Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dutch/Belgian Dominion championships 2014  (Read 6168 times)

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
Dutch/Belgian Dominion championships 2014
« on: April 20, 2014, 10:40:49 am »

Hi guys,

I have read that The Hague will not be organizing the "spellenaanzee" games fest, so there is not going to be a NK/BK Dominion there in any case.

They also said that they would see with 999 if somebody would take over the organization.

I had a quick talk with -Stef- on the subject. He was the one who proposed last year to maybe do online preliminals for the tourney. It has advantages of course - not dragging along tons of sets, quicker to organize etc.

Aside the organization, which somebody will have to think about ... Are there any other suggestions ?

-Stef- e.g. also had the idea of making the tourney an "open" tourney - open for all nationalities. German, French, British ... Of course the Belgian/Dutch champion would only go to our countries.

I'm posting this to see if there are any other ideas around. Feel free to comment!
Here comes the mirror man. Says he's a people fan.

dirkdebeule

• Spy
  • Why Not?
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
Re: Dutch/Belgian Dominion championships 2014
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 07:34:14 am »

Hi,

Last year (2013) I had contact with 999games for organizing a VK (Vlaams Kampioenschap cfr Flemish Championship)) around Oct/Nov 2014.
Because of a personal "too busy agenda" (rebuilding my house) plans are postponed to 2015.
I have worked out the format completely for 27 players with 3p/table.
The only problem is time! I don't use a time-end-rule.
Therefore I want to shorten up the games with a tournament-house-rule to maximise games to 45 minutes.
My suggestions for 3 players are: 1) victory piles have 9 cards (instead of 12) or 2) action piles have 8 cards (instead of 10) or 3) both 1+2

Any suggestions, comments?
The Witch likes walking from her Throne Room to her Workshop in the Garden 😁

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12862
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 07:59:37 am »
+1

Hi,

Last year (2013) I had contact with 999games for organizing a VK (Vlaams Kampioenschap cfr Flemish Championship)) around Oct/Nov 2014.
Because of a personal "too busy agenda" (rebuilding my house) plans are postponed to 2015.
Therefore I want to shorten up the games with a tournament-house-rule to maximise games to 45 minutes.
My suggestions for 3 players are: 1) victory piles have 9 cards (instead of 12) or 2) action piles have 8 cards (instead of 10) or 3) both 1+2

Consider doing 2-player games instead. They are a lot faster and more suitable for a competitive environment. You can probably do a best-out-of-three-games match in 45 minutes with two players per game.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 08:35:37 am »
+1

Hi,

In the tournament in Michigan I went to, they dealt with a time limit by adding another endgame condition: time. We got warnings when time was running low and at the end if time runs out, everybody just gets one more turn.

Players were asked to report opponents who looked like they were stalling for time to the tournament director, but that never happened.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

dirkdebeule

• Spy
  • Why Not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 02:06:08 pm »

Awaclus, true but then i need more space, tables, boxes, ...😒
I tested the format several times and the only problem is the time per game.
So i am only looking to solve this item.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 03:47:41 pm »

Awaclus, true but then i need more space, tables, boxes, ...😒
Is it necessary to fit in 27 players?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 04:55:23 pm »

Are you sure you're gonna have exactly 27 players?

dirkdebeule

• Spy
  • Why Not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 08:12:44 pm »

9 or 18 is also a possibility.
I still need the same time only less place, tables, boxes,...  :)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 05:32:35 am »

If 18 is a possibility, you can do 2-player games with the same number of games that would be required for 27 players and 3-player games.

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +429
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 12:30:49 pm »
+1

From experience, you are unlikely to be able to ensure that you have exactly 9, 18, or 27 players.  Someone will no-show, or leave early, or show up and want to play at the last minute. Be prepared for this possibility.

ArjanB

• Spy
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 09:59:16 am »

Aah what a shame.
However I didnt always agreed with the way they organised the tournament, I really enjoyed playing in real life against each other.
So also not a big fan by replacing this with an online tournament, which is offcourse alot easier.

I dont think it would be a problem to find a game store who would like to offer their space.
The one big problem could be the material.

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 07:58:55 pm »

ArjanB : the idea would be to do the preliminaries online. Last year, the preliminaries were really poor (I heard some being cancelled in NL, in BE we had exactly ... one!) ... That's why I would prefer online, the finals should be live.

Dirkdebeule & Awaclus : I agree with Awaclus here. 3 player is nice, but the real strategy of a dominion player is more shown in heads up. To quote one of my friends : "witch on the board, no reaction, no gardens, I don't have 5/2, the other two do ... I'm screwed" - he got $4+ after 10 turns ...).

As for the number of sets needed, in BE we did a very simple rule, which can be easily extended. Take one box of each extension you have. Suppose we have 4, that gives us about 100 cards. Take 10 at random cards for each table (with young witch as an exception). You can set up 10 games this way.
Here comes the mirror man. Says he's a people fan.

Indur

• Swindler
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 04:48:57 am »

I would just like to add my 2 cents:

2p vs 3p or 4p:
I feel that the only way to (try to) determine the best Dominion player in a real-life setting is via 2p games. In 3p or 4p it's simply not possible to play enough games in a day to filter out the (much bigger) luck factor.

Qualifiers
To my mind, it has become clear that there are not enough players in the Netherlands and Belgium to hold live qualifiers. Maybe this will change in the future, maybe it won't.
I for one would like to see a Championship that is open to all, instead of a small gathering of players who qualified in online prelims. Because of the unknown number of players who show up this could mean having a number of rounds with a knock-out system instead of round-robin or Swiss. That's not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion; it's something that happens in a lot of tournaments, from tennis to chess, from Magic to soccer. A nice thing about a real-life tournament is meeting fellow players; if you're knocked out of the main event, you can just start up a game with some people you might have only met online.

An added possibility is organizing tournaments (either online or live) where people can earn byes for the first round (or couple of rounds).

Material
Material only seems to be a problem if we want to have the same board on each table during a round. Maybe we just have to accept that this is not feasible.

“Memories are their own descendents masquerading as the ancestors of the present.”
--David Mitchell --
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.