Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I was worried Robzz was wrong!  (Read 3573 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
I was worried Robzz was wrong!
« on: April 25, 2014, 01:48:39 pm »
+2

I really though for a second Pirate Ship was going to beat me...

Code: [Select]
Cellar, Hermit, Sage, Island, Pirate Ship, Treasure Map, Band of Misfits, Horn of Plenty, Venture, Fairgrounds
The log:
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140425/log.50ee5151e4b0433d9e57f7c7.1398447604683.txt

I go BM+Venture with Hermit to gain Silver. He goes... Sage Pirate Ship? I think he forgot how hard Sage's choke on VP cards. I also badly had to trash my first Hermit, so I gained way less Silver than I should have. I know my strategy was better, but I'll ask everyone here anyway. Is my strategy better? Is this another nail in PS's coffin? My opponent's goko rating was roughly 5600 I think. I don't know what is iso rating is.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: I was worried Robzz was wrong!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 02:22:22 pm »

Venture is a strong defense for a treasure deck against pirates, so this kingdom says very little about pirates in general. Sage + pirate ship is a combo though and your opponent needed more pirate ships. He should be able to trash out the shelters and have some pirate+4 copper hands to buy more stuff, however he was unlucky with the hermit and bought cellars that lowered his spending.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 02:49:45 pm »
+5

And what do we say to Pirate Ship? "Thanks for the Copper trashing, enjoy your eventual terminal Gold or Harvest."

I kind of think Treasure Map/Sage would beat Pirate Ship here, too.

Thanks for the shoutout!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 02:52:26 pm »

Venture is a strong defense for a treasure deck against pirates, so this kingdom says very little about pirates in general. Sage + pirate ship is a combo though and your opponent needed more pirate ships. He should be able to trash out the shelters and have some pirate+4 copper hands to buy more stuff, however he was unlucky with the hermit and bought cellars that lowered his spending.

The only +actions are Necro and Madman, so really he's only going to play 2 Pirate ships a turn maximum, and he needs to start his turn with Necro of madman in his hand because his Sage's skip them. I don't see is being a good combo, especially since I was unlucky to lose my hermit at the start (I mean, I could have bought copper to keep it) and it was a pretty close game until the end where he couldn't get more than 1 buy or gain per turn.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 02:54:49 pm »

And what do we say to Pirate Ship? "Thanks for the Copper trashing, enjoy your eventual terminal Gold or Harvest."

Thanks for the shoutout!

He got his PS to be worth $7 very fast, and he did hit 2 ventures, 2 golds and a silver. He did trash 3 or 4 copper too, so it probably balances itself out.

Oh yeah, I also had 5/2, so I opened very poorly with Cellar/Hermit... what? I did that? Why not BoM I'll never know.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 02:58:36 pm »

Thanks for the shoutout!

He got his PS to be worth $7 very fast, and he did hit 2 ventures, 2 golds and a silver. He did trash 3 or 4 copper too, so it probably balances itself out.

Oh yeah, I also had 5/2, so I opened very poorly with Cellar/Hermit... what? I did that? Why not BoM I'll never know.

That sounds awful, but if your opponent's PS deck can't win in that case, then it just can't win.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 03:00:33 pm »

Any chance for Madman/Horn of Plenty here?  It might be tricky getting 8 differently named cards in play, and you haven't got amazing chances for picking up Horn of Plenties with Horn of Plenties.

Curse is an intriguing possibility if you want to avoid losing the Hermit.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 03:04:00 pm »

Any chance for Madman/Horn of Plenty here?  It might be tricky getting 8 differently named cards in play, and you haven't got amazing chances for picking up Horn of Plenties with Horn of Plenties.

Curse is an intriguing possibility if you want to avoid losing the Hermit.

I actually thought about HoP, but I only came to 7 cards. BoM, Sage, Gold, Silver, Copper, HoP, Venture. Madman doesn't stay in play, but you could add a terminal in there too. It was too tricky and I think BM is good enough here to beat that most of the time, with Venture and Silver gaining from Hermit.

EDIT: Cellar works too for HoP, but it decreases hand size which is bad. You would need a good amount of madmen to draw enough cards to guarantee all them being in play.
I didn't think of curse. Easy to trash with Hermit too, which is nice.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:05:52 pm by KingZog3 »

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 03:29:16 pm »
+2

Hermit-HoP easily wins here, especially if your opponent trashes your Coppers.

Just fire of when you have enough Madmen. Necropolis, Sage, Cellar, Copper, Silver, Gold, Hermit, HoP, and you could also add a Venture or Island.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 03:58:13 pm »
+2

Just fire of when you have enough Madmen. Necropolis, Sage, Cellar, Copper, Silver, Gold, Hermit, HoP, and you could also add a Venture or Island.

Like Madman, Island doesn't stay in play.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 04:03:58 pm »
+1

Like Madman, Island doesn't stay in play.

Good to know. I had to find out the former the hard way, although I unexpectedly got a soft landing, as with 7 uniques I was able to gain Duchies instead of Provinces and finish the game on piles.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 05:54:59 pm »

Madman/Treasure Map into Fairgrounds slog? Adding Island, it seems like the megaturn player would have some trouble. I don't think you can fire fast enough, and I find it difficult to get all 8 Provinces in one turn anyway, with all those cards you need to get plus 7 HoPs. Hermit can only gain you Cellar and Silver.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 06:18:36 pm »
+2

And other Hermits, and Sages(!). And you're in no way obliged to get 8 Provinces. If your opponent goes for Fairgrounds and Islands, the HoP strategy can just work towards a megaturn where it 3-piles on Islands, Fairgrounds and probably Hermits. Fairgrounds makes the strategy that has more gamestate control stronger, not weaker. And you can seed your final megaturn with a preliminary megaturn where you play 3 Madmen, 3 or 4 Hermits, gain lots of stuff with HoPs, don't buy anything and thus gain new Madmen. If your opponent doesn't get a bunch of Hermits himself you can even do this twice.

Giving up control by going for a slog is rarely worth it, and never when the board has such explosive potential.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 20 queries.