Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Civilization: Beyond Earth  (Read 13567 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Civilization: Beyond Earth
« on: April 12, 2014, 01:54:20 pm »
+3

http://youtu.be/qtYWqE55s24

Well, I, for one, am excited about this!  Looks like a spiritual successor/remake of Alpha Centauri.  And it's coming out in a few months!  Squee!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 02:04:10 pm »

But... But... I already don't have enough time to play Civ!  Dammit, Sid Meier, when are you making a time generator?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 03:43:43 pm »
+1

Alpha Centauri is one of my all time favorite games. It hasn't aged exceptionally well, but there's enough nostalgia for me to still play now and then. I can't tell you how incredibly excited this makes me.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 03:58:15 pm »

As a Civ fan since I was a child, I am super pumped. Never played SMAC but have heard a lot about it, and this looks really awesome.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 12:22:03 pm »
+1

Here's an interview with the development team about the game. They discuss a number of general game mechanics and talk about the influences they drew from various sci-fi works (ender's game, dune, etc).

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/12/civilization-beyond-earth-interview-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-factions-aliens-technology-and-more/

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 12:51:21 pm »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 03:33:14 pm »

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 03:39:58 pm »

Pre-order in the next 20 minutes and get 25% off.

http://www.reddit.com/r/civbeyondearth/comments/2dhzpc/25_off_preorder/

Actually I'm not sure how long that offer will last.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:41:03 pm by jonts26 »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 04:14:01 pm »

http://youtu.be/qtYWqE55s24

Well, I, for one, am excited about this!  Looks like a spiritual successor/remake of Alpha Centauri.  And it's coming out in a few months!  Squee!

They said in some interview that, while AC was an inspiration for the game, this is not a successor/remake of AC. This is more of a civ game than anything else. Judging from the gameplay here, you can see for yourself that it is closer to Civ 5. Actually, some people over in civfanatics.com are complaining that it looks like an elaborate mod/reskin of Civ 5, rather than an AC succesor (disclaimer: I don't have an opinion myself, I never played that game) or Civ 6, both options which they would prefer. Opinions on civfanatics are rather strong one way or another on all topics, so your mileage may vary.

I would really like to play, but man I've got no time for Civ. My laptop has trouble running it, which means that turns take forever even in strategic view. I've got both expansions for Civ 5, and I've only completed one game with each...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:15:05 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 10:57:38 am »
+1

I've got my game pre loaded and ready to go. My weekend is going to disappear.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 11:35:44 am »

I've got my game pre loaded and ready to go. My weekend is going to disappear.

Oh yeah. Same here, I'm currently watching the Firaxis stream and I can't wait to get to play it.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 10:29:06 pm »

31 more minutes!

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 11:17:54 pm »

I've been looking forward to this game, but I doubt I have time for it right now. Too much going on with school and stuff. Of course, I'd consider giving it Hearthstone's timespace.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 04:55:12 pm »

I've downloaded the demo...and it is barely playable. Up to 20 seconds before the game brings up the interface of a unit I clicked on, trade routes disappear whenever there is more than one in the same city, leader screens simply don't work...

I don't know if the demo has been slapped quickly and as such is not optimized at all, but if the complete game is half as laggy as this, I won't be buying it, which is a real shame...

I don't think it is my laptop / graphic card that is too old for the game; it had some trouble running civ V, but nothing out of the ordinary. This is an order of magnitude worse than Civ V, and yet the two games are built on the same engine, so there shouldn't be such a big difference. Anyone has encountered similar problems?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 05:07:10 pm »
+1

I've downloaded the demo...and it is barely playable. Up to 20 seconds before the game brings up the interface of a unit I clicked on, trade routes disappear whenever there is more than one in the same city, leader screens simply don't work...

I don't know if the demo has been slapped quickly and as such is not optimized at all, but if the complete game is half as laggy as this, I won't be buying it, which is a real shame...

I don't think it is my laptop / graphic card that is too old for the game; it had some trouble running civ V, but nothing out of the ordinary. This is an order of magnitude worse than Civ V, and yet the two games are built on the same engine, so there shouldn't be such a big difference. Anyone has encountered similar problems?
Damn, that sucks. I didn't try the demo, but I downloaded the full game and it seems to be running very well for me. I haven't gotten very far, but so far I haven't noticed any real glitches. Maybe there was some point where I was supposed to have 4 food but instead had 0 and I couldn't tell why. That curiosity didn't persist.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 05:07:18 pm »
+1

I've had no such problems, so maybe it's the demo ?

The only known bug so far is that you will get quests you can't complete (asking for buildings in a city that can't build them because they're tied to specific resources) which is annoying but will hopefully be fixed.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 05:08:23 pm by Teproc »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 05:16:17 pm »

Ok, thanks for the info, guys. I still won't be buying it now just in case, but I'll wait for a sale to get it and see.

Did either of you felt that Civ V was slightly slow/unresponsive, or instead perfectly smooth? If you have some sort of beastly computer, the fact that Civ:BE runs fine on it doesn't really tell me much :P

EDIT: I agree a little bit with the people who are clamouring in favour of the return of strategic view, over there in civfanatics, though.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 05:19:51 pm by pacovf »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 05:24:11 pm »
+1

Ok, thanks for the info, guys. I still won't be buying it now just in case, but I'll wait for a sale to get it and see.

Did either of you felt that Civ V was slightly slow/unresponsive, or instead perfectly smooth? If you have some sort of beastly computer, the fact that Civ:BE runs fine on it doesn't really tell me much :P

EDIT: I agree a little bit with the people who are clamouring in favour of the return of strategic view, over there in civfanatics, though.

Actually, I only played up to Civ 4. So, concerns that Civ:BE is too similar to Civ 5 don't matter to me.

My basic computer specs are:
- 64-bit i5 dual core @3 GHz each
- 6 GB ram
- HD Radeon 5670

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 05:36:45 pm »
+1

I know I'm not either one of them, but I figured I'd chime in since I have experienced issues with Civ V.

I play Civ V on my computer which is a pretty solid gaming pc that I got for my birthday in February this year. I can play Skyrim with no trouble on this machine (which would definitely seem much more demanding than Civ V). But I experience slow responsiveness and some grey terrain when moving quickly across the map. My opinion is that the game is just poorly optimized. I've also had it completely crash my computer when I try to alt-tab out. It would be nice to find a good solution to these problems, since it's an incredible game but I don't play it much because of these issues.

My computer specs are:

-intel core i7-4700 MQ
-8 gb ram
-nvidia GForce GT 755
-windows 8.1 64 bit os

PPE: Markusin. You remind me that I actually have civ 4 on a disc somewhere--I think I'll install it again since I'm having so many issues with Civ 5.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 09:54:42 pm »
+1

Yeah the lack of strat view is a little outrageous. I don't use it a lot in CiV but it would be very nice here becuase the UI is not super clear.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 10:10:02 pm »

I googled strategic view. Yeah, that looks like a feature I'd like available.

@Ichimaru did you try and enjoy the Beyond the Sword expansion for Civ 4?

I enjoyed the base game a lot, but felt it lacked content and polish. Also air combat was weird and tanks were OP.

The BtS expansion added the content I was hoping for and improved some of the mechanics. However, their "improvement" of the AI to make them stack their units pretty much ruined the fun for me. In the base game, the AI wasn't very strong in combat, but they'd send multi-pronged attacks and pillage your land. It was cool to have to spread your forces. In the expansion, you just had huge stacks of 20+ units battling it out and it was lame.

I was always hopeful of the change in Civ 5 to remove unit stacking.

Edit: oh yeah, the extra scenarios for Civ 4 are loads of fun. I played through the European scenario and it rocked.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:14:14 pm by markusin »

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 10:26:34 pm »

I googled strategic view. Yeah, that looks like a feature I'd like available.

@Ichimaru did you try and enjoy the Beyond the Sword expansion for Civ 4?

I enjoyed the base game a lot, but felt it lacked content and polish. Also air combat was weird and tanks were OP.

The BtS expansion added the content I was hoping for and improved some of the mechanics. However, their "improvement" of the AI to make them stack their units pretty much ruined the fun for me. In the base game, the AI wasn't very strong in combat, but they'd send multi-pronged attacks and pillage your land. It was cool to have to spread your forces. In the expansion, you just had huge stacks of 20+ units battling it out and it was lame.

I was always hopeful of the change in Civ 5 to remove unit stacking.
I got the gold edition I think and played a lot of Warlords. I have BtS but I never really got the chance to play with it. I'm actually reinstalling the game + expansions as I'm writing this. Civ 4 just made more sense to me on the whole-- and I think it has a considerably better UI. Civ 5 just made so many changes over the previous one, from the amount I've played it, I still haven't caught on. For example, the fact that it has no unit stacking (aside from 1 economic + 1 military) almost fundamentally changes the gameplay in a way I personally don't really care for. The introduction of city-states, create your own religion, and other stuff was nice--but I'm more excited to replay Civ 4 at this point.

Unit stacking probably wasn't a very realistic feature though, and it definitely is less exciting to have huge single stacks attacking each other. The new system is nice in that it kind of forces you to see your whole army and one thing I did like was that they let some units have an actual ranged attack that could cross multiple hexes--that was pretty cool. I would probably give Civ 5 another spin, but I just had too many technical problems with it.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 10:42:22 pm »
+1

Never tried Warlords. What I can say about BtS is that it's sufficiently challenging and deep.

I've even played Civ 2, which I believe was handed down to us by my older cousins. There you had unit stacking, but if the stack was attacked and the top unit was defeated, the ENTIRE stack got wiped out. Pretty comical.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:43:39 pm by markusin »

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 10:53:05 pm »
+1

So I played through a game as Franco-Iberia going Purity with a strong cultural slant. I played on Gemini (4th of 6 difficulty). Overall I really like it. And I don't think it is all that similar to civ5. Or at least, it's about as different from civ5 as civ5 is from civ4. So if you like Civ games in general, I would give this a recommendation.

BE gives an incredible amount of freedom to develop your civ. I don't know if all of the options are balanced, or if one or two really dominant strategies will emerge, but for right now, everything seems wide open. The tech web is incredibly daunting at first. And there are so many paths you can take. You can focus on just about any aspect of your civ through tech. This s further augmented by the quest system. You can take quests to boost one affinity. Most buildings have related quests which let you boost them in one of two ways. The affinities strongly influence the types of units and buildings you can make. And you aren't locked into one affinity. I had enough points in supremacy end game to make use of some of the unique supremacy stuff as well.

The aliens are a nice feature. I ran into some trouble just trying to wipe them out as they turned rather aggressive. I was a little disappointed that they became more or less irrelevant as the game went on.

The biggest problem seems to be the interface. While I do really like the artwork, there is often so little contrast that it makes things hard to see. Also a lot of the screen can get cluttered further exacerbating the problem. In particular, I remember having some trouble easily identifying my borders as the border color sort of blends into the background. And theres a lot of small quality of life improvements they need to make there.

The other problem I ran into is trade route management. I had over 20 trade routes, and it gets to be incredibly tedious to find their old routes again every 20 turns. There's no sort feature either which means I have to manually scroll through to find where it was going last or to find the highest gold or whatever.

One final problem, the AI seemed to be way way too passive. I'll try playing on a higher difficulty to see if that changes, but I don't think half the civs even bothered contacting me more than once or twice all game. And the same bad AI problems seem to persist from Civ5. I went to war once and the AI was just terrible at it. And then she wouldn't negotiate peace even though I was taking down city after city.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 11:07:46 pm »

Damn, that sucks. I didn't try the demo, but I downloaded the full game and it seems to be running very well for me. I haven't gotten very far, but so far I haven't noticed any real glitches. Maybe there was some point where I was supposed to have 4 food but instead had 0 and I couldn't tell why. That curiosity didn't persist.

Oh I figured out the food thing. I was building a Colonist at the time, and all surplus food is used up to build the Colonist.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.