Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Opinions on the VP counter?  (Read 16790 times)

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on the VP counter?
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2014, 08:26:35 am »

I like the term "Cyborg-Dominion".

I like it, too :).

I adopted the term from the chess variant where people can use any computer tools they wish.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2014, 02:37:05 pm »

I used to prefer #vpoff, because I liked the extra thought involved in keeping track of what's where. But then I stopped playing so much and played more vs the computer, and didn't really feel like paying as much attention to each game, so now I like #vpon.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2014, 04:39:35 pm »

I used to prefer #vpoff, because I liked the extra thought involved in keeping track of what's where.
Is it thought though?  Matter of opinion, and we certainly don't want to derail the thread into the very nature of thought :)  But I make a distinction between "thought" and "busy work," and for me the line is about the same in work and in play.  When I have to do arithmetic at work, I don't do it by hand, that's what calculators, Excel and other tools are for.  When I play Dominion online, I can know the exact score at any time with enough busy work; just read the log and tally the relevant cards gained or trashed.  But I typically don't do that by hand, that's what the VP counter is for.  Ultimately I think the log makes online Dominion and offline Dominion two distinct and different games, but to me that's fine. 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2014, 02:17:28 am »

Just thought I'd remind the #vpoff crowd, if you put a special character in your name your points can't be tracked anyways...
I was reminded of it while playing against 'Goko took my $$'

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2014, 02:38:39 am »

In Dominion Online currently, there is no memory component to VP counting because the log of the entire game is available at all times. It's only an exercise in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

Some would argue that the log should be truncated. If it were then we could have the memory arguments all over again!

isotropic log was truncated, but i think there was an extension that untruncated it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.