Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Exception to the rule, part 4  (Read 3410 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Exception to the rule, part 4
« on: December 03, 2011, 01:40:13 pm »

You play Oracle and your opponent reveals an Estate and a Tunnel.  When would you discard that instead of leaving it on top?

There's all sorts of convoluted answers for this, but I can think of one fairly likely, not-implausible reason.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Exception to the rule, part 4
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 02:34:21 pm »
+1

Not sure if this counts or is even what you're looking for, but you're playing your opponent's turn with Possession, play Oracle from your opponent's hand, reveal Estate and Tunnel, and discard them, gaining a Gold for yourself.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 02:40:16 pm »

Not sure if this counts or is even what you're looking for, but you're playing your opponent's turn with Possession, play Oracle from your opponent's hand, reveal Estate and Tunnel, and discard them, gaining a Gold for yourself.
Not what I was looking for, but it definitely counts.

jimjam

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 03:21:08 pm »

Various degrees of convolution:

-You want to empty the Gold pile for some reason
-They're playing some actions engine and you want to gum up their deck (probably counts as convoluted since they'd probably have to have gotten the Tunnel from Masquerade)
They don't have to reveal
-You're about to possess them near the end of the game, and they probably have +cards in their hand.
-They're running Wishing Well and have a lot of discard, so you figure they'll probably be able to discard it on their turn anyway, and you want to deny a free +2 cards.
-You know they have Witch in hand and those are the last two cards in the draw, or some other cycling situation.
-You know they have Crossroads (and some other draw or more Crossroads) in hand
-You know they have Scout and discard in hand.
-It's a 3 player game and you want to help them since you're ahead and they're doing the worst, to solidify your lead in Provinces/Colonies
-You're pretty much screwing them with pirate ship and trashing most of their golds. Similarly, with Thief/Noble Brigand
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 03:35:51 pm by jimjam »

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 03:46:15 pm »

You don't want to draw cards off of the tribute in your hand(maybe you already drew your deck or something).

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 05:28:40 pm »

A generalised case that you've played possession and you want a better draw on your possessed turn.

You're going to play a saboteur and you want to hit something better than the tunnel, plus some other more contrived highway-golem-oracle-saboteur scenarios.

After playing a king's court x bureaucrat you know that your opponent has exactly a wishing well, warehouse, and crossroads left in hand.

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 10:23:32 am »

It's nearing the end of the game, they are far from a reshuffle, and you know that they are playing a baron strategy and have non-terminal draws available to them (especially if you've played cutpurse).

WrathOfGlod

• Navigator
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 11:47:52 am »

They are playing some Scout-Crossroads-Secret Chamber engine.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 11:49:21 am »

My answer: There are exactly two cards in their deck, none in the discard, and Noble Brigand is available to purchase.  By discarding those, there's a good chance he'll instinctively grab the gold and you can nab it with a $4 buy.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 12:47:34 pm »

My answer: There are exactly two cards in their deck, none in the discard, and Noble Brigand is available to purchase.  By discarding those, there's a good chance he'll instinctively grab the gold and you can nab it with a $4 buy.
I don't think that's going to be a very good idea very often... You're brigand is likely to hit their tunnel again, giving them ANOTHER gold, so you end up with: a 1/3 chance of you having a gold and them not; a 1/3 chance of each of you having a gold, and a 1/3 chance of your opponent having 2 golds (and a copper). And you had to buy a noble brigand to do this. Eh, I guess you do it sometimes, but seems pretty convoluted.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 01:06:52 pm »

I don't think that's going to be a very good idea very often... You're brigand is likely to hit their tunnel again, giving them ANOTHER gold, so you end up with: a 1/3 chance of you having a gold and them not; a 1/3 chance of each of you having a gold, and a 1/3 chance of your opponent having 2 golds (and a copper). And you had to buy a noble brigand to do this. Eh, I guess you do it sometimes, but seems pretty convoluted.
Well, Noble Brigand reveals 2 cards.  So you're guaranteed to hit the Gold.  It's a 1/3 chance of you with a Gold and him not, and a 2/3 chance of both of you gaining a Gold.  Better than the alternative, which is no Gold for either side.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 01:37:31 pm »
+1

You're not guaranteed to hit the Gold because the NB could just reveal the Tunnel and the Estate again...

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 02:15:28 pm »
+4

Wow I'm dumb.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.