Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: To engine or not to engine?  (Read 1980 times)

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
To engine or not to engine?
« on: April 01, 2014, 06:42:44 pm »
+1

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140401/log.5158def5e4b0ee7f08a599e4.1396391738565.txt

After deciding on boring courtyard-bm, I started focusing on facebook and mafia and didn't give this much attention. When I had three provinces to one, I kind of wrote this off as a win and started focusing even less. There were some decisions as to how to use my coin token (that turn 8 province should have been a gold?), and I likely want a third courtyard at some point, even with the potential for island in the future (or were they a mistake altogether? I thought I could clinch 50% VP before he'd get there) and I drew 7 a lot, but still.. is this really an engine board? I didn't think I'd be asking such a question these days, but courtyard-BM is quite good and the engine has like nothing going for it.

SCSN, enlighten me!

... apparently, despite my 10000 posts, I'm a noob and don't know how to use the kingdom displayer.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 06:44:21 pm by Eevee »

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: To engine or not to engine?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 07:01:43 pm »
+1

I finished the game with 11 coin tokens so I likely played it suboptimally, but 65 points in 19 turns isn't all that bad.

And yes, I tried to be as honest as possible with my Advisor discards; I didn't just use them as superior labs ;)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 07:08:37 pm »
+3

I think the problem is that, like you said, you checked out mentally. When you play this kind of BM deck, you need to be aware of what your opponent is doing. You want to get half the points slightly before he can. The more he's going to build, the more you can build.

Turn 7 you should have put back a Silver and bought a Gold. Then you buy your turn 8 Province without using the coin token. By declining to use your ability to put back a good treasure, you're hurting your next turn in order to buy a more expensive card this turn. But a Province is not so much better than Gold at this point.
Turn 12 and 13 you don't want Islands yet. The game is not about to end unless you can end it, and Islands are not going to help you.

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 11:07:54 am »

The 6/2 opening is really strong here if you luck into it. Gold/Courtyard or maybe Alter/Courtyard for the engine. I imagine Alter is a good opener, but have ever tried it.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 04:01:46 pm »
+1

... apparently, despite my 10000 posts, I'm a noob and don't know how to use the kingdom displayer.

First, you go to the Kingdom Image Builder on gokosalvager.

Next, you enter the log url into the place that asks for the log url.  Click Build.

The top box will have all the BBCode

Copy and paste that exact code and poof!  You have the Kingdom built:

Code: [Select]
Courtyard, Vagrant, Advisor, Island, Spy, Baker, Explorer, Inn, Tribute, Altar
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 03:27:19 am »

There are also links from the log search page.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.18 seconds with 20 queries.