Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Superbrothers: Swords and Sworcery  (Read 1296 times)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
Superbrothers: Swords and Sworcery
« on: April 21, 2014, 02:59:33 pm »
+1

Wow. I just got this game a few days ago. It is probably the best mobile game I have ever played. It combines a really interesting story with incredible music, and striking pixel art. It breaks the fourth wall almost instantly, and has this self-referential sort of undercurrent that is pretty funny considering its overall dark theme.

I think it's like 4.99 for mobile, which is kind of steep. And it is also one of those rare games which started on ios, and subsequently migrated to both android and steam. I still think it's well worth the money though. Particularly considering that the game has one part <spoiler alert> that can take about a month to complete since it is dependent on cyclical changes in the moon.
If anyone on here has played it, I'm sure they'll have great things to say about it!

The puzzles aren't all that difficult, but some of the battles can be challenging. Overall, this is a game built to create a particular experience--which is something I think it does very well. And because the designers are aware of the potentially addictive qualities of the game, they built in break points. Which are explained because “Our research shows that prolonged exposure to the mythopoetic psychocosmology of S:S&S EP can have adverse side effects”. That right there tells you a lot. The game basically has this meta-claim to be some sort of therapy for sadness.
Anyway, I'd love to hear what you guys thought/think of it and hope that you play it, because it really is an incredible experience.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:00:52 pm by Ichimaru Gin »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Re: Superbrothers: Swords and Sworcery
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:27:44 pm »
+2

I was a bit disappointed. It has a nice story, even if a bit too postmodernist for me. On the other hand, as said in the credits, this is a "gamelike experience", not a real "game", knowledge that I would have appreciated having before starting it so as to not expect something else.

YMMV.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
Re: Superbrothers: Swords and Sworcery
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:04:00 pm »

I was a bit disappointed. It has a nice story, even if a bit too postmodernist for me. On the other hand, as said in the credits, this is a "gamelike experience", not a real "game", knowledge that I would have appreciated having before starting it so as to not expect something else.

YMMV.

Yeah. I don't think the game is for everyone. Personally, I am really enjoying it. But I can see someone looking for more of a real game might be disappointed. It is almost more like interactive fiction in some ways.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 20 queries.