Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Apothecary/Warehouse combo  (Read 19486 times)

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
The Apothecary/Warehouse combo
« on: June 19, 2011, 05:14:22 pm »

First of all: You may have seen me logging on with something called BuyBorg. This is the first implementation of the Dominion AI I'm developing at http://github.com/rspeer/golem. It's called "BuyBorg" because it only decides what to buy, and needs a human to decide everything else. It's not necessarily that good yet.

Anyway, I'm playing a test game against BuyBorg and it opens Potion/Warehouse. The only Alchemy card on the board is Apothecary. I sigh at the bot's incompetence, assuming it's going to leave itself floundering with ineffective hands full of copper in a colony game. For myself I open Silver/Warehouse.

Second time through its deck, it buys an apothecary and another warehouse.

Third time through, it buys another apothecary and a gold. Fourth time, it buys a platinum. Soon it's drawing enough money to get a platinum or a colony on every turn, and it's got something like three colonies by the time I finally buy a platinum.

So getting my ass handed to me by my own glitchy bot has shown me that Apothecary/Warehouse can apparently be a strong enough combo to open with, something I hadn't thought of before.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Re: The Apothecary/Warehouse combo
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 05:20:46 pm »
+1

Resistance is futile.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 07:54:23 pm »

The apothecary can be a very strong card. It is underestimated sometimes even by the top players on isotropic. The main problem is that it delivers big hands early and then peters out, giving 4 extra coppers to buy an alchemist on turn 6, and then giving 1 copper and a potion on turn 14 when you want to buy a province.

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 09:38:10 pm »

The apothecary can be a very strong card. It is underestimated sometimes even by the top players on isotropic. The main problem is that it delivers big hands early and then peters out, giving 4 extra coppers to buy an alchemist on turn 6, and then giving 1 copper and a potion on turn 14 when you want to buy a province.

Overall, its usefulness does decline, but it still can deliver big hands by helping you with draws, and cards that use knowledge of what's coming next. 
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

nemryn

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 09:48:26 pm »

Now try adding Counting House and Scout!

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:32:52 am »

I like Apothecary, probably too much for my own good actually.

Apothecary/Coppersmith can get to five provinces surprisingly fast.  Open Potion/something non-terminal (Warehouse is really good here), get one Coppersmith and a few Apothecaries, and don't bother buying any money.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:05:26 am by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 11:18:53 am »

I've been crushed a couple of times by people who open with a potion just for apothecary. The card is amazing early, and helps stop chains from stalling out later.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.