Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I got DOMINIONED! Ill-gotten-gains AND Embargo?  (Read 4252 times)

brewmaster27

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
I got DOMINIONED! Ill-gotten-gains AND Embargo?
« on: April 18, 2014, 08:47:13 pm »

So I was playing online dominion with one of the most interesting boards I've seen in a while... cards were duke, ill gotten gains, embargo, quarry, pirate ship, beggar, baron, golem, farming village and I don't remember the rest because they weren't really relevant. Also I should note the game started with shelters instead of estates, which factors in heavily to this particular game.

So I go early pirate ship/embargo, and he gets silver and a quarry I think. So I'm pirate shipping his coppers and I also hit a quarry, but he had already used it and a silver to get 3 early ill-gotten gains before I finally embargoed the pile to stop him. So I wind up with 3 curses in my deck... but he's getting his treasures thinned out by my pirate ship. Then I start buying up a few farming villages to chain my embargoes/necropolis and at the same time, use my pirate ship more. I also was able to get 4 golds in my deck before embargoing the gold pile as well. He didn't even get a chance to get any golds before I do this. Then I embargoed the pirate ship (but at this point he already had 1 in his deck as well), and also the golem pile when I saw he bought a potion. I get 2 early provinces using my pirate ship and the golds I have before he finally caves in and decides to take a pirate ship and the curse that comes with it. Then he winds up buying a few other embargoed cards (including a province, golem, and another pirate ship and taking the curses with them). Before too long he has 5 curses compared to my 4 (I took another province after I had embargoed it earlier). So at this point I had been whittling down the quarry pile as to force 3 piles empty, and to seal the deal, I figure I'd take an ill gotten gains from the embargoed pile (thinking incorrectly this would give him the last curse, and I'd get an ill gotten gains without a penalty). To my surprise, it was ME who received the last curse from the pile. Then with no curses left, he got lucky draws and proceeded to draw the last provinces beating me by 6 points!!! (This probably never would have happened if a curse remained in the pile).

So what's the deal? I thought the ill-gotten-gains effect would resolve before the "embargo" effect (doesn't the on-gain effect resolve immediately???). But instead, it was the opposite and I lost the game I should have won. Can someone please clarify the rule with embargoed ill-gotten-gains pile when the curses are about to run out? It seems counter-intuitive that the embargo would supercede the card's natural on-gain effect. :o

brewmaster27

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
Re: I got DOMINIONED! Ill-gotten-gains AND Embargo?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 08:49:11 pm »

I should also note that mid-game he bought an embargo and embargoed the embargo pile (with 4 embargoes left in it). I guess he got tired of me spamming embargo. It also forced me not to try to draw out the embargoes with the quarries.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 09:05:22 pm »
+3

So what's the deal? I thought the ill-gotten-gains effect would resolve before the "embargo" effect (doesn't the on-gain effect resolve immediately???). But instead, it was the opposite and I lost the game I should have won. Can someone please clarify the rule with embargoed ill-gotten-gains pile when the curses are about to run out? It seems counter-intuitive that the embargo would supercede the card's natural on-gain effect. :o
Embargo is "when-buy," Ill-Gotten Gains is "when-gain." You buy a card before you gain it - buying it causes you to gain it. So when-buy effects resolve before when-gain effects.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 09:05:47 pm »
+5

Embargo resolves on buy, which happens prior to gaining a card, so you getting the Curse is correct.

And Beggar into Duchy-Duke is a lot stronger on this board than anything involving Pirate Ships, Embargoes, IGGs and Provinces. Open Beggar/Beggar, then buy nothing but Duchies, Dukes and more Beggars (and Estates close to the end of the game).

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 09:10:14 pm »
+1

Embargo resolves on buy, which happens prior to gaining a card, so you getting the Curse is correct.

And Beggar into Duchy-Duke is a lot stronger on this board than anything involving Pirate Ships, Embargoes, IGGs and Provinces. Open Beggar/Beggar, then buy nothing but Duchies, Dukes and more Beggars (and Estates close to the end of the game).

But ... that's not an engine at all! :o

brewmaster27

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 09:14:46 pm »

Embargo is "when-buy," Ill-Gotten Gains is "when-gain." You buy a card before you gain it - buying it causes you to gain it. So when-buy effects resolve before when-gain effects.

Thanks! Only wish I had known this before I lost this winnable game  :(

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 09:30:13 pm »
+3

But ... that's not an engine at all! :o

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 05:00:50 am »

So I was playing online dominion with one of the most interesting boards I've seen in a while... cards were duke, ill gotten gains, embargo, quarry, pirate ship, beggar, baron, golem, farming village and I don't remember the rest because they weren't really relevant. Also I should note the game started with shelters instead of estates, which factors in heavily to this particular game.

So I go early pirate ship/embargo, and he gets silver and a quarry I think. So I'm pirate shipping his coppers and I also hit a quarry, but he had already used it and a silver to get 3 early ill-gotten gains before I finally embargoed the pile to stop him. So I wind up with 3 curses in my deck... but he's getting his treasures thinned out by my pirate ship. Then I start buying up a few farming villages to chain my embargoes/necropolis and at the same time, use my pirate ship more. I also was able to get 4 golds in my deck before embargoing the gold pile as well. He didn't even get a chance to get any golds before I do this. Then I embargoed the pirate ship (but at this point he already had 1 in his deck as well), and also the golem pile when I saw he bought a potion. I get 2 early provinces using my pirate ship and the golds I have before he finally caves in and decides to take a pirate ship and the curse that comes with it. Then he winds up buying a few other embargoed cards (including a province, golem, and another pirate ship and taking the curses with them). Before too long he has 5 curses compared to my 4 (I took another province after I had embargoed it earlier). So at this point I had been whittling down the quarry pile as to force 3 piles empty, and to seal the deal, I figure I'd take an ill gotten gains from the embargoed pile (thinking incorrectly this would give him the last curse, and I'd get an ill gotten gains without a penalty). To my surprise, it was ME who received the last curse from the pile. Then with no curses left, he got lucky draws and proceeded to draw the last provinces beating me by 6 points!!! (This probably never would have happened if a curse remained in the pile).

it is that game http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140418/log.510ab5cde4b09803ddb91f73.1397866740449.txt

The 10th card was Feodum !
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.