Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mountain Village (Action)  (Read 4319 times)

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
Mountain Village (Action)
« on: April 14, 2014, 11:13:16 am »
+1

A Village variant:

Code: [Select]
Mountain Village (Action)---(3)
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
You may reveal three Treasure cards from your hand.
If you do, choose one:
+1 Card
Or +2 Cards, and the player to your left chooses
one of your revealed Treasure cards that you discard.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Mountain Village (Action)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 01:01:09 pm »

This seems pretty interesting, but I think you can remove the +1 card option. If you have 3 treasures, chances are you don't have a good hand for that Village you'll be drawing as much as you can. On top of that your opponent Pillages you for your best treasure, which hurts. It would need playtesting, but my feeling is the +1card will rarely get taken (because that's just Worker's Village).

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 01:13:37 pm »
+1

This seems pretty interesting, but I think you can remove the +1 card option. If you have 3 treasures, chances are you don't have a good hand for that Village you'll be drawing as much as you can. On top of that your opponent Pillages you for your best treasure, which hurts. It would need playtesting, but my feeling is the +1card will rarely get taken (because that's just Worker's Village).
I thought that the +1 Card option helps if there was a high value treasure card revealed.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 01:21:53 pm »
+1

I thought that the +1 Card option helps if there was a high value treasure card revealed.

It does. Playtest it. I could be completely wrong.I think the reason everyone will take +2 cards is that if you don't have any actions in hand you'll want to try and draw them, even if it costs you a good Treasure.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 02:05:25 pm »
+2

It looks interesting.  My first impression is that it has more going on than necessary.  What is the core idea?  The +buy probably isn't essential, and clutters an already wordy card.  And I agree that you may consider removing the choice.  Villages that draw will be chained often, so if each play requires two choices by two players that will really slow things down.
Well you *do* need a signature...

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 02:12:17 pm »

It looks interesting.  My first impression is that it has more going on than necessary.  What is the core idea?  The +buy probably isn't essential, and clutters an already wordy card.  And I agree that you may consider removing the choice.  Villages that draw will be chained often, so if each play requires two choices by two players that will really slow things down.
There are no deep ideas behind this card. I created it to have a Village in my set, and the +1 Buy was added, since that opyion is rare in my set as well. Otherwise, I thought that a relative early Mountain Village might deal well with the many Coppers, especially when there is no trashing ability.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 03:32:51 pm »

There are no deep ideas behind this card. I created it to have a Village in my set, and the +1 Buy was added, since that opyion is rare in my set as well. Otherwise, I thought that a relative early Mountain Village might deal well with the many Coppers, especially when there is no trashing ability.

Then make a card that focuses on dealing with Coppers. But this card is pretty bad as a Village, because you want lots of actions. This wants lots of Treasures. By the time you use it as a village, it's essentially Necropolis+. Also it's close ot being strictly better than Shanty Town I think.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 03:42:58 pm »

Then make a card that focuses on dealing with Coppers. But this card is pretty bad as a Village, because you want lots of actions. This wants lots of Treasures. By the time you use it as a village, it's essentially Necropolis+. Also it's close ot being strictly better than Shanty Town I think.
How can it be close to being strictly better than Shanty Town (same costs), but only worth a Necropolis+?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 04:02:03 pm »

How can it be close to being strictly better than Shanty Town (same costs), but only worth a Necropolis+?

Both activate in hands essentially with no other actions (Shanty Town is with no actions, this with lots of Treasure). Shanty becomes +2cards +2actions, this becomes Worker's Village (a $4 card) OR discard your best Treasure and mini-warehouse. Plus if it doesn't activate its better than Shanty not activating. I dunno, I think its pretty close to being better almost always.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 05:38:36 pm »
+1

Both activate in hands essentially with no other actions (Shanty Town is with no actions, this with lots of Treasure). Shanty becomes +2cards +2actions, this becomes Worker's Village (a $4 card) OR discard your best Treasure and mini-warehouse. Plus if it doesn't activate its better than Shanty not activating. I dunno, I think its pretty close to being better almost always.

I don't think it is, because shanty town is a safe lab if you have no other terminals in your deck, which happens fairly often. I agree with most else what you said though.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 11:46:15 pm »

I don't think it is, because shanty town is a safe lab if you have no other terminals in your deck, which happens fairly often. I agree with most else what you said though.

Yeah, you're probably right. It's a stretch to say it's strictly better.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 10:23:25 am »

Only if you have just one ST. Otherwise, two ST are each a do-nothing cantrip if you have no terminals. Moreover, more than 2 STs in hand actually decrease your handsize.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 10:26:29 am »

Moat is a safe lab if you have no other Actions in your deck.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 01:35:10 pm »

Moat is a safe lab if you have no other Actions in your deck.

ST is safe with non-terminal actions.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 20 queries.