Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 8 point Fairgrounds... but still too slow to provinces?  (Read 1840 times)

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
8 point Fairgrounds... but still too slow to provinces?
« on: April 05, 2014, 05:34:53 am »

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140405/log.5062d9610cf225c46708e885.1396689857541.txt

Being a Shelters game, I decided to go Fairgrounds. Furthermore, I spot Menagerie/Oasis Combo to help me. I managed to get them up to 8 points, but I still lose. Is Fairgrounds just too slow, or am I playing it wrong? Should have I prioritized Fairground buys over boosters? Or am I just unlucky?

Kingdom cards: Beggar, Haven, Menagerie, Oasis, Ghost Ship, Margrave, Market, Merchant Ship, Treasury, Fairgrounds
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: 8 point Fairgrounds... but still too slow to provinces?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 06:32:53 am »
+1

Fairgrounds is right and you correctly spotted the Oasis/Menagerie interaction, but your execution was all over the place. You end the game with only 2 Menageries, 2 Oasis and 1 Haven in your deck, while you actually should have been getting as much of them as possible (well, maybe not a ton of Havens, as they fuck up your Menageries next turn) to draw most of your deck each turn and play the Ghost Ship.

To get alot of these cheap actions, you need a number of buys, so both your T7 Gold and T8 Margrave should have been Markets.

If you play a Ghost Ship each turn and your opponent doesn't defend by getting alot of Menageries himself, you have all the time in the world. Just keep on building your engine until you can end it on a 3-pile with a point lead. If your opponent plays big money with a 3-card hand he can do absolutely nothing and you can let the piles run as low as you like.

Edit: Here is an example log. In case you're unimpressed by the amount of points I ended the game with: notice that instead of ending it the way I did I could just as easily have gotten 5 Fairgrounds on my last turn. Also note that a Ghost Ship attack from an opponent wouldn't have hurt me much because of all the Menageries.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:56:03 am by SheCantSayNo »

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 08:27:36 am »

SCSN sums it up pretty well. Though you identify the combo, you fail to apply it by buying only two Oases and Menageries. Without trashing your initial cards (or even with trashing all of the starting copper), that isn't nearly enough actions to draw a significant portion of your deck. The $2 buys at the end of the game should be ignored, as the Estates don't help any, and the Beggar's extra copper will ruin whatever hope you have with your two Menageries.

The key here is extra buys and spamming the key engine parts. Once you have most of the Oases and Menageries, it's pretty much impossible to stop you from drawing your deck and getting a significant amount of $ while doing it. By halfway through this game, you should be playing 5-6 Oases every turn, along with 4-5 activated Menagie, a couple of Markets for extra buy, all capped off with the Ghost Ship to cripple your opponent. With enough of the cheap actions, you can very reliably do this every turn. Your opponent goes for a plain Big Money deck, which should have a very tough time in the face of constant discard attacks.

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 09:00:00 am »

Is Oasis/Menagerie not just a combo, but an engine on their own?

Also, does lack of trashing/lack of villages (except Necropolis) affect anything here?
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

Monsieur X

• Bishop
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 09:21:14 am »

Also i'm not sure about opening oasis/menagerie. Being you i would have choosen silver/oasis because :
- you want a silver for your fairground, better using it more turns!
-you clearly want 5 on turn 3 or 4 (and you had luck to have it)
- without any trasher,  thats important to have the maximum of usefull cards the faster you can  ( one silver,one gold, lot of markets, treasury++ to help your menagerie in the early turns, Ghost ship and sure oasis menagerie)

I agree with you. The first 5 i want here is ghost ship to slow down this Christian.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.