FF6 is that it introduce the "play a shit ton of mini games instead of playing the actual game in order to get items that are otherwise unattainable".  To me that sent a bad thread through the Final Fantasy games which really brought itself to head in FFX, almost entirely dismantling my enjoyment of the game at times.   

But anyway, FF4 is my nostalgic game of the FF series.  And, like most of the American players, it was my first Final Fantasy game after the original, so it was a huge jump up in terms of character development and personality for me.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2014, 03:54:51 pm »
+1

The dialogue in the first game is awesome!

"I, Garland, will knock you all down!!"

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2014, 03:57:43 pm »

I'm not so concerned about poor translations and other problems.. PS release of FFII and FFV were my only ways to play the game (back when they were originally released), so I was really happy to have them.  I think I'll pick the mobile (Android) ports up eventually, but they're kind of expensive.

Don't get me wrong, I had those when they came out too. (and the PS1 ports of FF1/2 are still arguably the best anyway)  I'm more saying, there's not much point in playing bad ports nowadays when good ones are available, especially in cases like FF5, whose perception in the west was hurt badly by the Playstation version when it came out.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2014, 04:02:31 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I had those when they came out too. (and the PS1 ports of FF1/2 are still arguably the best anyway)  I'm more saying, there's not much point in playing bad ports nowadays when good ones are available, especially in cases like FF5, whose perception in the west was hurt badly by the Playstation version when it came out.

Ah, well, good point.  But by the time those other ports had come out, I had already played the games.  I played FFIII on an emulator before the DS port ever came out, so I never played through the port of that.

Do you know how the Android versions are?  I think they were based off the PSP/DS versions mostly.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2014, 04:03:42 pm »

The dialogue in the first game is awesome!

"I, Garland, will knock you all down!!"

I thought for years that we went to the Castle of Friends to fight Garland.  And I didn't know why we were fighting Christmas ornaments.  I was pretty young when I played the first Final Fantasy.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2014, 04:07:51 pm »

Ah, well, good point.  But by the time those other ports had come out, I had already played the games.  I played FFIII on an emulator before the DS port ever came out, so I never played through the port of that.

Do you know how the Android versions are?  I think they were based off the PSP/DS versions mostly.

the Android ports are pretty bad in my opinion.  I know FF6's is really buggy (unfinishable on release) and the graphics look mind-blowingly horrible at times.  On the bright side, they did keep the original soundtracks in, which is cool.  The controls are really poor.  The only really successful Android port was Final Fantasy Dimensions, which is all right, but pretty much inferior to FF5 and Bravely Default.

Quick graphics comparison in FF5:
Original: http://www.lordyuanshu.com/images/FF5/World1/charactersmeet.jpg?672cfe
Android: http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/947/locker/FF5shitedition.PNG

The graphics in the original were nothing special, but at least they didn't look blown up and washed out.  FF6 fared far worse since it was a beautiful game originally (Note: it gets worse than this, these screens were just easy to find):
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/03/final-fantasy-vi-coming-ios-android-winter-heres-looks-vs-snes-game/

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2014, 04:20:48 pm »
+5

Aaah, nostalgia, I still remember when I used to be nostalgic.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2014, 06:27:50 pm »

I don't own any of the consoles you mentioned here other than PlayStation. I'd say my blissful ignorance saved me a lot of money.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2014, 06:32:53 pm »

FF4 missing content and flair?  Blasphemy!  Palom and Porom!  Cid!  Rydia!  Plus you got that one dude Edward so you could be so happy that he finally dies!

Well, FF6 has a lot of content.  My main problem (perhaps the only real flaw) with FF6 is that it introduce the "play a shit ton of mini games instead of playing the actual game in order to get items that are otherwise unattainable".  To me that sent a bad thread through the Final Fantasy games which really brought itself to head in FFX, almost entirely dismantling my enjoyment of the game at times.   

But anyway, FF4 is my nostalgic game of the FF series.  And, like most of the American players, it was my first Final Fantasy game after the original, so it was a huge jump up in terms of character development and personality for me.
By the end, all you did in FF4 was level grind and cast reflect. At least, that's how I remembered it. Though, I was impressed at how FF4 got away with not having a character select option. Your party was always decided by the plot.

Never played FFX, but I'd be impressed if it was more about the mini-games than FF8 AKA Final Fantasy Transmute: Triple Triad Edition.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:34:15 pm by markusin »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2014, 06:40:50 pm »

By the end, all you did in FF4 was level grind and cast reflect. At least, that's how I remembered it. Though, I was impressed at how FF4 got away with not having a character select option. Your party was always decided by the plot.

Never played FFX, but I'd be impressed if it was more about the mini-games than FF8 AKA Final Fantasy Transmute: Triple Triad Edition.

Google how to get the ultimate weapons in FFX.  Pretty sure I've never screamed so hard at my console as when I was trying to do these.  I think I only finished half of them.  I suppose there wasn't a single thing as prevalent as the card game in FF8, but there are so many of them.  And they're such a pain, and you have to have perfect reactions.  Made me want to hurt things.

I really don't mind grinding.  I mean, that's kind of what Final Fantasy games are.. you grind, explore, fight boss battles, and read along with the story.  That's kind of what I like.  You can always increase the challenge by grinding less and going for battles ahead of your level.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 2.332 seconds with 20 queries.