Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ever seen 12 point Feodums?  (Read 2051 times)

azadin

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
Ever seen 12 point Feodums?
« on: March 31, 2014, 07:56:58 pm »

Game Log: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140329/log.50baeedee4b07d338bca0a0a.1396149778293.txt

Code: [Select]
Scrying Pool, Masterpiece, Watchtower, Feodum, Quarry, Thief, Band of Misfits, Festival, Jester, Expand
So the first thing that caught my eye was Masterpiece/Feodum. It's a very strong combination. There was, however, a very possible scrying pool engine here with Festival, Expand, Jester, and Watchtower. With lots of thieves and a strong scrying pool deck, it would even be a pretty good defense against the Feodums (but probably also too slow). Without stronger trashing (Expand is awesome but takes awhile to build to and is still quite slow), I decided the engine would likely be slower (though I might still be wrong about that) and wanted to see how high I could get Feodums as it was the first time I'd played with both of those cards in the same kingdom.

Suffice to say my opponent only bought two silvers and didn't get a Thief until the end of the game, giving me all but 3 silvers in the supply and all 8 Feodums. Has anyone else been able to get Feodums to the max of 13? Do you think the Scrying Pool Engine could have been faster? I personally don't see it but I'm curious to see what you all think.

manthos88

• Bishop
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
Re: Ever seen 12 point Feodums?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 08:20:26 pm »

If there was trashing, yes. The Scrying Pool engine would be very strong against the Feodum player, because it would probably play 3-4 Thieves per turn. But, like this... i don't think it is. Expand can trash, but it won't do much. It also looks too slow to be set up. Seems to me that, by the time this engine will start kicking, the Feodum player will already be raking the Silvers and will have bought at least half of the Feoda.

Masterpiece-Feodum definitely looks like the best choice on this board. Watchtower also synegizes very well with Masterpiece: Just buy a Masterpiece with a Watchtower in hand and you will realise the awesomeness :D (Watchtower-trash the Masterpiece, Watchtower- top-deck the Silvers gained, buy good stuff next turn -probably another Masterpiece in this case).
Just give me a mega-turn engine and take my soul...

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 08:40:14 pm »

Plus the Provinces aren't uncontested. Once the Feoda are gone, all the Silvers will let the Feodum player get Provinces too. Masterpiece/Feodum is for sure the best thing here.

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 08:42:55 pm »

I might say the same thing, but boy does this engine look nice. SCSN has proven on multiple occasions that the draw power of the Pool is not to be doubted, and the spy attack of the pool will make the Jesters and Thieves more dangerous than usual. An interesting approach might be to use Jester on Masterpiece to limit the number of masterpiece plays the Feodum player could try. At the very least, Jester could be a curser if it hit Feodum.

The real problem is indeed the trashing. Expand is brutally slow. Watchtower is nice. Actually, Watchtower allows for an interesting trick for the engine player: Buying a big masterpiece and trashing the silvers.

There are several ways for the engine to fight back. Could someone play this through and see when the engine would come into its own?

azadin

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 10:12:42 am »

Watchtower also synegizes very well with Masterpiece: Just buy a Masterpiece with a Watchtower in hand and you will realise the awesomeness :D (Watchtower-trash the Masterpiece, Watchtower- top-deck the Silvers gained, buy good stuff next turn -probably another Masterpiece in this case).

I did this on turn 8  :D

I might say the same thing, but boy does this engine look nice. SCSN has proven on multiple occasions that the draw power of the Pool is not to be doubted, and the spy attack of the pool will make the Jesters and Thieves more dangerous than usual. An interesting approach might be to use Jester on Masterpiece to limit the number of masterpiece plays the Feodum player could try. At the very least, Jester could be a curser if it hit Feodum.

The real problem is indeed the trashing. Expand is brutally slow. Watchtower is nice. Actually, Watchtower allows for an interesting trick for the engine player: Buying a big masterpiece and trashing the silvers.

There are several ways for the engine to fight back. Could someone play this through and see when the engine would come into its own?

Do you think the engine allows for enough thief plays to actually keep up with the Masterpiece/Feodum player? I mean, once you get going, you are gaining 5-7 silvers per turn. Sure, thieves could reduce the number of victory points, but playing the thieves means you aren't playing something else that could get you points and end the game.

If the engine player was able to produce enough buys with Festival with a watchtower in hand, he could conceivably trash the entire pile of masterpieces which would destroy the Masterpiece/Feodum player. I'm just not sure setting that up would happen before the M/F player already gains enough silvers to have a commanding lead.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 05:46:57 pm »
+1

The engine player doesn't want to end the game. He wants to destroy the Feodum player's economy and source of VP.

The real question is, how many non-Feodum VP can the Feodum player amass before his economy is gone?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 20 queries.