Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: I just got engaged!  (Read 48912 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6119
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: I just got engaged!
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2014, 01:06:17 pm »
+4

It's weird that it's sort of become cool to hate on Facebook now.  People talk dismissively of how they prefer "real" social interaction, implying that Facebook social interaction is somehow "less real" than texting, phone calls, or postcards, or that these things are mutually exclusive somehow. 

Facebook is just a tool, like every other mode of communication.  It is whatever you choose to make of it.  Some things are easier to share with your friends through Facebook than through any other medium.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3387
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2014, 01:32:45 pm »
+2

I use Facebook all day, every single day, but almost always only for work. It's funny, when I hear people say, "Oh, I don't like FB, I don't want to use it." Oh, to have that luxury! I use it almost exclusively to share and promote my articles and media career. In fact, I often feel like the personal details I share are largely in service of the professional goal of advancement and publicity.

I'm sure it's quite annoying for people who friend me on FB because they actually wanted to be my friend.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2014, 01:35:23 pm »

I communicate with friends via f.ds pm's much more often than with email.

Most of my friends aren't on f.Ds.  :'(
Heh, neither are mine of course, but I've literally never received a single email from a friend, so forum pm exchanges are still infinitely more common.

I wholeheartedly agree with theory in facebook being what you make it out to be. It's a great tool for many social interactions, some people suck at it but that's why they have unfriend/hide features.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:37:07 pm by Eevee »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2014, 02:03:23 pm »

I got Facebook when my volunteer group asked me to get one so I can be added to a private Facebook group for communication. Made things way easier. And of course, now I don't need a friend to text me whenever an outing or event is being planned on Facebook.

I don't have that many FB friends, so I'm able to keep up with my news feed daily.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2014, 03:07:48 pm »
+1

I use Facebook all day, every single day, but almost always only for work. It's funny, when I hear people say, "Oh, I don't like FB, I don't want to use it." Oh, to have that luxury! I use it almost exclusively to share and promote my articles and media career. In fact, I often feel like the personal details I share are largely in service of the professional goal of advancement and publicity.

I'm sure it's quite annoying for people who friend me on FB because they actually wanted to be my friend.

As someone who is friends with Robz but stopped following him because of all the news story spam I didn't care to read, I can confirm. Dude was blowing up my facebook.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2014, 03:29:26 pm »

As someone who is friends with Robz but stopped following him because of all the news story spam I didn't care to read, I can confirm. Dude was blowing up my facebook.

I was trying to cultivate separate pages at one point, my regular account and a separate Robby fan page, but it just wasn't working. Sorry!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2014, 03:52:21 pm »
+2

I read your stories pretty often! It's more interesting content than comes from most of my in-person friends.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2014, 04:21:02 pm »
+8

It's weird that it's sort of become cool to hate on Facebook now.  People talk dismissively of how they prefer "real" social interaction, implying that Facebook social interaction is somehow "less real" than texting, phone calls, or postcards, or that these things are mutually exclusive somehow. 

Facebook is just a tool, like every other mode of communication.  It is whatever you choose to make of it.  Some things are easier to share with your friends through Facebook than through any other medium.

2014:  I hate Facebook, it takes all of the interaction out of interacting with people!
2004:  Look, I know you like email, but man, I want to have a real conversation on the phone!  It's not like you're not carrying a phone with you all the time.
1994:  A portable phone?  Really, dude, can't you just use the phone at home like a normal person?
1934:  I hate these telephones.  If you really need to interact with someone at a long distance, can't you send a telegraph?
1894:  Why should you need a telegraph?  Is a written letter not fast enough or good enough for you?
BCE 2004:  Have you seen this writing stuff?  It's ridiculous.  Kids won't be able to remember their oral history anymore with this!
BCE 54004:  Word?  Language?  Grunt not good enough for you?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2014, 04:27:22 pm »

1934:  I hate these telephones.  If you really need to interact with someone at a long distance, can't you send a telegraph?

All others I can believe, but somehow I don't think anyone compared favourably the telegraph to the phone, ever.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2014, 04:29:31 pm »
+2

2014:  I hate Facebook, it takes all of the interaction out of interacting with people!
That is partially true, though, and one of the aspects of Facebook that I like.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6119
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2014, 04:55:05 pm »
+1

I keep Robz on my Facebook and interact with his stories so that they show up more often.  I do this because he is very useful as a way for me to break out of my echo chamber.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2014, 05:38:40 pm »

What are Robz's stories? Are you a journalist?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2014, 05:45:23 pm »

Indeed. I am a staff editor at a libertarian magazine of politics, news, and culture. Previously I was an education reporter for a DC-based national news website. I cover higher education broadly, some K-12 stuff like zero tolerance and Common Core standards, criminal justice reform, and television.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2014, 06:51:05 pm »

Indeed. I am a staff editor at a libertarian magazine of politics, news, and culture. Previously I was an education reporter for a DC-based national news website. I cover higher education broadly, some K-12 stuff like zero tolerance and Common Core standards, criminal justice reform, and television.

Well, that's descriptive, but not actually descriptive enough to find you. Maybe you've mentioned this in other areas of the forum and I just missed it.

How about a link to your best recent article?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 30, 2014, 08:10:02 pm »
+1

His views can be hard to swallow sometimes, but he does have quite a good grasp on the English language.  :P
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2014, 08:25:54 pm »

His views can be hard to swallow sometimes, but he does have quite a good grasp on the English language.  :P

I think that's the highest praise I've ever gotten from you!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2014, 10:53:45 pm »
+2

I am a staff editor at a libertarian magazine of politics, news, and culture.

My condolences to your fiancee.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2014, 11:45:04 pm »
+1

Yeah, I pretty much know every time a kid gets expelled for stupid reasons in a school, everything there is to know about Common Core even though I am not even in USA and whenever cops overuse their authority (though there have been less reports on this recently).

I do often end up reading your articles, Robby :)

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2014, 12:00:29 am »

I do often end up reading your articles, Robby :)

Thank you. That means a lot to me!

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2014, 06:45:57 am »
+3

I agree it is just a tool. A bad one. And it is NOT whatever you choose to make of it. It is whatever you choose out of the options a single company chooses to give you. At least phone and email are a bit decentralized. If Google decides to stop providing me with an email service I like, I can switch to another company (or even host one myself) and keep communicating with the same set of people without interruption, even if they continue to like their current service. Switching away from facebook requires everyone you want to communicate with to make the same change, which is something unlikely to happen. Facebook basically keeps everyone hostage.

EDIT: It is that monopolistic-y situation that enables Facebook's horrifying practices, like selling your data.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:48:26 am by soulnet »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2014, 08:58:01 am »
+1

I agree it is just a tool. A bad one. And it is NOT whatever you choose to make of it. It is whatever you choose out of the options a single company chooses to give you. At least phone and email are a bit decentralized. If Google decides to stop providing me with an email service I like, I can switch to another company (or even host one myself) and keep communicating with the same set of people without interruption, even if they continue to like their current service. Switching away from facebook requires everyone you want to communicate with to make the same change, which is something unlikely to happen. Facebook basically keeps everyone hostage.

EDIT: It is that monopolistic-y situation that enables Facebook's horrifying practices, like selling your data.
Technologies come with inherent biases on how they should be used. You can say a car is a tool and that it is what you make of it, but in practice it doesn't work out that way. It doesn't make much sense to have a car just to drive somewhere that is three houses away or to use it as big stool. The car has had a net effect of making stretching the distance of everything. Our towns and cities would not have been built the way were (large and spaced out) if cars weren't so ubiquitous.

Similarly, the way Facebook is presented, with its interface and its options, influence how it will be used. I remember when the privacy options were not made obvious to users. Also, "tldr" has mostly been replaced by link-bait with rather uninformative headers.

Clearly, Facebook is not conducive to the kinds of intense discussions we have on forums like f.ds.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2014, 09:22:37 am »
+1

On a side note, the respect system we have here at f.ds has made me apathetic to Facebook "likes". Why should I care about something that doesn't accumulate and whose total is not shown next to my avatar or something? It's a good thing likes aren't recorded that way, actually. One less thing for people to obsess about.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2014, 09:32:18 am »

On a side note, the respect system we have here at f.ds has made me apathetic to Facebook "likes". Why should I care about something that doesn't accumulate and whose total is not shown next to my avatar or something? It's a good thing likes aren't recorded that way, actually. One less thing for people to obsess about.

I think +1s here are overrated as an accumulated measure, especially when most of it comes from memes. I would prefer to not have accumulated respect showing next to the avatar, so +1s can serve for saying "I agree" in a concise manner. In a forum I used to participate in, and admin specifically say they avoided giving stats about how many +1s (or -1s, which said forum had) a given user had, precisely to avoid +1s becoming an evaluation of a user instead of a post.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.