Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: I just got engaged!  (Read 49005 times)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Re: I just got engaged!
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2014, 12:08:40 am »
+5

Wait... you guys have friends?
Sometimes, I talk to my stuffed Scout. Does that count?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2014, 01:04:31 am »
+4

Wait... you guys have friends?
Sometimes, I talk to my stuffed Scout. Does that count?

OH MY GOODNESS WE NEED TO MAKE THESE
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2014, 06:30:24 am »
+1

Ugh, glad I'm not on Facebook!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2014, 09:49:25 am »
+2

I would friend you, but I wouldn't want to have to choose between posting stuff that you can't understand and stuff that my mom can't understand.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2014, 01:50:07 pm »

I don't have anyone from F.DS on my Facebook.

Including Joseph2302, and I intend to keep it that way (he's actually on my block list)
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2014, 02:22:06 pm »

I would friend you, but I wouldn't want to have to choose between posting stuff that you can't understand and stuff that my mom can't understand.

That's not a choice.....
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2014, 01:32:29 am »

awaclus, you actually use facebook? I was under the impression you were an anarchist.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2014, 05:58:08 am »

awaclus, you actually use facebook? I was under the impression you were an anarchist.
My sisters managed to convince me to join when I was 13. I've been regretting it for years, but quitting now wouldn't be of much help.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2014, 10:56:33 am »
+7

He had to join to "Like" the Anarchy page.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2014, 01:23:54 pm »

My sisters managed to convince me to join when I was 13. I've been regretting it for years, but quitting now wouldn't be of much help.
there is actually a way to delete your facebook account - it's complicated though. interested?

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2014, 01:44:21 pm »

I deleted my facebook account when I was 14. It's definitely saved me a lot of time that I would have wasted.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2014, 01:54:43 pm »
+2

It's irritating being friends with someone who doesn't have a facebook account or whatsapp. Organizing anything for them or including them in activities becomes so much more tedious when some people choose to opt out of avenues of contacting groups of people with one shot.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2014, 05:46:29 pm »

What? Aren't phones a thing?
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2014, 05:51:38 pm »

It's irritating being friends with someone who doesn't have a facebook account or whatsapp. Organizing anything for them or including them in activities becomes so much more tedious when some people choose to opt out of avenues of contacting groups of people with one shot.
uh. eh. *several sounds of disagreement*. there are emails which you can send to several people, if you would just use that instead of crud like facebook you wouldn't have such problems in the first palce

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2014, 05:54:46 pm »
+3

uh. eh. *several sounds of disagreement*. there are emails which you can send to several people, if you would just use that instead of crud like facebook you wouldn't have such problems in the first palce

Realtalk: (Confession?) It's strange and disorienting to receive emails from friends or really anyone my age unless I am expecting one. As convenient and relatively young as the technology is, it is pretty outmoded among the young people I've talked to.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2014, 06:03:24 pm »

Realtalk: (Confession?) It's strange and disorienting to receive emails from friends or really anyone my age unless I am expecting one. As convenient and relatively young as the technology is, it is pretty outmoded among the young people I've talked to.

How is it strange? It's just another way of communicating. That's like saying texting or calling is strange.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2014, 06:21:04 pm »

How is it strange? It's just another way of communicating. That's like saying texting or calling is strange.

There's nothing inherently strange about email, it's just strange because it's unusual and unexpected. Kind of like how it'd be strange if my boss texted me about a new company policy rather than emailing. It's just about different expected communication channels for different contexts. I'm completely used to sending and receiving emails in a professional (or when I was a student, academic) context, but outside of that and a dozen assorted websites who email me from time to time, it's not the norm for me.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2014, 11:18:19 pm »

I almost never used email to communicate with friends while I was in college. I use it a bit more now, but I definitely agree with Dsell -- I would be a little taken aback if a friend send me an email rather than a facebook message. Not that it's a bad thing to use email, it's just not what anyone I know used.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2014, 05:06:08 am »

I almost never used email to communicate with friends while I was in college. I use it a bit more now, but I definitely agree with Dsell -- I would be a little taken aback if a friend send me an email rather than a facebook message. Not that it's a bad thing to use email, it's just not what anyone I know used.
This is true for me as well. So much so that I actually check my mail like twice a month these days - there's just never anything urgent in there. I communicate with friends via f.ds pm's much more often than with email.

Say I wake up at 10, notice it's a rare sunny day outside and think to myself "man, it would be fun to go play sports with friends". In the age of whatsapp and facebook, I just make a quick post declaring this in our "summer sports" whatsapp group, all 20 of my potentially interested friends see it instantly and respond whether they can make it or not, and if 8 or more can, we probably go and play before noon, which almost always is the case. Same goes for viewing parties for World Cup (trying to find a bar where a group bigger than five can fit is often cumbersome and requires some coordination), or organizing a house party, or really any number of more or less time-sensitive events where you invite more than a couple of people. It's just really inefficient to call everyone separately to ask if they want to come, and then call them back every time the plan changes even slightly.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2014, 05:34:47 am »

well im not all that social anyway. but i dislike the way facebook works, i dislike the name, and i have never used whatsapp. I prefer steam/skype if possible, otherwise i use mails.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2014, 05:53:38 am »

whatsapp is just an improved version of text messaging really. it's free (almost everyone has a data plan on their phone these days) and allows creating groups and messaging multiple people at once.

i understand not wanting to use facebook's main functions, but it's quite handy for organizing events for example. I have a couple of friends who are there under a pseudonym only to receive invites/to partake in planning things.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2014, 10:11:12 am »
+2

There's definitely a trend with people I know using facebook's core functionality much less than we used to. While I still use it for event organizing, pictures, and occasionally chat, I barely write on anyone's wall anymore -- everyone I know uses their wall much less than when facebook was getting started. This is resulting in less social media use overall, rather than a shift to a different medium -- people I know use facebook/social media significantly less than we did 1-2 years ago. Funnily enough, this coincided with everyone's parents getting on facebook.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2014, 12:15:44 pm »

I communicate with friends via f.ds pm's much more often than with email.

Most of my friends aren't on f.ds.   :'(

But continuing the off-topic conversation that has nothing to do with anyone getting engaged:  I use facebook almost exclusively to communicate events and group messages to certain groups of friends.  I don't even know most of my friend's email addresses, but sending them a quick PM on facebook is extremely convenient.  I only have 5 actual "status updates" this year.  And I don't do facebook games.  Dominion is enough for me.  (and I have been dabbling with Hearthstone a bit recently)
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2014, 12:27:04 pm »

I deleted my facebook account when I was 14. It's definitely saved me a lot of time that I would have wasted.

Man, when I was 14, Mark Zuckerberg was still reading Dr. Suess.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2014, 12:53:45 pm »
+2

The main reason I have a Facebook is because its much easier to stay connected with people. Instead of trying to collect everyone's phone number, I can just friend them on Facebook and send them a message. It also makes it much easier to organize things (though ironically, most of my closer friends don't even have an account).

I used to update my status every week or so, but I now I only post pictures of memorable events or the occasional one-liner. I think my reduced posting has to do with the increase of my time spent on f.ds. Which is a good thing, I think. Being a part of a community like this is much more enjoyable than aimisly scrolling down my newsfeed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.