Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Blackmailer: Inspired by Councilman from the Guilds contest  (Read 3875 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
Blackmailer: Inspired by Councilman from the Guilds contest
« on: April 08, 2014, 05:16:04 am »

This is loosely based on the Councilman card from the Guilds contest. It's my attempt at using the 'underpay' mechanic. (I was going to wait until the guilds contest was finished to post this, but I don't know if that's going to happen.)

Blackmailer
$8-  Action - Attack
+1 Card, +1 Action.
Each other player must discard a treasure or gain a ruins. If anyone discarded a treasure, gain a coin token. Otherwise, +1 Card.
 -
You may underpay for this card. For each $1 you underpaid, each other player takes a Coin token.

older version:
Blackmailer
$8-  Action - Attack
+1 Card, +1 Action.
Each other player must either gain a ruins or pay by discarding a treasure or losing a coin token. If anyone gained a ruins, +1 card. Otherwise, gain a coin token.
-----
You may underpay for this card. For each $1 you underpaid, each other player takes a Coin token.

This uses mechanics from two different expansions (coin tokens and ruins), but I'm okay with that.  Do you think this would work & be balanced?  Any ideas on how to make it less wordy?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 02:33:45 am by LibraryAdventurer »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
Re: Blackmailer: Inspired by Councilman from the Guilds contest
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 02:03:34 am »

I just tested this card (with improved wording, but the effect is almost the same), and it seemed to work well. Of course I've only played two games with it so far, but so far I like it.

The new wording for the attack part is "Each other player must either discard a treasure or gain a ruins."

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 09:51:50 am »
+1

The new wording for the attack part is "Each other player must either discard a treasure or gain a ruins."
You might want to go with "Each other player may discard a treasure. If he does not, he gains a ruins.", so as to avoid arguments about whether one can choose to discard a treasure when one has no treasures in hand.

EDIT: Also, the card's type should be Action-Attack-Looter. It's a pretty worthless attack if Ruins are not guaranteed to be in the game.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 04:59:43 pm »

I think the underpay mechanic is really neat! You will need to clarify (either in rules on the card) that you must pay at least $0. Although you might want to just set a minimum cost anyway.

As for the attack, I think it would be better if it were just a fixed attack; not giving the opponents a choice of how to be attacked, combined with the fact that one choice helps you more than the other. That's political in multiplayer, as the first 2 opponents can leave it up to the third opponent to stop you from getting the extra card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 05:03:27 pm »

Could be worded as an overpay:

Cost: 0+

When you gain this, each other player gains 8 coin tokens.
You may overpay for this. If you do, each player loses coin tokens equal to the amount you overpaid, to a maximum of 8.

Not sure if that is better though.

I also think that people will almost always discard a treasure.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 05:04:59 pm by liopoil »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 05:06:05 pm »

You may overpay for this. If you do, each player loses coin tokens equal to the amount you overpaid, to a maximum of 8.

That won't work actually... the overpay effect happens before the gain effect; which means that they would try to lose the coins before they gain them.

And if it were changed to "when you buy this"... I'm honestly not sure how that would work. Do "overpay" effects happen before "when you buy" effects?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 05:55:08 pm »

That won't work actually... the overpay effect happens before the gain effect; which means that they would try to lose the coins before they gain them.

And if it were changed to "when you buy this"... I'm honestly not sure how that would work. Do "overpay" effects happen before "when you buy" effects?

IIRC, Overpay is itself a "when you buy" effect, so you would choose which part happens first.  You should have them gain first, of course... unless you are directing a possessed opponent.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 01:26:53 am »
+1

IIRC, Overpay is itself a "when you buy" effect, so you would choose which part happens first.  You should have them gain first, of course... unless you are directing a possessed opponent.

Makes sense, but I don't like that that version of the card would require players to figure out the "correct" order to do the effect that the card obviously intends to happen. The ability to be able to choose to give players a bunch of coin tokens isn't something that should be there.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.