Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Donald announces new expansion!  (Read 15979 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Donald announces new expansion!
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 04:11:29 pm »
+11

I actually like Dungeon quite a bit.  Might be worth better than $3 though.
The version in Dark Ages cost $4.

I have actually been working on a new expansion. Oh Dominion. No, not a Dominion expansion.

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 04:57:52 pm »

Dungeon at 3 doesn't actually sound better than Masquerade. It's certainly a strong card, but one of the best traits of Masquerade is that you draw before you trash, which gives you more options in trashing. Dungeon would not do this.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 05:05:07 pm »
+2

Dungeon at 3 doesn't actually sound better than Masquerade. It's certainly a strong card, but one of the best traits of Masquerade is that you draw before you trash, which gives you more options in trashing. Dungeon would not do this.
Masquerade is not exactly a benchmark!

The similarity to Masquerade did contribute to killing Dungeon though.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 05:10:31 pm »

I have actually been working on a new expansion. Oh Dominion. No, not a Dominion expansion.

Is it for a game that has been released, or a game that hasn't?

Also, Gauntlet of Fools 2? Eh? Eh?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 05:11:02 pm »

I actually like Dungeon quite a bit.  Might be worth better than $3 though.
The version in Dark Ages cost $4.

You made my day, then ruined it right after :(

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 05:12:36 pm »

What is this I don't even

EDIT: this is so going to mess up with BGG. "The hotness : Dominion (2014)".
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:21:15 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 05:13:37 pm »
+1

Losing the "may" before "trash" is also a big deal. Masquerade is usable through the whole game if you keep around a single junk card to pass. Dungeon isn't.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 05:34:02 pm »
+1

He means he's working on an expansion for a game other than Dominion, not that he's working on a new game that is also titled "Dominion".

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 07:55:16 pm »
+2

He means he's working on an expansion for a game other than Dominion, not that he's working on a new game that is also titled "Dominion".
Yes, it's an expansion for an unpublished game. It was an easy project and we were playing the game anyway. It's looking good but no doubt more stuff will change before it's done.

Gauntlet of Fools is unlikely to get an expansion. I guess it will have one shot at anything more happening with it, which is, BGA may put up a version of it. If they do then conceivably that will cause any interest at all in this game. Currently it is just an invisible game, no-one has heard of it and it sells very few copies. We liked it a lot, it was popular among the people at game nights who playtested it, but it did not catch on. I would point at the bidding, the fact that it's a bidding game with only one round of bidding. So some people decide, I don't know what to bid, no bidding for me this time, and then hey where were the decisions, what a stupid game.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 08:34:17 pm »

If he wants to go full April Fools, then the expansion will be $new_game_name: Dominion.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2014, 08:44:21 pm »

Losing the "may" before "trash" is also a big deal. Masquerade is usable through the whole game if you keep around a single junk card to pass. Dungeon isn't.
Edge case: Fortress.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2014, 08:55:49 pm »
+2

Is that the name of the expansion? Do you have a link? I don't see it announced anywhere else! What's going on?! TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!

You can be so gullible, Robz.
Woah wait why is that eHalc.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2014, 09:07:57 pm »
+2

Is that the name of the expansion? Do you have a link? I don't see it announced anywhere else! What's going on?! TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!

You can be so gullible, Robz.
Woah wait why is that eHalc.

Hahaha, classic. :D

I changed my profile pic to Robz' profile pic yesterday.  SirPeebles caught it in the Contraband+Advisor thread and he was just playing along here.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2014, 10:29:25 pm »

Wait wait wait, let me check if I got it right the first time: you are working on an expansion of a game that you aren't close to publishing yet, and you've already decided that the name of the expansion would be Dominion, and you tell this here the other way around? In what universe is that not cruel? THE FEELS!  :'(
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2014, 11:38:54 pm »

Wait wait wait, let me check if I got it right the first time: you are working on an expansion of a game that you aren't close to publishing yet, and you've already decided that the name of the expansion would be Dominion, and you tell this here the other way around? In what universe is that not cruel? THE FEELS!  :'(

The name of the expansion is not "Dominion". At least not based on what he said here. I'm not sure where the confusion lies. He's simply working on an expansion for a game; nothing that has anything to do with Dominion in name or in game.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2014, 12:21:22 am »

Gauntlet of Fools is unlikely to get an expansion. I guess it will have one shot at anything more happening with it, which is, BGA may put up a version of it. If they do then conceivably that will cause any interest at all in this game. Currently it is just an invisible game, no-one has heard of it and it sells very few copies. We liked it a lot, it was popular among the people at game nights who playtested it, but it did not catch on. I would point at the bidding, the fact that it's a bidding game with only one round of bidding. So some people decide, I don't know what to bid, no bidding for me this time, and then hey where were the decisions, what a stupid game.

Perhaps I just haven't played enough times, but I think there are usually several good decisions to be made in the Gauntlet phase. Enough such that new players (who tend not to boast) want to play again. I agree that the not-boasting issue is the game's biggest problem, though. It takes several games before you can get a decent handle on the power level of various heroes, and until then the boasting round is sort of moot.

I think the easiest way to fix this is to add more decisions in the Gauntlet phase. You can even do this with the existing game by playing with 2 heroes per player, even when playing with 3 or 4 players. Unfortunately, the rulebook fails to address a lot of questions regarding 2-hero games. Just off the top of my head, does the Wand's always-on ability continue to function even after that hero dies? Is the player locked into using the Wand hero if he does use the Wand's ability(s)? Honestly, I've pretty much taken the Wand out of circulation anyway. Good lord does it slow the game down!

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2014, 12:42:48 am »

I like Gauntlet. My main problem with it is that when you play with a bunch of people totally new to the game, there is little to no bidding because they don't really know what's good and what's not. You almost need to play a test round before actually playing, which is undesireable for such a light game.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2014, 01:32:35 am »

Perhaps I just haven't played enough times, but I think there are usually several good decisions to be made in the Gauntlet phase. Enough such that new players (who tend not to boast) want to play again. I agree that the not-boasting issue is the game's biggest problem, though. It takes several games before you can get a decent handle on the power level of various heroes, and until then the boasting round is sort of moot.
There are decisions in the gauntlet; I am just summing up the case against it. People who didn't bid tend to feel like there was no skill involved, and of course they feel that way because a lot of the skill is in the bidding.

I think the easiest way to fix this is to add more decisions in the Gauntlet phase. You can even do this with the existing game by playing with 2 heroes per player, even when playing with 3 or 4 players. Unfortunately, the rulebook fails to address a lot of questions regarding 2-hero games. Just off the top of my head, does the Wand's always-on ability continue to function even after that hero dies? Is the player locked into using the Wand hero if he does use the Wand's ability(s)?
When the hero with the Wand dies you no longer have access to the Wand. You can use the Wand ability and then send the other hero.

I don't play with Wand for a first game but like it fine otherwise. It would be better as an expansion card but well.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2014, 07:45:16 am »

The name of the expansion is not "Dominion". At least not based on what he said here. I'm not sure where the confusion lies. He's simply working on an expansion for a game; nothing that has anything to do with Dominion in name or in game.

How do you explain the "Oh Dominion" in "I have actually been working on a new expansion. Oh Dominion. No, not a Dominion expansion."?

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2014, 07:48:22 am »
+3

How do you explain the "Oh Dominion" in "I have actually been working on a new expansion. Oh Dominion. No, not a Dominion expansion."?

Short for, "Oh, you wanted a Dominion expansion, not just any old expansion. No, I am not working on a Dominion expansion."

Nik

• Baron
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2014, 07:49:46 am »

Short for, "Oh, you wanted a Dominion expansion, not just any old expansion. No, I am not working on a Dominion expansion."
BUT WHY NOT??

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2014, 04:03:46 pm »

I did not think anyone was serious about this. The thread title does not refer to Dominion - just some new expansion. Stressing the word that previously wasn't understood is a thing you can do in English; there's an implicit "you mean" after the "oh."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2014, 04:08:00 pm »
+1

I did not think anyone was serious about this. The thread title does not refer to Dominion - just some new expansion. Stressing the word that previously wasn't understood is a thing you can do in English; there's an implicit "you mean" after the "oh."

They weren't serious, it was just an elaborate April's Fools prank to get you to over-explain.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2014, 04:32:25 pm »
+2

They weren't serious, it was just an elaborate April's Fools prank to get you to over-explain.
http://nedroid.com/2011/04/wont-get-fooled-again/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2014, 04:35:04 pm »
+2

http://nedroid.com/2011/04/wont-get-fooled-again/

Well the optimal day to April Fool's prank is April 2nd, after everyone drops their guard. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 20 queries.