Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Idea for Reaction card - needs name.  (Read 2374 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Idea for Reaction card - needs name.
« on: December 02, 2011, 03:15:22 pm »

$5 - ???? - Action-Reaction - At the start of Clean-up this turn, you may put a card from your hand on top of your deck.  |  When you gain a card, you may put it in your hand.

I was thinking of what design space has not been covered yet - we have Reactions that trash cards, put cards on top of your deck, give you silvers, increase your hand size, mess with the top of your deck, and block attacks, but nothing that would put a card directly into your hand.  There are cards like Trading Post and Mine that, due to their nature, put a card in your hand, but wouldn't it be nice to Remodel or Workshop something and use it right away?  Better yet, Ironworks it so you're sure you'll have the Action with which to play it.  Imagine a turn where you go Village, Village, Bridge, Bridge, Ironworks - gain a Grand Market, and play it.  Of course, you can't have just a Reaction card (well, I guess you could, but that would be kind of silly), so the Action would synergize with this Reaction.  With two of these [unnamed] cards, you could play one, then use the Reaction of the other while in your buy phase to put it in your hand, then during clean-up put it on top of your deck, so you can use it next turn.  Or simply use the Action as a delayed Courtyard.  The problem with cards like Mandarin and Courtyard is that you have to decide then and there which card to put on top of your deck, and if you play more Actions, it may end up going right back into your hand - with this, you don't have to make a decision until the end of your turn.  What do you think?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Idea for Reaction card - needs name.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 03:29:01 pm »

Donald posted somewhere or other that he tried various Remodel variants that put the gained card directly in your hand, but they were problematic in some way.  I guess putting Treasure in your hand (Trading Post, Mine) wasn't a big deal, but Action cards were.  Unfortunately I don't know what the problems were, if they were to do with balance or loopholes or what.  So I don't know whether a Reaction card that did such a thing would suffer from the same sorts of problems under certain circumstances.

It's certainly an idea worth exploring, though.  In your specific proposal, the action component seems pretty weak to me, but as it's a strong reaction, maybe it has to be.  And I do like how it fits thematically:  if you reveal, you can put a card in your current hand; if you play, you can put a card in the next hand.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 03:32:32 pm »

For instance, if you have your reaction and Ironworks in hand, you can immediately run out the Ironworks pile.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 03:51:16 pm »

For instance, if you have your reaction and Ironworks in hand, you can immediately run out the Ironworks pile.

Well, that's why this would be expensive.  Maybe there's some wording that could limit this in some way - maybe if you've gained two of the same card, discard it?  Or just discard it after the reaction?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 04:04:01 pm »

Donald posted somewhere or other that he tried various Remodel variants that put the gained card directly in your hand, but they were problematic in some way.  I guess putting Treasure in your hand (Trading Post, Mine) wasn't a big deal, but Action cards were.  Unfortunately I don't know what the problems were, if they were to do with balance or loopholes or what.

I would guess it's a balance issue: perhaps having an Action that puts non-Treasures directly into your hand would be either too strong in the presence of Villages or too weak in the absence of Villages, so it was impossible to give it a fair price?

Saucery

• Thief
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 04:30:43 pm »

For what the card does I think of a transportation/express postage theme:
- Courier, Conveyor, Porter, Post Office, etc.

For balance reasons, I would add attach a cost to the effect such as 'when you gain a card, you may discard a card (or two?) to put it in your hand.' or perhaps the reaction makes you discard the reaction card itself to put it in your hand.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.