Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: card variants- duchess  (Read 2413 times)

clloxin

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
card variants- duchess
« on: April 06, 2014, 04:44:09 pm »
+1

Many people consider it a rule when making a fan card for the card to be unique, or very different. This ends up leading to very limited options of new cards. so I decided to start this thread. The idea here is to make card that are based on other cards. The point of fan cards is to have add something new to the game, so what if people just made variants of other cards? This would give the same feel as new cards, but also give some other cards that people consider boring a new twist.

Lets start here with duchess. I have one here
 Duchess 2.0
type- action
cost- 3
+3 coins
all other players look at the top 2 cards of their deck and discard any, then put the rest back in any order.

or maybe just use the bottom portion on a different card

Duchess 2.0 , the second
type- action
cost- 3
you may trash a card from your hand.
if it was a victory, + 1 card
if it was a treasure card, + 1 coin
if it was an action card, +1 action
all players may gain a copper, putting it in their hand

yes I understand this is worded wrong...

Okay, now regarding feedback, Is this a good idea? to change cards?
Also, were my duchess 2.0 cards appealing to anybody? or are they not that interesting.
Once again, Thank you to all who comment and help me, even when my cards are crappy!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
Re: card variants- duchess
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 05:28:19 pm »

uh, I would start by thinking about why you want to change official cards. F.e. there can be good arguments made as to why changing rebuild is a good idea: it's broken and it makes games uninteresting. But you wouldn't make a menagerie-variant, because the card is amazing. So, at least for me, making variants is only appealing if the official card is bad.

Is duchess a bad card? Actually yes, I think it it's pretty awful, it take up a spot and it's fundamentally uninteresting. So fixing it does make sense.

Now to your versions

Duchess 2.0
type- action
cost- 3
+3 coins
all other players look at the top 2 cards of their deck and discard any, then put the rest back in any order.

Well, the card is pretty strong, probably so strong that you'll open with it on some boards, and it'll be big in slogs. You basically get a terminal gold-with-drawback everytime you buy a duchy. sounds interesting to me.

Duchess 2.0 , the second
type- action
cost- 3
you may trash a card from your hand.
if it was a victory, + 1 card
if it was a treasure card, + 1 coin
if it was an action card, +1 action
all players may gain a copper, putting it in their hand

this card... doesn't really make sense. You don't want to have trashers in games where you are rushing duchies. These games are usually slogs, and you're heavy on green cards and low on money, that's why a terminal silver is a good card. A trasher is not a good card, and a weak trasher like this one is horrible. And you're only going to buy it if you're desperate for trashing and there's no other trasher around.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 05:34:03 pm »
+2

uh, I would start by thinking about why you want to change official cards. F.e. there can be good arguments made as to why changing rebuild is a good idea: it's broken and it makes games uninteresting. But you wouldn't make a menagerie-variant, because the card is amazing. So, at least for me, making variants is only appealing if the official card is bad.
Making variants of Smithy and Village has been pretty appealing to Donald X. even though Smithy and Village aren't particularly bad cards.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 05:35:14 pm »

Many people consider it a rule when making a fan card for the card to be unique, or very different. This ends up leading to very limited options of new cards. so I decided to start this thread. The idea here is to make card that are based on other cards. The point of fan cards is to have add something new to the game, so what if people just made variants of other cards? This would give the same feel as new cards, but also give some other cards that people consider boring a new twist.

If you want this to be a general purpose thread for card variants, you should probably edit duchess out of the title.
Well you *do* need a signature...

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 05:38:14 pm »

e: nvm, whatever
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 05:39:36 pm by silverspawn »

clloxin

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 05:40:52 pm »

The idea here isn't really to fix old cards, but to just make slight ( or huge at times) changes to official cards, to make them more interesting. I just find certain cards much easier to change, like duchess.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.