Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 74  All

Author Topic: M43: Monsters University Mafia (SK (Delirious Deleuze) Wins!)  (Read 243266 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile

Welcome to MXLIII: Monsters University Mafia!

Mods: ashersky, ??? (back-up)

This game will use an original, semi-closed setup (see Post 2).

Players:
1.  yuma, Town Desperado - Killed on Night 1.
2.  Robz888, 3-Shot Role Cop and Coroner - Killed on Night 2.
3.  chairs - James P. Sullivan, the Innocent Mason - Killed on Night 3.
4.  mail-mi, a Vanilla Monster - Lynched on Day 4.
5.  witherweaver, Human Child Nexus - Killed on Night 3.
6.  Delirious Deleuze
7.  Faust
8.  jotheonah, a Vanilla Monster - Lynched on Day 1.
9.  Teproc, Human Child Janitor - Lynched on Day 2.
10.  AndrewisFTTW, a Vanilla Monster - Killed on Night 4.
11.  EFHW - Mike Wazowski
12.  Axxle
13.  ADK, a Vanilla Monster - Killed on Night 2.
14.  Archetype

Scare Games Winners!
Night 0: Roar Omega Roar - Randall Boggs's Can O' Sweat!
Night 1: Roar Omega Roar - Faulty Scream Can!
Night 2: Oozma Kappa - Decommissioned Door!
Night 3: Python Nu Kappa - Archie the Scare Pig!

Spectators Tagged: Jimmmmm, 2.7, Voltaire

Day starts/ends:
D1: Start | End
D2: Start | End
D3: Start | End
D4: Start | End
D5: Start

ashersky's Mafia Ruleset

The Golden Rule:
This is a game.  Everyone who signs up to play must be considerate of each other, never get personal, and focus on having fun.  Once the game starts, having signed up is a commitment: inactivity is just as inconsiderate as rude comments.  Read The Civility Pledge before signing up for this game.  If you have not /pledged there, you cannot play here.

The Standard Rules:
1.  No communication between players outside of the game thread or QTs at any time.  This includes passing references, jokes, or cases in other games or threads.
2.  If the game thread or QT is locked, do not post.  If you are unsure if something is locked, ask the mod by PM.
3.  Direct or verbatim quoting of mod-provided information is strictly forbidden.  Paraphrasing is okay.
4.  Town night actions must be submitted by PM to the mod within 24 hours of day's end.  The most recent order will always be valid.
5.  Scum night actions must be submitted in QT within 24 hours of day's end.  Any team member may submit all night actions.  The most recent order(s) will always be valid.
6.  Players must post once every 24 hours.
7.  Do not edit or delete posts, ever.  If you need to clarify or correct something, post again.
8.  Invisible text, font size less than 8, and spoiler tags are not allowed.
9.  Cryptography is not allowed.
10.  The time between a lynch being reached and a flip being provided is called twilight.  All players may continue posting during this time, including the lynched player.
11.  Dead players may not post in thread or QT.  A lynched player is not "dead" until a flip has been provided.

The Voting Rules:
1.  Votes should be in this format: Vote: Playername.  Unambigiuous nicknames are acceptable.
2.  Unvotes should be in this format: unvote or Unvote: Playername.
3.  Unvotes are not required if changing your vote from one player to another.
4.  You may vote: no lynch if you prefer.
5.  Lynches occur when a simple majority (rounded up) of living players is reached.  Once reached, a lynch cannot be undone.

The Deadlines:
1.  Days will last seven consecutive 24-hour periods.
2.  Nights will last two consecutive 24-hour periods.
3.  Adjustments may be made to ensure days do not start or end on a Friday or Saturday. 

The Rest:
1.  Bold, maroon (or blue) text is reserved for the Mod(s).  Players may not use them.
2.  If you have an issue or problem with the game, please PM the Mod.  Do not post complaints in the game thread.
3.  Mods make mistakes - please point them out gently.  If they can be corrected, they will.  If irreversible, they will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
4.  If a mod error disadvantages one faction greatly, the game may be called off.
5.  Bold all in-thread Mod questions and requests so that they don’t get missed.
6.  Prods of inactive players will be issued automatically after 48 hours.  A prodded player has 12 hours to respond or risks replacement.
7.  Players may request a prod after 24 hours without a post.
8.  A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to replacement without further notice.
9.  In reference to 6-8, "inactive" is defined as not having posted in the game thread AND not having provided notice in the VLA Thread.
10.  All rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, as determined by the mod.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 12:01:33 am by ashersky »
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: MXLIII: Monsters University Mafia (Sign-ups Soft Open)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 09:23:41 pm »

Welcome to Monsters University Mafia! This is a semi-closed, regular game for 14 players. Some information is public, most is not. This post will detail everything that is known to all players.

The number of factions and the number of players in any given faction is unknown.
The general setup is unknown.
Vanilla Townies are known as Vanilla Monsters in this game.
The Mafia are known as Human Children in this game.
The Town win condition is "You win when all threats to the University have been expelled."

If you are reading this, you are already playing the game. Luckily, you haven't yet lost. There are three Greek houses (neighborhoods) currently recruiting on campus. These are Roar Omega Roar, Oozma Kappa, and Python Nu Kappa. These fraternities and sorority are not aligned with any faction. The entire pre-game period, including /in posts and subsequent discussion, until the thread locks is Rush Week.

There are many reasons one might be recruited to a Greek organization. Maybe you are a fantastic scarer. Perhaps you have an encyclopedic knowledge of scare tactics. Here are a few things Rush Chairs are definitely looking for: Pixar (and especially Monsters Inc./University) knowledge, geography and history skills, Dominion ability, and debate club experience. If you want to get into a fraternity or sorority, start selling yourself!

During Night 0, the Rush Chairs will draft players to join their respective organizations. The methodology is secret, but fair. Each night, including Night 0, the fraternities and sorority will compete in the Scare Games! The games are a mystery, but the prizes aren't! They include:

A Randall Boggs's Can 'O Sweat!
A Faulty Scream Can!
A Decomissioned Door!
Archie the Scare Pig!

You may or may not be told what these prizes do before they are awarded. They may or may not have detrimental effects for any given faction, though, so you probably want to win.

All other game play will be the same as my other mafia games. As mentioned, this is a Tribute game, so you should expect to recognize aspects of a number of other games from f.ds throughout this experience.

Thanks for joining!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 06:44:58 pm by ashersky »

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:04:36 pm »

/confirming my auto-in

now to read the setup!

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 10:11:12 pm »

I have seen:
Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Car, WALL-E, Up, Toy Story 3 and Monsters University. The Incredibles was my favorite.

I won third place in my fifth grade geography bee! And have watched over 50% of the episodes of Carmen Sandiego (my wife dressed up as her two Halloweens ago... I was Waldo).

I own Base, Intrigue, Cornucopia, Hinterlands and Dark Ages. Highest I ever got on iso was level 38.

And you all know I could debate you to the ground! Boom!

Pick me for your frat!

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 10:13:58 pm »

I have also heard that Robz has never seen a Pixar film (except for Cars 2, which he loves...), doesn't know the capital of Bangladesh (its Dhaka) and obviously is pretty terrible at Dominion (Young Nick told me that he cheats when playing in RL)...

I wouldn't pick him if it were a choice between him and Boy Scout Russell (that is an Up reference BTW...)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 11:31:55 pm »

/in
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 11:39:13 pm »

I was a history minor at the University of Michigan, the Harvard of the West. I specialized in medieval European History and Three Kingdoms-era China. My geography is as steady as the Taishan Mountains, as Zhuge Liang would say.

I own all Dominion sets (minus Promos), and am one of the better players in the world. I have been as high as sixth on the Goko Leaderboard, and routinely place in the top 20 on Isotropish.

My debate skills are quite good. In fact, as a journalist, I am paid to convince people that I am right.

I have also heard that Robz has never seen a Pixar film (except for Cars 2, which he loves...)

Just a total distortion. I have seen (and loved) all three Toy Story movies. I loved Up. I thought Wall-E was a tad overrated but still good. I haven't seen any of the others, including Cars or Cars 2.

This is true though:

I have also heard that Robz has never seen a Pixar film (except for Cars 2, which he loves...), doesn't know the capital of Bangladesh (its Dhaka) and obviously is pretty terrible at Dominion (Young Nick told me that he cheats when playing in RL)...

I wouldn't pick him if it were a choice between him and Boy Scout Russell (that is an Up reference BTW...)

So I have that going for me, too.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 11:58:44 pm »

/tag

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 04:02:09 pm »

Oh hell, /in.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 04:42:27 pm »

/in

My skillset to come later.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 06:36:33 pm »

/in

My skillset to come later.
I have memorized the story line of every Pixar movie ever.

I'll confess that I'm not that proficient in geography, but I do have a pretty good knowledge in both it and history.

I'm also an average Dominion player, not the best but not horrible either.

I'll just say that I may not be the best mafia player, but when I'm into it, better watch out.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 06:46:58 pm »

Skillset:

I am a collection of chairs.  I mesh well with Tables.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 05:46:32 pm »

\in

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 01:42:55 pm »

Yuma has obviously never seen Up, otherwise he would know that it is Wilderness Explorer Russell, and not Boy Scout Russell.  The similarities are there, but the distinction is clear.  Russell is a Wilderness Explorer who is working on his final merit badge for assisting the elderly when he meets Carl.

Would you really want someone with that kind of spotty Pixar knowledge in your Greek house?  I doubt it.

oh, and /tag. 
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 03:58:19 pm »

/tag

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: MXLIII: Monsters University Mafia (Sign-ups Open)
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 03:26:35 am »

This can start in a week if it fills...

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 12:58:22 pm »

/in
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 01:31:58 pm »

Oh hi! Thank you for considering me as a potential member of your frat. You'll find that I am more than qualified for the position as I am quite an avid fan of Pixar, I have an extensive knowledge of geography and history, I am an excellent Dominion player, and though I have no official debating experience, I will unofficially debate the shit out of you. Well, not you personally but rather everyone else.

I have seen all the Toy Storys, A Bug's Life, The Incredibles, WALL-E, and Up. Yes, Monsters Inc and Monsters University are glaring omissions but rest assured, this can (and will) be quickly remedied.

History has always been an important part of my life. Probably the biggest reason for this is that my father is an historian and has been employed at the National Archives in Washington DC for as long as I've been alive. Geography specifically is a subject I am always studying. As a touring musician, I have traveled all across the United States and have spent time studying maps, reading books, and watching documentaries of various histories of the peoples inhabiting this incredible planet.

I haven't been playing Dominion very long but I have learned a good amount in the time I have been a member of this forum. My rating may not reflect my Dominion prowess due to a number of mindless late night games in which I don't seriously spend time thinking through a specific strategy and thus executing the proper techniques. However, I can compete with the best players when I focus my mind and properly think through a relevant strategy. As evidence, I have a .500 win percentage versus WanderingWinder (1 win, 1 loss).

As mentioned above, my debating experience is minimal. I will, however, point you to previous mafia games I have been involved in, as I believe I have successfully debated with those considered to be among the best in the business.

I'm sure you will find my experience quite satisfactory and that you will consider me more than qualified for this frat position. I would also be remiss to not mention that although you cannot see it, I assure you I am dressed better than any of your other applicants. I am also wearing a watch just to subtly demonstrate my punctuality.

References

yuma
Jimmmmm
Voltaire

Thank you for your time.

Delirious Deleuze

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 07:07:08 pm »

/in

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 07:22:57 pm »

/out until I get this phone shit figured out.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 11:23:23 pm »

This needs to fill now, guys.  It'll be awesome.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 02:21:30 am »

Alright, /in

I don't really like selling myself, but whatever, let's get on with it.

First, it should be obvious that I'm the best Dominion player in this mafia community because I'm the only one among you all that made it to the playoffs of GokoDom III. So there's little point in choosing anyone but me, I would think.

Regarding Pixar, I prefer the older movies. I have seen all Toy Stories (the first two can really get me nostalgic), A Bug's Life, Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo and Wall-E. I can bring in specific knowledge of the German synchros, which are really lovingly made. Seriously, I encourage all of who who can speak German to try the German versions of the Pixar movies. Finding Nemo in particular I found much more enjoyable in the German synchro.

I was always fond of historical knowlegde, and naturally, I bring in a much more detailed view on European history than most of you. Even though I never learned history on a University level, I'm confident I could beat Robz in knowledge of Medieval European History. Also, well, you know I'm from Germany. We are probably the country that suffers critically reflects their own past most, considering the horrible deeds that were committed here 75 years past.

As far as geography goes, I know my share. I might not be able to name all 50 states of the US from memory, but I can list all 28 member states of the European Union. So you'll find I can complement your US-centered view pretty well.

I am studying mathematics on a graduate level. The core of mathematics really is thinking logically, and that's also a key skill in debating. Plus, journalism is a hobby of mine; even though I never pursued this professionally, I got as far as publishing an article in one of the major German newspapers (the "taz"). So this helped my debating skills as well.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 01:07:02 am »

Rush Week at Monsters University was well under way, with all the various fraternities and sororities competing for the best freshman monsters.  Tons of hopeful monsters were visiting booths, open houses, and crazy parties to see which organization was for them.  The scene was crazy!

The entire campus was buzzing about the upcoming Scare Games, too.  Rumors were that there were three houses with the best chances of winning: Roar Omega Roar, Oozma Kappa, and Python Nu Kappa.  What lucky freshmen would be pledging there?

Another rumor swirling around campus was that two of the most famous almost-alums would be visiting for this year's Games...could it be true?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 01:07:37 am »

PMs, QTs, everything is good to go.  Other games are winding down, too.  Let's rock this thing!

Delirious Deleuze

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
Re: MXLIII: Monsters University Mafia (Sign-ups Open - 7 Slots Left)
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 06:58:46 pm »

Hi there! I'm Delirious Deleuze, but my mafia friends (and the scum) call me DD for short!

I'm not very good at selling myself, but I know a lot about Disney and Pixar. I've seen most movies a few times. I saw Monsters University just this year while on a play from California to Chicago!

I'm okay at dominion. I'm around 4000 points right now, but I don't play often. Faust is definitely better than me.

I'm fairly knowledgeable in history. I know a lot about post-medieval European history. You want to talk about the Burgundy empire, I got you.

As far as debate goes, although, I got you all beat. I did policy debate in high school and won state while competing nationally. I now coach for one of the top teams in the country. Here's a video of me in finals. I'm the fourth speaker.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 19 queries.