Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Looking for feedback on my game project, Foe Hunters - Co-Op Fantasy Deck Buildi  (Read 3922 times)

Spellforge Games

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
    • Spellforge Games

My name is Larry and I am looking for some feedback/ideas on my project, Foe Hunters. Here is the overview:

It has been a while since I have updated things, but I am finally ready to start telling the world about my game: Foe Hunters. I have had several people ask me about the game and they like the sound of a co-op fantasy adventure game. I have been working on Foe Hunters for over a year and it is to the point where I want to start talking to people about the game!

The question I get asked the most is “What is Foe Hunters?” Foe Hunters is a co-operative fantasy deck building/adventure game. When I say fantasy, I mean D&D style fantasy with dragons and orcs and wizards, the whole shebang. Each player takes the role of a powerful Hero while they work together to defeat the Foe. There are 12 unique heroes in Foe Hunters, each of them have their own unique starting deck. I wont unveil the heroes today, but just think of the classic fantasy archetypes, they are all probably there in one way or another. Instead of being very bland and going “Fighter” “Wizard”, etc; each Hero class is more or less unique with their own mechanics that make them cool and stand out. Each Hero plays in a totally different way as well; their class mechanics actually “feel” like the class you are playing. It is very easy to imagine yourself in the role of one of the Heroes as you face the Foe. Speaking of the Foe... while the Heroes are building their party and gaining cards they are constantly harassed by the powerful Foe. Currently there are 4 different Foes in the game, each of them is completely different and has unique mechanics that make each game different.

So what makes Foe Hunters different? I mentioned deck building earlier, right? In Foe Hunters, the players are trying to obtain powerful abilities and equipment to help their party defeat the Foe. This isn’t like most deckbuilding games though, where you basically play solitaire with yourself every turn, discard your hand and say go. No, Foe Hunters works differently; instead of discarding cards to purchase new abilities, your hero has an EXP pool that they use to purchase cards. Whenever you purchase a card, you spend EXP from your pool and buy the card, no discarding required. The other cool thing about Foe Hunters is that when you buy a card, it doesn't go into your discard for you to play in 10 turns from now; cards you purchase are immediately available for play! Do you need a card to destroy the powerful Equipment the Foe just played? No problem! One of the Heroes is in critical need of healing? Buy the healing ability and use it that turn to buy him another turn!

Over the next few weeks I will be unveiling the Heroes and Foes in Foe Hunters through the blog on the website. The game is about to begin blind testing, so it is an exciting time for us! (If you are interested in helping with blind testing, please head over to www.spellforgegames.com and leave me a message through the contact form) I love to get ideas and feedback from people, so please leave a comment or shoot me a message here, on Facebook or Twitter, or through the website. Hopefully I have piqued your interest a little bit today and you are interested in learning more about Foe Hunters!

Thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to hearing some feedback :)

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
+6

This isn’t like most deckbuilding games though, where you basically play solitaire with yourself every turn....

#import rant

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile

This isn’t like most deckbuilding games though, where you basically play solitaire with yourself every turn....

#import rant

Yeah.  Using that line is probably the best way to make us all say "No thanks, you should try actually playing some deckbuilding games."  Even the ones I don't like aren't multiplayer solitaire...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile

Also I really have no idea if your game will be fun or not until I know how to play it. All your blurb tells me is:
-Cooperative
-Asymmetric
-Deckbuilding
-something something exp pool as money something no discarding something
-Get bought cards immediately

I like points 1, 2, and 3, but they are very broad.
Points 4 and 5 are very scary. They seem to be the opposite of some of the things that make dominion great. But I don't really know what they mean in your game, because really I still have no idea how your game plays.

Spellforge Games

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
    • Spellforge Games

I appreciate your replies. I wasn't trying to be hostile or pick a fight.. I honestly love deckbuilding games, especially Dominion and Thunderstone; I just know a lot of people complain about the interaction in these games.

To Herons points:

The game plays like a mix of the DC Deckbuilding Game and Sentinels of the Multiverse. Players gain EXP as they play different cards or as the party defeats cards that the Foe plays. Each player can only play 1 card on their turn, so if they purchase a card from the city row they can play it immediately. In example, lets say there is a card the Foe played that the party needs to answer, and there is an answer in the City row, one of the Heroes can purchase the card and play it.

The way I explain it is kind of like Texas Holdem: The whole party has the city row available, if they can afford the cards. Each starting deck has 14-16 cards, so you will shuffle your discard in after a few turns of play. This makes hand management more important in this game since you don't discard your hand at the end of every turn.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom

TBH, I love sentinels, so I am cautiously optimistic.

Spellforge Games

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
    • Spellforge Games

Thanks rrenaud!

The turn order is similar to Sentinels, but with a lot more interaction. Players have a lot more to do and there is more interaction between players, especially on off turns. There are several abilities that let you take damage instead of another player or single target buffs that benefit other players, so it really benefits the co-op "party" playstyle.

Think about sentinels of the multiverse, but with a deck building element as well, that will give you a decent idea of how play goes.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile

I don't see the connection between cards going into your hand immediately and increased interaction.
In the healing card example you make the interaction is caused by the effect of that card, not by the fact that it is available imemdiately.

Spellforge Games

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
    • Spellforge Games

Hey Watno,

Ya, I didn't really paint the best picture. Think about it like this:

The Foe has a card that kills everyone next turn. You have an ability that will take care of the card that will kill everyone, but its not in your hand. There is however a card in the city row that allows a target player to search their deck for a card and put it in their hand. The party would have to work together to determine that someone has to be able to afford and buy that card and then play it on the other player to dig for the answer.

That is just an example, but ya. There are a lot of abilities that benefit other players on their turns, so figuring out who to "buff" or who to set up is just another part of planning, etc.

Spellforge Games

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
    • Spellforge Games

Hey Gang,

I made an update that talks about the 4 Foes in the game right now. You can read it here:

http://spellforgegames.com/foe-foe-hunters/

Thanks for all the questions and support.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.