Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Star Cross'd Lovers of Dominion  (Read 22295 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Star Cross'd Lovers of Dominion
« on: April 02, 2014, 08:53:02 am »
+18

In each expansion there are two cards that were just made for each other; two cards that complete each other. Two cards that work so well together, where the weakness of one is a strength of the other. Apart, they may not be special, but together they are unbreakable. This thread is meant to celebrate the Star Cross'd Lovers of Dominion, and maybe have people write fan fiction about their tales of love and heartbreak.

First, the stories of love and happiness

Base set: Festival and Library
Seaside: Fishing Village and Wharf
Alchemy: Herbalist and Philosopher's Stone
Cornucopia: Hamlet and Menagerie
Hinterlands: Jack of all Trades and Spice Merchant
Dark Ages: Hermit and Market Square
(from this point on I'm not quire sure about the pairings)
Guilds: Butcher and Baker?

Now the tales that involve heartbreak

Intrigue: Scout and Great Hall
Prosperity: King's Court and King's Court
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:15:15 am by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
Re: Star Cross'd Lovers of Dominion
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 09:10:52 am »

Fishing Village and Wharf are awfully powerful apart, too.
Well you *do* need a signature...

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 09:12:18 am »
+17

Fishing Village and Wharf are awfully powerful apart, too.

Well you know how some couples look really good only when they're together -- "They're so cute together!" -- and some couples are just hot people who decided to hook up? Well yeah, that.

This is why we need fan fiction.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 10:11:14 am »
+4

Prosperity: Venture and Bank?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

MarkowKette

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 10:14:58 am »
+1

What about those connected in a love-hatred relationship?

like Seahag and Lookout

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 10:16:01 am »
+14

Festival and Library are so devoted to each other that, when Festival was added to the base set, Library crossed 6 expansions to be reunited with its love.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 10:21:43 am »
+7

What about those connected in a love-hatred relationship?

like Seahag and Lookout

Yeah the fan fictions should include matchups that don't work out:

Festival and Wharf tried to put something together, but they kept on fighting over price point. "Buy me!" "No! Buy me! You need me!"

Wharf to Festival - "You're never there for me when I need you!"

Festival to Wharf - "Well maybe if you'd draw more cards I could help you out!"

"Well maybe if I had some more actions a little earlier on..."

"DON'T you DARE! I saw the way you were looking at that pretty young Fishing Village! Don't you forget where your money comes from!"

"Yeah well I've got my own buy, I don't need you! I'll marry for love! Go read a book or something!

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 02:56:15 pm »

I believe Donald once said how Worker's Village and Peddler form his favourite synergy from Prosperity.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 04:17:00 pm »

I believe Donald once said how Worker's Village and Peddler form his favourite synergy from Prosperity.
I don't think I put it like that, but Peddler is my favorite card in Prosperity, and I certainly have played that combo a lot.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 04:53:59 pm »
+7

Fool's Gold and Mine thought maybe they had a thing going on, but when Fool's Gold met Mine's identical twin, it was love at first sight!

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 04:59:06 pm »

For hinterlands, I'm partial to the Fool's Gold - Nomad Camp pairing

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 06:30:22 pm »

I think I bott'ed Festival Library out once and it lost to Library BM. 

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 06:36:01 pm »
+1

Try adding an elite trasher like Trade Route (opening TR/Silver) and it should crush. If it has to be Base-only, I guess Chapel will do the job as well.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 07:00:35 pm »
+130

HERBALIST/ALCHEMIST: A LOVE STORY

When the sun rose over the rooftops of the city, the market square was already bustling with activity. A veritable menagerie of vendors and traders of every sort were setting up their stalls, and the first costumers of the day were already browsing the myriad goods. From the spice merchant's stall drifted heady aromas speaking of far-off hinterlands, and the junk dealer had curiosities to delight any sensibility cluttering his store. The market held its dangers, as well- one never knew if the old beggar by the roadside was a cutpurse in disguise, or if the merchant one was dealing with was a shameless mountebank looking to peddle counterfeit goods. But the city militia patrolled the stalls and kept trouble in check, and the air of the plaza was filled with the promise of prosperity for its inhabitants, as well as with the clink of copper, silver and gold.

Herminia's humble stall was set up, as usual, in an out-of the way corner of the market. Claiming a prime spot in the competitive marketplace took a force of will that she lacked, and so she had to settle with a shadowy spot, wedged in between the counting house and the candlestick maker's shop. She told herself that it hardly mattered- customers were few and far between. By evening she walked the hills beyond the city walls, gathering herbs, and by day she sold them in the market. The money she made was meager, barely enough to support her small cottage on the edge of town, but she got by, day in and day out.

There was one thing that kept Herminia going, that brought her out of reverie of the passing days. His name was Albert, and he was her most loyal and regular customer- indeed, her only customer that could be said to be regular or loyal at all. He was an alchemist employed by the king's court, and each day he came down to visit Herminia, and each day his visit was the highlight of her day.

Today she sat behind the counter of her stall in a simple brown dress and white cap. Basil, thyme, mint and sage were lined up before her, their familiar scents putting her into a sleepy haze. Every once in awhile, a customer would round the corner and inspect her wares, and Herminia would reflexively perk up, hoping to see Albert. But he rarely visited until the late afternoon, and so she would settle back on her stool as the stranger looked disinterestedly over her goods. She was patient, though. She knew he would come.

The market was almost closed before she heard the familiar footsteps. This time, when she turned, she knew who she would see, and a soft smile was already forming on her lips.

Albert's appearance was, to put it mildly, somehwhat eccentric. His head was completely bald, but he made up for it with an exceptionally long beard, which had waxed into an absurd twist. To top it off, he often sported a pair of enormous goggles, which he wore about the town without a thought for the stares he drew. Herminia didn't care. When he smiled at her, it felt as if all the cares and worries of the world had melted away.

That same smiled graced Albert's features as he approached her now. Herminia felt her breath quicken.

“Good evening, my dear,” he said.

“Good evening, Albert,” she replied, trying to keep her voice steady. She thought she might tumble from her stool.

“The usual, if you please.”

Her hands trembled as she reached beneath the counter, fumbling until they found the round blue flask. The contents sloshed noisily, and her eyes lingered on the container before she passed it carefully into Albert's waiting hands. It contained a potion of her own devising, a mixture of herbs that invigorated the body and energized the mind. Albert drank one almost every evening. He worked for the king himself, and his long nights in the castle laboratory took a toll on him. Herminia's potion, so he said, was the only thing that he had found that gave him the energy to maintain his work. She often wondered why he did not buy it in bulk, or have it delivered to the castle. She dared to let herself hope that he had another reason to come down to market to visit her.

As Albert took the potion from her, he bowed slightly. “Thank you, Herminia. I don't know what I would do without you.” He dug a gold coin from his pocket and reached out to hand it to her, and like always, she cupped her hand to receive it. This time, however, as their hands made contact, he held the touch. His smile disappeared, and he bit his lip in hesitation. Herminia found herself frozen, not daring to breathe.

“Herminia?” he asked.

“Yes, Albert?”

“I was wondering... in a fortnight, the princess will be throwing a party. A masquerade ball. A dreadfully tedious affair, really, but as a member of the court, I'm required to attend. I was hoping, perhaps, that you would like to accompany me.”

Her heart was immediately filled with both excitement and dread. It was the moment Herminia had been waiting for for so long. Albert returned the feelings she had kept hidden for so long, and it was all she could do to stop herself from throwing herself into his arms. But the prospect of being at the palace, surrounded by those whose station in life was so far above hers, brought nothing but terror. She would be ridiculed, sneered at, laughed out. Albert would never want to see her again.

“I... I don't know. The palace... I'm not sure if I belong there, Albert.”

Albert's brow furrowed. “My dear, there is nowhere in the this world that you wouldn't belong.” He reached out, and Herminia felt all the warmth in her body rush to her face as he laid a hand on her cheeck. “No one could look upon a face as beautiful and kindly as yours, and not think...” He quickly pulled back his hand and cast his eyes downward. “I apologize. I am being much too forward.”

“No,” she said. “Albert, I...”

Herminia looked around at her spartan stall. All her life had been spent here, and she had never dared dream of anything greater. This was her chance at something more, something beyond the life of a simple herbalist. She would be a fool not to take. She couldn't just sit back and accept the hands that life dealt her. It was time to make her own shuffle luck.

“I would love to, Albert.”

He looked upon, and for a brief moment looked surprised. Then the smile returned to his face, and he took her hand once more. This time and leaned in and gave it a gentle kiss, the hairs of his beard tickling her fingertips.

“Until tomorrow, Herminia.”

Albert took his potion and left, and Herminia felt the urge to watch him until he was no longer in view. But she had business to attend to,  and the market was closing, so she began to gather her product and shut down her stall. Besides, she would see him again tomorrow, and in a fortnight, she would have the evening of a lifetime.

TO BE CONTINUED??? (Probably not, I can't believe I wrote this, what am I doing with my life)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:02:22 pm by A Drowned Kernel »
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 07:02:26 pm »
+1

I ship Stonemason/Herald. They are a bit tsundere for each other, but that just makes it more fun.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 07:29:41 pm »
+1

why doesnt this have more upvotes?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 09:02:22 pm »

why doesnt this have more upvotes?

srsly.  +1000
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 10:11:57 pm »
+6

It was time to make her own shuffle luck.

I need to find like 55 more posts of yours to upvote

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 10:20:29 pm »
+1

I need to find like 55 more posts of yours to upvote
I thought that if people said things like this they would be too lazy to actually do this. :o

But yeah, the story is amazing!

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 11:18:47 pm »
+8

That story should go on the main blog.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 02:47:07 am »
+1

Try adding an elite trasher like Trade Route (opening TR/Silver) and it should crush. If it has to be Base-only, I guess Chapel will do the job as well.
I don't disagree that a trasher improves it, but that's a threesome.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 09:11:38 am »
+6

There is no reason for this not to be printed and included with the Alchemy set.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 09:21:36 am »
+2

I don't disagree that a trasher improves it, but that's a threesome.

You can't tell me that Herminia doesn't do a little Foraging on the side.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 01:45:08 pm »

I've played some solitaire games with Moneylender instead of Chapel. Moneylender seems to do the job pretty well.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 10:40:23 pm »
+8

I am so scared to read ADK's story. There's a chance I might like it.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 20 queries.