Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Lcgstrategy.com?  (Read 8892 times)

Davio

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Lcgstrategy.com?
« on: April 14, 2014, 02:54:05 am »
+2

As I understand we have dedicated sites for Dominion, Twilight Struggle and a board for Power Grid.

I'm looking for a site dedicated to LCGs and struggling to find a good one. CarboardDb has some forums, there are some personal blogs, but I can't find anything community driven like DS.com or TSS.com, so maybe we can start with a forum board?

I'm especially interested in sharing The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game strategies and experiences, but I'm fine with hosting any and all of the others there as well (Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Android: Netrunner, Ctulhu, some others I forgot).

Are any of you interested in building up a site and/or forum board for these kinds of games? I think the leap from Dominion to LCG's is not a big one. The problem of "you have more powerful cards than I do" is a bit less of an issue with LCGs (though it exists of course) and that's why I can still enjoy them.

I can mostly speak for LOTR and with that one, after a lot of expansions, it seems that most of the cards in players' decks still originate from the Core set and that is a big plus for me. I like how expansions are mostly bought for the new scenarios and less so for the new powerful cards in them. I don't know if this is the same with other LCGs. I also like LOTR the best because it is Coop and so the whole "power creep" issue doesn't exist.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Re: Lcgstrategy.com?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 03:07:56 am »

Lot of new cards being used in A:NR at least. But there's also a lot from Core being used as well.

I don't have super much experience of A:NR but I'd like to think I could be of some help.

Davio

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 04:09:30 am »

Well, the thing about community sites is this: Even if you're wrong, it's sure to be pointed out by someone else who thinks he knows better. So overall, posting anything, even wrong, is better than posting nothing.

I think it would just be fun to get something started and see where it can grow from there.

It's not like I'm a super active and knowledgeable (not at all) LCG player, but if we can get something off the ground, maybe the ones who are will move here and help us. :)

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 04:11:18 am »

Netrunner has stimhack.com and a lot of strategy discussion happens at Netrunner section on BoardGameGeek. There's also a Netrunner subreddit, but I don't read this so I don't know how good it is.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 05:06:32 am »

Well, the thing about community sites is this: Even if you're wrong, it's sure to be pointed out by someone else who thinks he knows better. So overall, posting anything, even wrong, is better than posting nothing.

This is very true.

Netrunner has stimhack.com and a lot of strategy discussion happens at Netrunner section on BoardGameGeek. There's also a Netrunner subreddit, but I don't read this so I don't know how good it is.

I've read some stuff on BGG, but there are not so many opinions as "facts", which annoys me. I have no idea of the stimhack or reddit community.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 05:36:49 pm »

This is very true.

You're wrong!

Wait.... That means you are right...., damn.....
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 05:43:04 pm »
+6

This is very true.

You're wrong!

Wait.... That means you are right...., damn.....

And logic disappeared in a puff of Ozle.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 05:46:52 pm »
+2

What really got DS going was that I could sit in Isotropic and advertise freely.  To my understanding, the same is not really true of say, Catan or other games, which makes the process of taking off a bit more difficult.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 07:04:38 am »

I'd like this. A board would probably be better than a whole new site, though.

Davio

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 07:58:24 am »

I only discovered this site through looking for something beyond the very basic BGG forums. And I found Isotropic through this site. I was playing on Brettspielwelt with the card images back then!

So I wanted to make a forum for those people looking beyond the more generic BGG forums.

Davio

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 07:04:40 am »
+1

If anybody can create an LCG Subforum (and make me a mod for it), that would be great.

Ideally, I would like to have a setup like this:

Other Board Games
- LCG Forums
-- General
-- The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
--- Articles
--- General
-- Android: Netrunner
--- Articles
--- General

And we can add boards like Game Reports as they are needed.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 10:02:18 am »

Who's able to create a board? Maybe none of the mods look at this thread.

Davio

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 10:18:42 am »

Theory can, and he's already looked in this thread.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 10:26:55 am »
+2

I think it makes sense to create an LCG subforum.  I hesitate about splitting it further below that, because I worry it will hurt conversation to have it so fragmented.

What other games count as LCG?  Sentinels?  Hearthstone?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 04:00:16 pm »

From my understanding, Sentinels lacks the deck-building aspect of *CGs, and Hearthstone is a CCG because cards have rarities. But it's not a crime to include any card games you want in this subforum (just change the name -- to what I don't know)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 04:47:45 pm »

Other LCGs include Star Wars: The Card Game, A Game of Thrones, Call of Cthulu, and Warhammer: Invasion The Card Game (not sure how popular this one is). Also announced for the future is Warhammer: Conquest.

Some of these could represent a good place to start, although I don't know what the community for these games looks like. Other games, like Hearthstone, aren't exactly LCGs but might be good choices for the subforum just due to how many people we have represented here already.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 04:59:29 pm »

Ok, so seeing that you've made this subforum already, what should our strategy be for getting word of this out there? I'm not talking to anyone in particular here. The Netrunner community, at least, is extremely active primarily on the BGG forums, but that whole site's just really not ideal. There is a big head start there and people are used to it, but I really think this forum has potential to become the top place on the internet for quality _______ discussion. If we can't get at least some people to make the switch, though, that'll never happen.

So what should our strategy be? Theory could sit in the Iso lobby for free advertising, but we don't really have that (unless there's something similar for OCTGN? I have a mac so I can't play on there). Should we work on developing content first and then letting people know? Blitz the BGG forums telling people there is a better option? Something else?

Edit: also wondering why respect is disabled for this forum?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:11:23 pm by Dsell »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 05:11:24 pm »

I think we'd need something similar to what happened for Dominion - quality articles from a top player drawing people in, and a community building organically from there, for anything to actually work. Like, what other games are on this site? Innovation and Twilight Struggle. TS was theory's brainchild, and that has it's own separate forum which I haven't visited in forever now but I know it exists. Innovation was the result of it appearing on Isotropic and a bunch of us giving it a go/knowing it already and playing it, not really (m)any new people from that.

Trying to get people to come here when there's nothing here but a community for another game is a bad move. And most of those top players who can create content are already doing it, on their own blogs. What do we have to give them incentive to do it here instead?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 05:18:55 pm »

Trying to get people to come here when there's nothing here but a community for another game is a bad move. And most of those top players who can create content are already doing it, on their own blogs. What do we have to give them incentive to do it here instead?

We have a single location where ideas can be shared, critiqued, and molded. If it weren't for DS, I wouldn't be surprised if the WanderingWinders and others of the Dominion world had something like their own corner of the internet where they could share strategy thoughts. Anything is better than the BGG forums. But even better than that is one place where people can come and discuss their favorite game with others who are just as passionate. Even the biggest Netrunner/LCG blogs are going to be niche relative to the whole competitive community, and they're usually not super rife with discussion in my experience.

Right now the Netrunner community seems pretty fragmented across blogs, podcasts, and the BGG forums (where the aforementioned blogs and podcasts may receive brief mentions). I think that this forum has the potential to become a unifying factor for LCG fans, at least to the extent that f.DS has unified Dominion fans.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 05:48:22 pm »

To become a top place for competitive Netrunner discussion the bare minimum is to be better than stimhack.com, and this won't be that easy. That site's best feature is a huge database of tournament winning decks. They also have some strategy articles and a forum frequented by many knowledgeable players. Their downside, at least in my opinion, is forum engine, I can't figure out how to follow it effectively, they're using some strange forum layout.

The main question is: do we have people to get started with content that will bring new people here? I think I could contribute (I feel way better writing about Netrunner than about Dominion), recently I thought about starting a BGG blog on Netrunner, so I may post articles here instead. I think to start we'd need at least 4-5 competitive Netrunner players here willing to contribute.

Davio

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 03:26:17 am »

It's a community effort. So just writing some articles, even if you think you suck, is a good place to start.

I will mostly be focusing on starting up The Lord of the Rings, since I play that often enough and couldn't find any other place that was potentially as helpful.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 04:23:32 am »

I've also been thinking about writing some articles for Netrunner on card evaluation and maybe some other stuff too. Right now I have lots of schoolwork, but I'll post them in a bit. If you link to the articles on Reddit, people will come.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 01:08:13 pm »
+1

All of my gaming friends became obsessed with the Game of Thrones LCG. As a result, I can't really play games with my friends anymore, because they just want to play GoT. And I hate the GoT LCG. It features:

• errata flowing out of every orifice. That CONSTANTLY CHANGES because (see below)
  • not so much "power creep" as "power explosion" that requires constant re-balancing (see above)
  • an insane amount of politics (but I know this is working-as-designed)
  • a strong "I spent more money on cards" component, despite being an LCG (this is due to certain Houses/deck styles containing "must-have" combos split across different packs)
  • far-too complex cards (if you're seeing something for the first time, you'll be constantly leaning across to look at your opponent's cards, learning about 75% of what they do, then walking into horrible traps/mistakes because you forgot that other clause on the card. And there's so many cards this happens all the time. All. The. Time. Even if you've played a lot.)

I admit it is (under some definitions of the term) a well-made game. I might be bitter I have lost all my gaming friends to a LCG.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 01:11:06 pm »

Oh, and cards that amount to "punch your opponent in the face." By which I mean, at any point, your opponent might be sitting on a card that not simply cancels what you did, but kills tons of your characters because of what you did. It encourages either un-fun, hyper-conservative gameplay or reckless strategically-empty non-sense. I mean I'm all for disincentives and complex strategic decisions but this is NOT HOW TO IMPLEMENT THEM IN A GAME.

*deep breath*
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.048 seconds with 21 queries.