Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Empty Black Market Deck. Can I still play Treasures?  (Read 5708 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Empty Black Market Deck. Can I still play Treasures?
« on: April 07, 2014, 01:56:21 pm »

If the Black Market deck is empty, will it still let me play Treasure cards?  I'd guess yes.
Well you *do* need a signature...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Empty Black Market Deck. Can I still play Treasures?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 01:57:52 pm »
+4

If the Black Market deck is empty, will it still let me play Treasure cards?  I'd guess yes.

I don't see why not.

This is Black Market's biggest failing, though. It's not that it lets you buy something during the Action phase, nor even that you can play Treasures during your Action phase. It's that it DOESN'T TELL YOU that you can play Treasures on the card itself.

Rant over.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:03:15 pm by LastFootnote »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 02:05:39 pm »

I don't see why not.

This is Black Market's biggest failing, though. It's not that it lets you buy something during the Action phase, nor even that you can play Treasures during your Action phase. It's that it DOESN'T TELL YOU that you can play Treasures on the card itself.

Rant over.

eh.  yeah, it's less than ideal.  but it is a wonky, wordy card with a relatively simple idea.  it is a promo card, so mostly the people playing with it are relatively hardcore dominion fans, I'd wager.  I'd rather it exist as is than not exist at all.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 02:07:08 pm »

I don't see why not.

Rant over.

eh.  yeah, it's less than ideal.  but it is a wonky, wordy card with a relatively simple idea.  it is a promo card, so mostly the people playing with it are relatively hardcore dominion fans, I'd wager.  I'd rather it exist as is than not exist at all.

Except for the fact that it's now included with the Base Set when you buy the Special Edition of Dominion.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 02:09:38 pm »
+2

Really?  I had no idea of that.  Black Market is a silly card to add to the base set!  It is best when you have lots of sets to inject more of your library into the game.  If you have just the base set, you are already playing with what, like half the cards you own?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 02:12:24 pm »

Really?  I had no idea of that.  Black Market is a silly card to add to the base set!  It is best when you have lots of sets to inject more of your library into the game.  If you have just the base set, you are already playing with what, like half the cards you own?

You obviously don't work in marketing where you use all the leverage you can to encourage the buyer to purchase more of your products.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 02:12:31 pm »

There are 16 cards in the Black Market deck. You have 26 Kingdom cards (including Black Market) and 10 of them are in the game.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 02:14:08 pm »

You obviously don't work in marketing where you use all the leverage you can to encourage the buyer to purchase more of your products.

The funny thing is, I was going to buy it because I'm a sucker for Dominion products and the special edition has base cards with the new art, but also with larger, more prominent Coin and VP symbols. But then I realized they would no longer match up with my Platinums, Colonies, and Potions.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 02:31:21 pm »

The funny thing is, I was going to buy it because I'm a sucker for Dominion products and the special edition has base cards with the new art, but also with larger, more prominent Coin and VP symbols. But then I realized they would no longer match up with my Platinums, Colonies, and Potions.

I am assuming you already bought the Base Card Edition which updated all of the Base VP and Treasure Cards as well as Curse and that this update is a whole other new look.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 02:45:22 pm »
+1

When did this Special Edition thing happen?? Was there a thread here about it?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 03:27:05 pm »

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/149083/dominion-special-edition

It came out late 2013. BGG lists German version only, not sure if English version exists.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 03:56:06 pm »

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/149083/dominion-special-edition

It came out late 2013. BGG lists German version only, not sure if English version exists.

The publisher is listed as Rio Grande Games on BoardGameGeek, but it does seem like only the German version has been released so far. Perhaps an English version isn't in the works.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 04:05:59 pm »

I am assuming you already bought the Base Card Edition which updated all of the Base VP and Treasure Cards as well as Curse and that this update is a whole other new look.

So, according to the pictures on BGG the Special Edition updates match those released well over a year ago with the new Base Cards.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25711
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 04:16:21 pm »

So, according to the pictures on BGG the Special Edition updates match those released well over a year ago with the new Base Cards.
The top image is the English base cards; the bottom, with larger symbols in one corner, is the newer German ones. Are you saying those are available in English? I have not seen such a thing.

Edit: And when I say top/bottom images, I mean these ones: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/13924661#13924661
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 04:17:26 pm by Donald X. »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 04:19:48 pm »

The top image is the English base cards; the bottom, with larger symbols in one corner, is the newer German ones. Are you saying those are available in English? I have not seen such a thing.

Will those ever be available in English?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25711
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 04:24:06 pm »
+1

Will those ever be available in English?
Jay hasn't said anything about it to me. I don't even know if he prefers them. You could indicate demand by requesting them.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 04:33:56 pm »

Edit: And when I say top/bottom images, I mean these ones: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/13924661#13924661

No, I'm saying I can't see as well as you guys and didn't see the symbols, just the art.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 21 queries.