Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Goko Possession and Lighthouse  (Read 2912 times)

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
Goko Possession and Lighthouse
« on: April 03, 2014, 09:03:33 pm »

I just played a game with Possession and Lighthouse. Even though I had Lighthouse in play, my opponent was still able to Possess me. Has anyone else experienced this? I double checked the log when it happened to make sure I had played Lighthouse when I thought I had.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Goko Possession and Lighthouse
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 09:07:15 pm »
+3

Possession is not an attack, so Lighthouse does not defend against it.

As for why Possession isn't an attack, note that it doesn't technically hurt you.  The primary effect is just that your opponent gets an extra turn.  Sometimes they'll end up possessing you on one of your good hands, but the could just as easily possess you on one of your bad hands and actually help you out that way.  It can get nasty when combined with Ambassador or Masquerade, but it's still not actually an attack.  It can sure feel like one sometimes though.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 09:10:06 pm »

I always think of it as an attack the same way I think of Tribute as an attack even though it isn't.

I saw a guy nearly rage quit over being Tributed to death. When I told him later that Tribute wasn't even an attack, he couldn't believe it.

I guess I need to pay a little better attention to details. Thanks for the help.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:13:07 pm by jamfamsam »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 09:24:44 pm »
+1

Tribute actually marginally helps the victim on average, unless you manage to trigger an unwanted reshuffle with it, for the same reason why Chancellor's effect is good for its user.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 12:31:45 am »
+9

I saw a guy nearly rage quit over being Tributed to death. When I told him later that Tribute wasn't even an attack, he couldn't believe it.

This kind of thinking was really common on Goko before the Iso people showed up... people who didn't like Wandering Minstrel because it was discarding all their treasure. :)
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 09:07:17 am »
+1

This kind of thinking was really common on Goko before the Iso people showed up... people who didn't like Wandering Minstrel because it was discarding all their treasure. :)

Noo! All my wonderful Silver and Gold! Oh but wait, there's KC-KC-Bridge!

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 04:43:27 pm »
+7

I saw a guy nearly rage quit over being Tributed to death.
How does one get "Tributed to death"?

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 04:56:08 pm »

It would have to have been seen to be believed. We were a bunch of novices and my son was somehow rolling through his deck and playing multiple tributes every turn. It was also some bad luck for the guy on the receiving end because it seemed like the tribute would always catch and discard his best cards.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 05:25:57 pm »
+2

If you confuse the discard and the trash I imagine Tribute can get pretty brutal.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 05:39:27 pm »
+1

I was thinking maybe the Tributes forced him to repeatedly shuffle until his hands started to bleed, and then he bled to death or something...

I guess it's a funny perception thing. If you think of the discard pile as cards you're not going to see again, like in most TCGs, then you're upset about losing whatever card.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 05:45:44 pm »

I was thinking maybe the Tributes forced him to repeatedly shuffle until his hands started to bleed, and then he bled to death or something...

I guess it's a funny perception thing. If you think of the discard pile as cards you're not going to see again, like in most TCGs, then you're upset about losing whatever card.
Usually I like it when I'm the target of milling in MtG. I get to see the cards so I know better what I might or might not draw from my library, sometimes I can do something with them.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.