Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Lab Assistant  (Read 4314 times)

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
Lab Assistant
« on: April 13, 2014, 12:17:54 pm »

Code: [Select]
Lab Assistant (Action]---(2)
+1 action
Choose one:
+1 card or +1 action
or
get a Potion
or
trash a Potion and +3 cards.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:21:43 pm by gambit05 »

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
Re: Lab Assistant
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 04:18:53 pm »

I don't know if trashing potions -or even returning them to supply- is a good idea, especially if you can gain anoter one so easily.

I think "+2 cards" would be a nice 4th option, but it wouldn't be a lab "assistant". Well, maybe once the Lab assistants are out ? (it was kinda Donald X idea : "Young witch" becomes old after some triggering event in the game...)
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 06:23:54 pm »
+2

I think the card currently gives too many options, that don't really have a connected theme. Like cards such as Pawn give four options (and it's choose 2 so secretly it's six options) but all the options are clearly related, they're the standard pluses. Or Steward gives a bunch of options involving twos. This gives four options, two of which are +1s and two of which are Potion interactions.

I think that, on the KISS principle, it might be worth simply dropping the top two options and keep it as, you may trash a Potion, if you do +3 cards, otherwise gain a Potion. Possibly put the +1 action in with the +3 cards option. That might be a little weak so maybe uh, just discard the potion for the +3 cards? Or increase it to +4 cards maybe?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 10:07:44 pm »
+1

I think that, on the KISS principle, it might be worth simply dropping the top two options and keep it as, you may trash a Potion, if you do +3 cards, otherwise gain a Potion. Possibly put the +1 action in with the +3 cards option. That might be a little weak so maybe uh, just discard the potion for the +3 cards? Or increase it to +4 cards maybe?

That's just Apprentice but only for Potions. And $$ doesnt work because thats just Salvager for Potions. The bonus really needs to be unique if it doesn't have options.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 11:18:58 am »

Many thanks for your suggestions.
How about this version:

Lab Assistant (Action)---(2)
+1 Action
Choose one:
Gain a Potion
or
trash a Potion and +3 Cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 11:42:35 am »

How about this version:

+1 Action
Choose one:
Gain a Potion
or

If this card is in a Kingdom that has no potion-cost cards, it doesn't work at all. Potion is only in the Supply if at least 1 card in the Supply has Potion in the cost (or if Black Market has a Potion-cost card).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 11:45:33 am »

If this card is in a Kingdom that has no potion-cost cards, it doesn't work at all. Potion is only in the Supply if at least 1 card in the Supply has Potion in the cost (or if Black Market has a Potion-cost card).

The idea is obviously that Potions are included when the lab assistant is in the in the Kingdom.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 12:42:21 pm »

How about this version:

+1 Action
Choose one:
Gain a Potion
or

Again, this is just a really bad Apprentice. It can only trash Potions, you have to line them up, and Potions have a relatively small Supply pile to being with. I see that it cost $2, but It may be too much of a liability unless you can guarantee they collide (Because if they miss they are both dead cards. I doubt Ill want to gain more Potions just for this), but then you're probably better off not going for it. And even then it's only a lab because it nets you +1 card (You played Lab Assistant and trashed a Potion.)

Besides all that, which may or may not be correct analysis, it's still just Apprentice with more restrictions. It doesn't really provide a new experience. Not to say thats bad, it can be anything you want it to be. Its your card, but it certainly doesn't compel me.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 01:32:36 pm »

The idea is obviously that Potions are included when the lab assistant is in the in the Kingdom.

You can't guarantee that there will be potions in the kingdom unless you give the card a Potion cost or add some sort of special clause.

Also, as worded, this card does work without potions. You say "and" so you get the bonus whether you trash a Potion or not.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 01:42:00 pm »

You can't guarantee that there will be potions in the kingdom unless you give the card a Potion cost or add some sort of special clause.

Also, as worded, this card does work without potions. You say "and" so you get the bonus whether you trash a Potion or not.

The special clause is that when lab assistant is in the Kingdom then there is a Potion pile.
You are right, bad wording. It should read: If you do, +3 Cards.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 01:43:03 pm by gambit05 »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 01:50:48 pm »

The special clause is that when lab assistant is in the Kingdom then there is a Potion pile.
You are right, bad wording. It should read: If you do, +3 Cards.

You would need to have the bottom of the card say "Setup: In games using this, add Potion to the supply." But it sounds like it would be better to give the card a potion cost. The thing is, if there is no Potion cost cards in the game (and no Apprentice), then there's no difference between "Potion" and "Confusion" in this context. There's no reason for the card to gain and trash Potions; it may as well be gaining and trashing a special card that exists just for this card.

But giving it a potion cost card means that this card helps you get more copies of this card, so you can start by gaining multiple potions and copies of Lab Assistant, then when you are ready, you can switch over to using them as real labs. But I don't know if "Lab" is a strong enough bonus to work that way (it's almost just like playing a Lab when you trash and draw). Perhaps it should have a stronger effect when you trash.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 02:05:21 pm »
+1

You would need to have the bottom of the card say "Setup: In games using this, add Potion to the supply." But it sounds like it would be better to give the card a potion cost. The thing is, if there is no Potion cost cards in the game (and no Apprentice), then there's no difference between "Potion" and "Confusion" in this context. There's no reason for the card to gain and trash Potions; it may as well be gaining and trashing a special card that exists just for this card.

But giving it a potion cost card means that this card helps you get more copies of this card, so you can start by gaining multiple potions and copies of Lab Assistant, then when you are ready, you can switch over to using them as real labs. But I don't know if "Lab" is a strong enough bonus to work that way (it's almost just like playing a Lab when you trash and draw). Perhaps it should have a stronger effect when you trash.

Something like this?

Lab Assistant (Action)---(P)
+1 Action
Choose one:
Gain a Potion
or
trash a Potion. If you do, +4 Cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 02:10:53 pm »
+1

Something like this?

Lab Assistant (Action)---(P)
+1 Action
Choose one:
Gain a Potion
or
trash a Potion. If you do, +4 Cards.

I don't know whether it's balanced or not, but I like the card as a concept a lot now. I think it would often play the way I was describing earlier; first half you use them just to get more of them; then you can start using them to draw large hands. The questions are how different is it with other potion cost cards available vs not; and how strong is it to be able to draw large hands like that?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 02:39:50 pm »

I think it seems pretty weak currently. It might be worth making the Potion gaining into hand. I dunno if that'd be too much, but it's a Potion cost card, I don't think it's too outrageous. It means you can play two of them for +4 cards effectively, but that seems okay, Potion cost cards aren't the easiest thing to amass. Hmm... maybe a strategy going heavily into them would be too good, and run the Potion pile out too rapidly.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 20 queries.