Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: CC #48: Stockholder  (Read 4573 times)

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
CC #48: Stockholder
« on: April 24, 2014, 02:48:20 pm »
+10

Stockholder - $5
Action
+3 Cards
You may put any number of cards from your hand on top of your deck.

Haven't posted a card in over a year. Been busy designing other games and all that jazz. My friend and I were discussing ideas like this the other night. It started as a convoluted top-decking treasure that worked during your buy-phase and put exactly 5 cards back, but after theory-crafting and talking it through, it seems better as a card-drawing action, and the need for a limit of top-decking seems unnecessary. Mostly this card just sets up your next hand when you get terminal collision or have excess treasure. There are a few cute things you can do with it (Tunnel + Venture), but I haven't found much in the way of flagrant abuse. Anyway, it interested me enough to post. Critique away.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 05:02:30 pm by Rush_Clasic »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3228
    • View Profile
Re: CC #48: Stockholder
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 03:01:42 pm »

looks really good, actually. really simple too. My main concern is that it's probably pretty weak. It's srictly better than courtard, which is fine for a 5$ card, but I see it being used as couryard quite often, which is not great.

I think it needs some kind of buff. +1buy or any sort of on-gain effect come to mind

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 03:04:15 pm »
+3

looks really good, actually. really simple too. My main concern is that it's probably pretty weak. It's srictly better than courtard, which is fine for a 5$ card, but I see it being used as couryard quite often, which is not great.

I think it needs some kind of buff. +1buy or any sort of on-gain effect come to mind

+1 buy sort of goes against the purpose of the card. You want to set up a better next turn, chances are you won't have lots to spend this turn. An on-gain sounds nice though. Perhaps something related, like "when you gain this, put two action cards from play on top of your deck"

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 03:17:41 pm »

+1 buy sort of goes against the purpose of the card. You want to set up a better next turn, chances are you won't have lots to spend this turn. An on-gain sounds nice though. Perhaps something related, like "when you gain this, put two action cards from play on top of your deck"

i was thinking buy because it's the only reasonable vanilla bonus, but you're right.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 03:48:53 pm »
+3

It's probably not so weak that it needs more text. There are times where it will be an overpriced Courtyard. There are times it will be an overpriced Smithy. And there are times where you'll stash 3 useful cards while still buying a Colony. It's close enough to the middle of the curve and does enough interesting things that extras just sort of get in the way of a simpler idea.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 08:24:05 pm »
+1

I agree with Rush. While this does sound like a somewhat weak $5, it's still not bad. There's plenty of Kingdoms where you would buy a few Smithies for $5. It's a great card idea, a simple Smithy+.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:25:43 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 05:45:07 pm »

What about giving the bonus on-gain as well, so 'When you gain this, you may place any number of cards from your hand on top of your deck?"

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 12:58:07 pm »

That'd be thematic for sure. As a single card, I'm trying to keep it to the bare minimum of the idea. In a set, there might be other needs that warrant adding text to the card, and that idea would be quite an interesting one.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 01:53:07 pm »
+1

Too weak?  This card strikes me as very powerful.  I would put a limit on how many cards can be topdecked.  Maybe at most 2?  Although I suppose in practice seeding your next hand with two cards is good enough.
Well you *do* need a signature...

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 03:08:18 pm »

very strong with decks where you can draw your whole deck and you have left over engine parts. you can set up your next turn very nicely (although you shouldnt have many unused cards)
Go, and do likewise.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 03:13:53 pm »

What's wrong with Explorer, explorer is fine..

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 03:33:19 pm »

Uh... what?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 04:18:44 pm »

forget i said anything >_<
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 04:23:30 pm by silverspawn »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 04:21:35 pm »

Uh... what?

He's saying that Stockholder is fine, even if it isn't the most powerful $5 in the game.  And I agree. In a bunch of kingdoms it will just be an expensive Smithy.  But frequently enough it will enable some slick combos or get some powerful engines flowing.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 04:23:52 pm »

???

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 04:28:25 pm »

Uh... what?

He's saying that Stockholder is fine, even if it isn't the most powerful $5 in the game.  And I agree. In a bunch of kingdoms it will just be an expensive Smithy.  But frequently enough it will enable some slick combos or get some powerful engines flowing.
Oh, right. I don't think it's Explorer weak though, I would imagine it's great at preventing the "terminal draw without a splitter" hand that sometimes ruins multiple turns for an unlucky engine player.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 08:04:26 pm »
+1

forget i said anything >_<

Again some people complain about various other cards but I am having none of it. Pirate Ship is weak but I don't think it should be stronger. I like Treasure Map as is. Fishing Village and Wharf are strong engine-enablers and well we are talking good times there. Pearl Diver and Navigator are not prized, but they look reasonable to me, and as I have said many times, if I made all cards better by making them maximally complex, the game would have no players. Explorer is fine, why do people even complain about Explorer. They can't all be the best $5 ever.

Italics added.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.738 seconds with 20 queries.