Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Hanabi  (Read 32041 times)

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
Re: Hanabi
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2015, 12:10:13 pm »
+1

How many multicolor cars do you have?

In german version I have normal  10 (3x1 2x2 2x3 2x4 1x5)
In czech version I have only 5 (1x1, 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, 1x5).

What is the "right" count?

There is one way to play, one variant, that uses 5 multicolor, but the game should come with a full set of 10
Gender happened.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Re: Hanabi
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2015, 07:55:26 am »
+1

The three versions I've seen all had 10 cards of each color.

Frankly, I'm not sure that 5 cards would be very fun. It can easily lend itself to impossible games. What if no player had a 1 card in the opening hand? You can't discard or play anything to make room. All you can do is maximize your score by telling people which cards are 5s so they can be discarded. And even if a 1 is played, what if the corresponding 2 isn't out there? And so on.

Granted, with 5 players, this is a little more manageable. It's highly unlikely that nobody would have a 1. I guess if that happens, the second player will know instantly that they can't win when he sees no 1s and the first player doesn't tell him he has any 1s.

Having one of each card just doesn't sound that fun to me, but I admittedly have not tried it, so I can't dismiss it entirely. At the very least, you'd be missing the strategic component of blind discards. I like that because you can really see the anguish on the person's face as he contemplates discarding that card nobody told him anything about.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.