Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Donald announces new expansion!  (Read 15984 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Donald announces new expansion!
« on: April 01, 2014, 09:42:19 pm »
+6

Happy April Fools, everyone.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Donald announces new expansion!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 10:18:30 pm »
+18

Is that the name of the expansion? Do you have a link? I don't see it announced anywhere else! What's going on?! TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:27:54 pm »
+4

Is that the name of the expansion? Do you have a link? I don't see it announced anywhere else! What's going on?! TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!

You can be so gullible, Robz.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 10:35:42 pm »

You can be so gullible, Robz.
And you must be the Monopoly guy...
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 10:50:06 pm »
+1

Happy April Fools, everyone.
In my time zone, you posted this at 11AM on April 2nd. So even though I knew it was going to be an April Fools joke, it comes a little late for me :(

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 01:07:07 am »
+4

Dominion expansion: D O M I N I O N

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 01:08:06 am »

Ah!!! This is so confusing!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 01:16:03 am »
+1

What the OP failed to tell everyone is that there is only one card in this expansion...Scout with new artwork and a new cost of $3.

Nik

• Baron
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 07:10:39 am »
+1

Wow I'm gullible. I clicked on this, hoping to see what the new expansion was and when it will be; but instead I got a prank!

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 07:43:42 am »
+6

Actually I was expecting it would be Ozle the one to do this, from his contributions in the DXV interview thread. So Kudos to GendoIkari, but it would have been better if there were actual prank-cards, prank-name of the expansion, and even prank-description of the box :P

Anyone up to the task?

EDIT: I'll start, because procrastination.

"Jack-in-the-box

So one day you wake up and you are old. Not old, old, of course, since everybody dies before their thirties, what with the plague and the pirates and the tournaments and what-not. And man, you are still gorgeous, I mean check out that duchess, and she's coming your way just to see your duchy if you catch my drift. If you don't, it's fine, don't worry, it was kind of a stretch anyway.
But old inside, because you've already seen everything. Been there, done that, you're not excited about the fancy-schamncy King court's masquerades, there's just so much of your dominion you can rebuild, and it's been a while since the last time they saw you in the chapel.
So in between nefariously challenging other foolish builders for fun, you check your castle again, because why not and you don't need a reason anyway. And hey you find something. A box. Not a chest, why would it be a chest, no, a box, maybe the chest will come some other time. And you think, what's in the box?"

EDIT 2:

Dungeon
3$ Action
Discard a card, trash a card, +3 cards

Politics
3$ Action-Attack-Victory
When you play this, name another player. That player gains a curse and discards a card.
--
At the end of the game, name another player. That player gains one VP for every Politics card in their deck.

Tide
3$ Action-Duration
+1 action
Choose one:
+2 cards or discard two cards
At the beginning of your next turn, do the other one.

Witch doctor
3$P Action
Take an extra turn after this one. The player to your left can see your hand, and chooses what you play in your stead, and gains a copy of every card you gain during that extra turn. If this is the first game you play with Witch doctor today, repeat this process with the player to your right.

Unobtainium
12$ Treasure
+1 buy, +11$

Surgeon
2$ Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal two cards with the same name. Trash the revealed cards.

The Jack in jack-in-the-box
6$ Action
Gain a gold.
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal an action or treasure card. Discard any of the revealed cards, put the rest on top of your deck in any order.
Draw until you have six cards in your hand.
Trash up to two cards from your hand.
--
When you read this card, squint.

The end is nigh
3$ Action-Attack-Ruins-Looter
+1 action +1 card. Reveal your hand. If you revealed at least one ruin card, all other players gain a Ruins.

Fat cow
5$ Action
Take 3 coin tokens
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:13:37 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 09:05:18 am »
+14

"Secret history of Jack-in-the-box

Dungeon: this card has been around since quite early. It's alright, it lets you trash, it doesn't slow you down, it's pretty vanilla. It didn't make it into the base set, but with this cool new expansion, I can finally add it in. Much rejoicing was had.

Politics: I always get complaints that there isn't enough interaction in Dominion. They are wrong, of course, but Jay is very business-oriented, so he told me "make a card with more interactions, will you?", and I had this outtake lying around from another game I am working on which may or may not be a Dominion spin-off, so I obliged. Since this card was meant to represent Intrigue, it had to have the dual action-victory type (actually now it has triple typing, how cool is that I ask you), so I came up with this, playtested it for two games, and since nobody seemed to be openly against it once I suggested that maybe we should playtest 6-player Dominion some more, here you are. Now you can play diplomacy in 40 minutes instead of 40 hours. No, no, no need to thank me, I do it for the Greater Good.

Tide: people love their duration cards. Don't get me wrong, they are nice, but it's logistically complicated to print new ones, because what do you do to explain how they work in the rulebook. But this expansion doesn't have a rulebook at all, since it is marketed for the hardcorest fans of mine, so yay I guess. This one also gives you choices, which is a premiere, no other duration card does that, unless you count haven, but that's neither here nor there. Sure, one of the two choices has some rule issues, but you'll get over it quickly, especially since it is the worst option anyway, why would you take it in the first place. Also some people forget what they chose the previous turn, don't play with them. As an added bonus, this card also helps new players understand that a strong turn and a bad turn are better than two middle ones, so slap this into a game with your mother to help her learn advanced techniques faster.

Witch doctor: this is in many senses a fixed Possession. Many many senses, I tell you. The price is right. It doesn't feel like an attack, except against yourself. Only one (or two) of your opponents benefit from it. This card is better balanced when there are two extra turns, but then again two extra turns take forever to resolve, so people get bored very quickly, that's why there's the clause about the second turn taking place only if it's the first time you play with it today; nobody wants to go through it twice in quick succession, believe me. There are many other reasons that should be apparent when reading this simple and elegant card. I am not going to tell you how to use this card correctly, I prefer when people find it by themselves.

Unobtainium: Well this one was obvious. Prosperity's theme is spendy, so we might as well go overboard, explore the limits of Dominion, and how expensive can a card be before nobody buys it anymore. To boldly go where no man has gone before they say. You only play with Unobtainium when Colonies are out, of course. You might have noticed that 11$ is exactly the cost of a colony, and that Unobtainium gives you an extra buy, there's a hint right there on how you want to use this card.

Surgeon: Cornucopia cares about diversity. Surgeon cares about diversity. For only two, you might trash two estates and a copper, and still have a four card hand, how strong is that, even better than chapel I tell you. It does share the same problem that lookout, since you might trash your precious provinces, and labs, and pretty much everything else really, but if your deck only consists of unique cards costing 3+, maybe you shouldn't have played surgeon in the first place, unless you want to undo all the hard work you did to get there for some reason.

The Jack in jack-in-the-box: I know that hinterlands theme is cards that do stuff when bought/gained, but there was this joke to be made, so I went with it. This is a stronger version of Jack-of-all-trades, in case you hadn't noticed. Need more economy? Here's a gold, to make up for the fact that you bought The Jack instead of a gold. People messing with the top of your deck? The Jack doesn't even notice as he cleans it (note, you can even leave those victory cards on top, Scout likes that). You had to discard your cards? The Jack laughs and gives you more than you know what to do with them. Got stuff that you don't like in your deck? Not anymore. All in all, The Jack smiles at you and then you win. I noticed during playtesting that some people had trouble reading all that text in the card, that's why I tell people to squint in the card itself, in case they forget.

The end is nigh: looters! Self-replacing attacks! Two concepts that work, just check Dark Ages. This one gives ruins, which is definitely stronger than discarding down to four cards, and it is only worth 3$, and comboes with itself since it is considered a Ruins (the typing is important). Since there is no rulebook with this expansion, you don't know whether you can gain a "The end is nigh" when you have to gain a Ruins or not, so you'll have to debate it with your fellow players. The end is nigh becomes stronger as you receive more ruins, and it even comboes with vagrant, there's some cool theme for you people.

Fat cow: a common question is why there is no action card that gives +3$. Mainly because they are boring and hard to price. This solves both problems, because coin tokens are awesome like that. You can use those tokens now, or later, that's the whole point. A baseline strategy for Fat cow is play it 8 times -> ??? -> Profit! But there are other strategies too, of course. Amass them before your bridge megaturn. Use them with butcher, transform your lowly coppers into provinces, amaze your friends. Play seven fat cows on the same turn but only use the coins on the next (achievement unlocked!). Truly limitless strategies."
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:18:02 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 09:09:52 am »
+2

Actually I was expecting it would be Ozle the one to do this, from his contributions in the DXV interview thread.

I thought about it, but then rejected it as I thought it would be suspected of me.

I had two other ideas in the end, but went with the really really sneaky subtle one....
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 09:30:29 am »
+1

I heard it had a new mechanic to incorporate Monopoly rules into Dominion.  Dice come included.

Blueswan

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 10:06:21 am »
+1

Joking aside, I actually really like these 5 cards:

Dungeon
3$ Action
Discard a card, trash a card, +3 cards

Tide
3$ Action-Duration
+1 action
Choose one:
+2 cards or discard two cards
At the beginning of your next turn, do the other one.

Surgeon
2$ Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal two cards with the same name. Trash the revealed cards.

The end is nigh
3$ Action-Attack-Ruins-Looter
+1 action +1 card. Reveal your hand. If you revealed at least one ruin card, all other players gain a Ruins.

Fat cow
5$ Action
Take 3 coin tokens

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 10:14:30 am »

I actually like Dungeon quite a bit.  Might be worth better than $3 though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 10:27:11 am »

I actually like Dungeon quite a bit.  Might be worth better than $3 though.

Well it would certainly be a very strong $3. I think it would match Masquerade's strength pretty much exactly. They both let you trash a card and still have a 5 card hand. This just trades Masquerade's ability to screw with your opponent when they don't have bad cards to pass for and extra "discard 1, draw 1" filtering.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 10:38:49 am »

I thought that it was common knowledge that Dungeon was a heavy contender for a spot in a chest-like expansion. Donald has talked about it before. I put it here to make people think (at first) that I was serious.

Aside from dungeon, I was trying to make cards that Donald would never do. I probably should have spent more time in the terribly bad card ideas to make this funnier, but oh well.
Politics is obviously wrong, so is Witch Doctor.
The Jack, Unobtainium and Fat cow are terribly uninspired, and very probably not priced right, if at all possible.
Tide is very confusing and needs rules clarifications, so does the end is nigh but that one could actually be solved.
I personally think that surgeon is bad because of how swingy and dangerous it is, and even though it looks like it rewards diversity, it actually doesn't, so it doesn't really represent cornucopia. I guess the first issue could be fixed (add the option to discard one of the revealed cards, for example), but then you are getting very close to doctor (guilds)

I encourage any other person to try to make a joke list of cards!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:04:16 am by pacovf »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 12:08:41 pm »

I thought that it was common knowledge that Dungeon was a heavy contender for a spot in a chest-like expansion. Donald has talked about it before.

By "a heavy contender for", you mean "one that a lot of us wish would be in", right?

(Actually I don't think Dungeon would be that great in a Treasure Chest expansion, now that Masquerade and so on exist; I think it should have been in the base set instead of one of the duds like Feast.)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 01:45:58 pm »
+2

(Actually I don't think Dungeon would be that great in a Treasure Chest expansion, now that Masquerade and so on exist; I think it should have been in the base set instead of one of the duds like Feast.)

Yeah, it's not so much that Dominion as a whole needs Dungeon; the Base Set in particular needs Dungeon because it's got such a dearth of good Curse-trashing cards.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 03:04:56 pm »

By "a heavy contender for", you mean "one that a lot of us wish would be in", right?

In my mind, those two are equivalent.  ;D

It's a heavy contender because it is the only one I know of, basically, but my point was that I expected people to recognize that particular card.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 03:21:02 pm »
+1

Actually I was expecting it would be Ozle the one to do this, from his contributions in the DXV interview thread.

I thought about it, but then rejected it as I thought it would be suspected of me.

I had two other ideas in the end, but went with the really really sneaky subtle one....

Is this one of those recursive pranks where you hint at a really really sneaky subtle one but really the hinting is the really really sneaky subtle one?

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 03:25:58 pm »

Is this one of those recursive pranks where you hint at a really really sneaky subtle one but really the hinting is the really really sneaky subtle one?

I think you are overestimating my intelligence.....

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 03:30:24 pm »
+2

I suspect the actual prank is that there is no prank at all, but by suggesting its subtle existence he has us feverously searching for it, wondering what it might be.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 03:30:50 pm »

So you are smart enough to do a really really sneaky subtle prank, but not enough to understand that saying that you did a really really sneaky subtle one without actually doing so constitutes a really really sneaky subtle one?

Sorry Ozle, I just don't trust you enough to believe that you did a prank.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 03:33:08 pm »

So you are smart enough to do a really really sneaky subtle prank, but not enough to understand that saying that you did a really really sneaky subtle one without actually doing so constitutes a really really sneaky subtle one?

Sorry Ozle, I just don't trust you enough to believe that you did a prank.

some of this is exactly true. Although in not smart enough to work out which part

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.