Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rant about the failure of local tournaments  (Read 5026 times)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
Rant about the failure of local tournaments
« on: April 07, 2014, 12:06:36 am »

Apparently there is some kind of Australian board game tournament thing run every year, with qualifiers in most of the capital cities along the eastern states. Most years they have Settlers, Dominion and Carcassonne, and there's some variation into what other games they run (recently Ticket to Ride, but it looks like they've done Memoir '44 and Alhambra previously too). Except, looking at the results for ACT, they generally manage to get the requisite 12 entrants for Settlers and nothing else. This year, Settlers has hit its minimum of 12, while Ticket to Ride sits at 7 and Carc and Dominion both have a single entrant.

I want to enter, but (a) it's run at a place that's about half an hour's bus ride away from me, (b) apparently games are played as 4p base set only which is not the most exciting set-up, and (c) if the tournament doesn't run, I can either get a refund less booking fee (i.e. I lost a couple of dollars and a bus fare for nothing) or I can transfer to the other tournament running that day, which is Settlers, which I don't really feel like playing competitively.

Why can't 10 other Dominion players magically appear to enter the tournament so I can sign up and know it'll run?</rant>

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Re: Rant about the failure of local tournaments
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 12:14:56 am »

Link?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 08:03:41 am »
+8

Why can't 10 other Dominion players magically appear to enter the tournament so I can sign up and know it'll run?</rant>

Because it's 4p base only? ._.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 08:43:54 am »

During our nationals 2011 we played 4p base. We had like 22 players. I was the luckiest out of the players who acutally bought a Gold with my $6 and two buys instead of two Silvers.

4p base only is not worth it unless you play with people you know, IMO. Not when you're used to all sets.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 08:50:06 am »
+7

Next year contact the organizers and tell them that you'll run the dominion tourno as two player games with all expansions. Bring along at least all eight copies of all the boxed sets, advertise locally for the extra players, manage the seating+timing+scoring for all the two player games each round, etc. They'll probably be very happy to accept you.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:11:27 pm »

Link?
Here you go.

Because it's 4p base only? ._.
Well, yeah. But besides that.

Next year contact the organizers and tell them that you'll run the dominion tourno as two player games with all expansions. Bring along at least all eight copies of all the boxed sets, advertise locally for the extra players, manage the seating+timing+scoring for all the two player games each round, etc. They'll probably be very happy to accept you.
Sounds like a plan. I just need another seven copies of everything and a bucketload more motivation than I normally have. And also I wouldn't get to play then.

Don't mind me, like the thread title suggested I was mostly venting. I do appreciate that it's a lot of effort to run a tournament (I've done it before for DDR), but if they were going to run something, I would just like to see it be something that was actually more attractive to the competitive Dominion player. I'd be happy if they brought it down to 3p and added an expansion or too, and I'd be willing to help with that.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 10:24:09 pm »

Link?
Here you go.

Yeah, found it. For some reason I thought you were in Melbourne, but it looks like the Melbourne one's already over.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 11:44:59 pm »

How is there no NSW tourney?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 11:48:36 pm »

Oh, the Championships are in Sydney.  Anyone coming?  I think I'll sign up.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 12:19:52 am »

Yeah. Also, if you go to their contact page, it will ask what state you're in/enquiring about, and the options are QLD, VIC, ACT and Sydney. (For the Americans, this is approximately equivalent to asking about DE, MA, DC and New York City - or possibly Albany.)

Oh, and do you want to come down to Canberra to try to bulk up our tournament? I mean, we'd still need another 9 or so people but you never know ;)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:20:56 am by ConMan »

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 12:32:03 am »

Yeah. Also, if you go to their contact page, it will ask what state you're in/enquiring about, and the options are QLD, VIC, ACT and Sydney. (For the Americans, this is approximately equivalent to asking about DE, MA, DC and New York City - or possibly Albany.)

Oh, and do you want to come down to Canberra to try to bulk up our tournament? I mean, we'd still need another 9 or so people but you never know ;)

LOL.  I'll have a hard enough time convincing my wife to let me spend all day at a toy convention to try and do well in the Sydney tourney.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 12:15:30 pm »

Assuming the QLD and VIC tournaments are in Brisbane and Melbourne respectively, I think you're underestimating the size of Australia!  Brisbane to Melbourne is more like Boston to Chicago or Atlanta.

Or were you meaning by number of people?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 07:53:18 pm »
+1

Assuming the QLD and VIC tournaments are in Brisbane and Melbourne respectively, I think you're underestimating the size of Australia!  Brisbane to Melbourne is more like Boston to Chicago or Atlanta.

Or were you meaning by number of people?
More that it says "State", then lists two states, one territory (which is close enough to a state so I'd let it slide) and one city. Hence my comparison listing two states, a district and a city rather than listing New York state.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.12 seconds with 21 queries.