Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Black Market -> Feast -> Mandarin  (Read 2039 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Black Market -> Feast -> Mandarin
« on: December 03, 2011, 10:49:44 pm »

I have multiple Actions and a Black Market, Feast, and 3 Copper in hand. Can I:

1) play Black Market, and play my 3 Copper
2) play Feast, gaining a Mandarin, and placing my 3 Copper in play back onto my deck
3) Have $3 to spend at this point?

On Isotropic, you currently keep the $3 even after Mandarin puts the Copper back on your deck.  Given enough Black Markets and Feasts and Mandarins, and then enough card draw to draw back the Treasure you put back on top, you could potentially multiply the total amount of money you have in your deck.

Bank can further complicate things, of course. 

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Black Market -> Feast -> Mandarin
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 11:22:46 pm »
+5

I don't see why you can't do that. You might as well have played a horn of plenty with the black market, gained a the mandarin to top deck the treasures including the horn of plenty, then bought a border village from black market using the treasure that isn't there, gained an inn so you can shuffle the mandarin back into the deck, then gained a cache as you'd already played a haggler before buying the border village, put that on top of the deck as well since you had a watchtower in hand, but used the trader in hand to return the coppers to the supply and gain them as silver on top of the deck as well. If you'd played enough schemes you could probably do it all again next turn!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:26:31 pm by DG »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 11:31:42 pm »

I have multiple Actions and a Black Market, Feast, and 3 Copper in hand. Can I:

1) play Black Market, and play my 3 Copper
2) play Feast, gaining a Mandarin, and placing my 3 Copper in play back onto my deck
3) Have $3 to spend at this point?

Well, the nitpicky answer is no, you have $5 to spend, since you didn't spend the +$2 from the Black Market either. But yeah, this is covered by the FAQ entry: "This does not stop you from having the coins you got for playing those treasures." Essentially the same question was brought up in a thread at BGG regarding a potential ludicrous Horn-of-Plenty/Mandarin/Venture combo that could result in you playing the same Treasure card multiple times on the same turn.

Buggz

• Spy
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 04:04:35 am »
+1

Since they have no "while this is in play" clause, I view the treasure in the same way as any other type of +action/buy/coins. Once the card is played you've got its bonus, no matter what happens to the card afterwards.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:43:04 pm by Buggz »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 12:57:36 pm »
+1

Since they have no "while this is in play" clause, I view the treasure in the same way as any other type of +action/buy/coins. Once the card is played you've got its bonus, no matter what happens to the card afterwards.

<i>Some</i> treasures have a "while this is in play" clause. (But sure.)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 20 queries.