Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: GokoDom III: Round 6 Discussion Thread  (Read 28033 times)

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
Re: GokoDom III: Round 6 Discussion Thread
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 08:34:47 pm »

Good luck to you too, maybe with 9 points we can still make it to top 16 (if Kirian was not lying about 5+ have chance).

markowkette estimated that qualifying for the playoffs will require 11 points, or 10 with a strong tiebreaker. This sounds about right to me, looking at the standings after round 5: The player ranked 16th (me!) has 8 points and a weak tiebreaker, so assuming average play by everyone after that, 10 points and a weak tiebreaker is right on the boundary. If you have 9 points after 6 rounds, a win in round 7 should give you a very good chance of making the top 16.
Ok, so we are out with 7 after round 6. Kirian probably gave false hope to all thos 5 points after round 5.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 08:37:36 pm »

He only has 7 points, he's counting on winning the last match to get to 9. It's possible that could get him into the top 16, but it's a long shot I think.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 09:44:27 pm »

The very crude approximation I'm using is, take the number of people with the same number of points as you or higher. Assuming a win in round 6 and round 7, divide that by 4. That's your rough rank if everything goes well.

So for me, I have 6 points after round 5. There are 48 people with 6 points or higher. If I win my remaining rounds, I'll be roughly in the top 12. This is pretty optimisitic. The model works by assuming everyone with >= 6 points has 6 points, then places you in the top half if you get a win.

A more accurate model would figure out how many people have >= 8 points after round 6, then divide that by 2 for the final round. 17 people already have 8 points or more. In a worst case scenario (everyone with 7 points ties, everyone with 6 points wins or loses), there are 36 people who have 8 points or more after round 6, which makes the cutoff for top 16 after round 7 be 10 points with tiebreaker.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 10:16:33 pm »

However, many people will already have 9+ after this round, which makes it harder to get into the top 16. I estimate about 20 people with 10+ points.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 11:04:51 pm »
+2

I think Kirian was being technically correct about 5 points after round 5 having a chance of top 16. If enough people with 6 points tie this round, then there will be lots of people with 7 points instead of 8 points before the final round, and that might push the top 16 cutoff to 9 points.

This is unlikely enough that it probably won't happen.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2014, 12:39:43 pm »
+4

Round 6 : TheMirrorMan vs. Simon (DK) :

Let's make it a game of ... "Simon says".

Game 1 : "Simon says ... Get your grand markets!" - Simon (DK) wins.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140404/log.50785f090cf28ed55d9d72bf.1396621079463.txt

Code: [Select]
Lighthouse, Lookout, Workshop, Count, Counterfeit, Highway, Junk Dealer, Mystic, Grand Market, Expand
So let's have a look at this. Key cards are going to be Highway and Grand Market. Support for Highway in Workshop (1 Highway > extra Highway, 2 Highways > Grand Market, 4 Highways > Province). Expand may play a role. For + buy Counterfeit is possible.

Second, you want to get that deck cleaned up. Junk Dealer, Lookout and Count can help with that - my plan is Junk Dealer asap to keep my deck rolling instead of the lookout. I don't want a count, because I want Workshop as terminal. I open Silver/Silver.

Simon wants to get the deck clean quicker. Silver/Lookout.

From what follows, I have to admit that the Silver/lookout seems more appealing, because we are playing with Shelters.

He follows up with a quick counterfeit instead of a Junk Dealer. Again, good call - he uses them to get to GMs quicker. I pick one up way too late.

I thought this was going to be tight, but I have to admit that his strategy is just plain out better.

In the end I can't go for provinces so go for Duchies. The moment his deck starts stalling I pull out a mega turn, but miscalculate (1 point too little). But I think the game was lost anyways, he would have probably picked up the last province.

Game 2 : "Simon says ... Go for the platinum!" - TheMirrorMan wins.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140404/log.50785f090cf28ed55d9d72bf.1396622356861.txt

Stonemason, Scrying Pool, Loan, Watchtower, Taxman, Contraband, Mandarin, Mystic, Forge, King's Court
This is a colony board with not much happening to get to $9 quickly. KC + SP are screaming for an action board, but only with Forge/Loan for trashing and Mystic for +$ ... I don't know. And no +buy.

This probably explains Simon's choice : Silver/Taxman into Big Money.

I think long and hard (so does he) and come up with something interesting. Potion/Watchtower. Wait, what ?!

Well, the watchtower will do three things :
1) Topdeck the SPs.
2) When buying a Stonemason, trash the Stonemason (but keep one in the deck for point 3)
3) Use stonemason on the estates, turning them into coppers, trashing the coppers.

Okay, now where to get money from ? Well, KC + Mystic and some remaining money.

I stock up on a lot of SPs until I get to $7, then take 2 Mystics with Stonemason and then take the KC. With 7 SPs in the deck, I am capable to interfere with his top cards each turn and his Taxman in the end doesn't hurt my action deck anymore. He is indeed quicker to the platinum, but my deck picks up a colony each turn in the end while he is struggling with the forge he bought. I win.

Game 3 : "Simon says : Junk your opponent!" - TheMirrorMan wins.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140404/log.50785f090cf28ed55d9d72bf.1396623093359.txt

Beggar, Vagrant, Doctor, Smugglers, Sea Hag, Cultist, Junk Dealer, Library, Royal Seal, Forge
Not really a deck you want to see as second player. So much junking with Cultist and Sea Hag, so expensive to trash. Doctor is there, yes as a (very) soft counter to the Sea Hag. I don't think it's a good call here, with all the ruins, unless you have $8+ ... And it's a colony board!

Simon open Smuggler/Sea Hag. Understandable : he wants to pick up the Cultists that I buy. However, I have stopped buying two terminals before the reshuffle, so I go Silver/Sea Hag and pick up a Smuggler after that.

Lucky draw in turn 3 gives him a Cultist - damn. That is going to hurt. I only get to $5 at turn 10 but then forget to pick up a Cultist and go Junk Dealer immediately.

I lose the ruins split badly (9/1) but then get a lucky turn where I can trash a cultist that I bought and get to $11 (with Silvers and coppers !!!). In the meantime, curses and ruins are gone and the vagrants are running low ... So I can pick up the last 2 vagrants to end the game.

I think I was extremily lucky here.

Game 4 : "Simon says : Ventures for the win!" - TheMirrorMan wins

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140404/log.50785f090cf28ed55d9d72bf.1396623516532.txt

Chancellor, Masterpiece, Pirate Ship, Taxman, Butcher, Cultist, Mandarin, Minion, Venture, Grand Market
Again a cultist game with only Butcher to trash stuff, which is very slow. Minion is an option, but I don't believe in a junked deck with Minions. Neither does Simon.

Simon opens nothing in turn 1 so yeah ... that's going to be a Cultist already. Aargh.
I open Silver and ... yes, Chancellor! I want to be able to play the Cultists by discarding the deck as much as possible. Yes it will hurt the Cultist/BM but you need to do something.

Fortunately I can pick up a Cultist turn 3 and discard my deck. Yet it's not going smoothly enough.

What follows is weird : split in ruins is 5/5 and Simon gets very disproportionate hands : $8 and then $4 and repeat. Nothing inbetween.

The $8s are used to buy provinces (who wouldn't ?) and $4 for Silver. I decide that I need some extra Cultists and Ventures to get through my deck and skip the trash.

He's up three provinces but then his deck starts stalling. I think (as he was amazed losing afterwards - honestly, I was amazed that I won this too), that after the first province, he should have picked up more Ventures and kept me trailing. I pick up more ventures and in the end hit $8 in a few consecutive turns and take the game. Really weird.

Thanks for the games Simon (DK). Hope to see you in the Dominion League!!!
Here comes the mirror man. Says he's a people fan.

MarkowKette

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2014, 10:56:05 pm »
+1

Game 2 : "Simon says ... Go for the platinum!" - TheMirrorMan wins.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140404/log.50785f090cf28ed55d9d72bf.1396622356861.txt

Stonemason, Scrying Pool, Loan, Watchtower, Taxman, Contraband, Mandarin, Mystic, Forge, King's Court
This is a colony board with not much happening to get to $9 quickly. KC + SP are screaming for an action board, but only with Forge/Loan for trashing and Mystic for +$ ... I don't know. And no +buy.

This probably explains Simon's choice : Silver/Taxman into Big Money.

I think long and hard (so does he) and come up with something interesting. Potion/Watchtower. Wait, what ?!

Well, the watchtower will do three things :
1) Topdeck the SPs.
2) When buying a Stonemason, trash the Stonemason (but keep one in the deck for point 3)
3) Use stonemason on the estates, turning them into coppers, trashing the coppers.

Okay, now where to get money from ? Well, KC + Mystic and some remaining money.

I stock up on a lot of SPs until I get to $7, then take 2 Mystics with Stonemason and then take the KC. With 7 SPs in the deck, I am capable to interfere with his top cards each turn and his Taxman in the end doesn't hurt my action deck anymore. He is indeed quicker to the platinum, but my deck picks up a colony each turn in the end while he is struggling with the forge he bought. I win.

I'm quite sure most people in this forum will agree that Potion Watchtower is not a weird opening at all on this board.
Maybe Potion/loan is as good. This is as clear of an engine board as you can get one. This board is designed to release the true power of Stonemason.
There even is +buy in contraband (even though you really dont need it and probably dont want it to get multi province turns).
You can very easily set such up with e.g. buying SM+ double 7 cost then stonemasoning them into 4 Golds next turn, draw them than stonemasoning 2 of them into 4 mandarins then draw them and stonemason one of them into two watchtowers then draw again (with 7 pools and one or two KC this should really not be an issue) and then king-forging  2* gold+mandarin and 1* mandarin +2 watchtower into 3 Colonies.
KC and stonemason just fasten up the engine building so amazingly fast and you really can't complain about not enough trashing here. Even a very stong BM enabler (which Taxman certainly is not!) wouldn't be able to compete.
In a mirror you would have to be very carefull about 3 pile endings.

And i really think even your straight single colony turn SP engine wants more stonemasons than only one. They don't really hurt that much in your draw and just give you so much more flexibility and end game controll.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:32:07 pm by MarkowKette »

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2014, 05:29:41 am »

EgorK - ravi 3½ - 1½

Game 1. EgorK - ravi 37:28

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140405/log.505d7a160cf2ef979299a48e.1396685582197.txt

Lighthouse, Shanty Town, Philosopher's Stone, Baron, Caravan, Catacombs, Embassy, Pillage, Hoard, Expand
Embassy-Hoard seems too strong here, especially with 5-2

Game 2. ravi - EgorK 34:23

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140405/log.505d7a160cf2ef979299a48e.1396686211253.txt

Market Square, Woodcutter, Baron, Nomad Camp, Scavenger, Butcher, Mandarin, Upgrade, Witch, Hunting Grounds
Seems like ravi's enginish is better here than my butcher BM

Game 3. ravi - EgorK 30:30

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140405/log.505d7a160cf2ef979299a48e.1396687015663.txt

Native Village, Market Square, Masterpiece, Swindler, Woodcutter, Throne Room, Trader, Saboteur, Wharf, Bank
Market Square is natural counter to both Swindler and Saboteur. I'm more heavy into draw while my opponent uses Banks to have double Province turn once. In the end I'm one coin short of clinching win so settle to tie

Game 4. EgorK - ravi Win:Resign

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140405/log.505d7a160cf2ef979299a48e.1396687800187.txt

Haven, Apothecary, Lookout, Noble Brigand, Plaza, Procession, Remake, Junk Dealer, Adventurer, Goons
Colony game, but this is completely irrelevant as there are tons of support for Apothecary/Plaza/Goons engine. All 3 cards works so well with one another it is just ridiculous. My opponent ignored Apothecary which was probably why I won

Game 5. EgorK - ravi Win:Resign

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140405/log.505d7a160cf2ef979299a48e.1396688827726.txt

Haven, Lighthouse, Forager, Storeroom, Tunnel, Fortress, Procession, Wandering Minstrel, Harvest, Royal Seal
Storeroom/Tunnel is very strong here. Procession/Fortress is generally very strong as well but with only $5 action being Harvest it is not that appealing. In the end I bough more than half points available and my opponent resigns

ravi, thanks for games and good luck in last round
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 05:46:41 am by EgorK »

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2014, 10:25:24 am »

Nice streaming. I am sorry you get beaten up like that in the chat, but I am sure almost everyone would.

Yeah it was very clear from me ever since the first time I made a video that this community likes to point out things I could have done better. If you put your games out there, that's what you're going to get back. I'm pretty used to it by now and I consider it among the highest compliments when I can play an entire game with people like Stef and WW watching and not have my play critiqued  :D
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2014, 10:35:11 am »
+6

Nice streaming. I am sorry you get beaten up like that in the chat, but I am sure almost everyone would.

Yeah it was very clear from me ever since the first time I made a video that this community likes to point out things I could have done better. If you put your games out there, that's what you're going to get back. I'm pretty used to it by now and I consider it among the highest compliments when I can play an entire game with people like Stef and WW watching and not have my play critiqued  :D
I think this kind of thing is very common for strategic games. You see it some in chess broadcasts, with people ripping Grandmasters for playing bad moves (of course, this is a bit ridiculous, but thanks to computer chess engines, it's possible for a common fan to see mistakes of players much better than them reasonably often). You see it a LOT in e.g. Magic broadcasts. Basically, it seems very natural to recommend advice - viewers like to play vicariously through the streamer; basically the game is about the decisions you make (well, luck too), and so people can figure out what they would do. It's a great thing, really, because a lot of people can get a lot of enjoyment out of the same game, even when not playing, and the discussion makes things more fun and interesting, but at the same time, if you're going to be streaming, you need to understand that this is going to happen, and at least for the most part, this isn't really meant as a negative kind of criticism.

Indeed, I think Mic Q put it very well in my stream earlier this week - I don't remember his exact phrasing, but towards the end of one of my games, I played Ghost Ship when I should have played Courtyard (Ghost ship being a better Stonemason target, and I was likely ending the game that turn); he pointed this out and then added something like "Of course, I say this here watching the stream, and it's obvious, but if I were playing, probably I would make the same mistake" (I use quotation marks here, but it's a paraphrase). And this is on the spot - viewers give advice, but it's (often) a lot easier when you're sitting there watching than actually under the stress of playing.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2014, 11:34:58 am »
+1

There's also just a gigantic bias in what gets expressed for the simple reason that making the plays that are obviously correct—and to a better player more correct plays are obvious—doesn't seem worth pointing out, if they even get consciously noticed at all. It's like when you're driving a car over a smooth highway. You're not thinking all the time "yes, good, this drive is smooth, the asphalt is nicely laid down, the ride is awesome" because you're not really noticing that. You are going to notice, though, the one time there's a nasty bump.

So when you get a Mountebank for your first $5, people just aren't going to cheer you on. If you decide to go for an Harvest, on the other hand...

And this.

Smartie

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2014, 12:16:51 pm »

Smartie vs RTT - Definitely luck was on my side :)

Round 1: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140405/log.5161606fe4b0ad9d06948a25.1396712333190.txt
Poor House, Apothecary, Scrying Pool, Scavenger, Scout, Jester, Market, Mint, Mystic, Soothsayer, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion

My approach was actually initially just to get scavenger and soothsayer together. However, RTT move of getting apothecary made me decide to change my plan. Turned out to be really good for me! We actually used very similar strategies except for turn 8 which he decided to buy market in an attempt to get apothecary and another card. That didnt turn out well for him as he didnt get his apothecaries with his market. Despite so, the scores were consistently close: Till to the point where whoever gets the last province wins. I got my golds together and bought the last province, allowing a small win

Round 2: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140405/log.5161606fe4b0ad9d06948a25.1396712809318.txt
Secret Chamber, Masquerade, Oasis, Oracle, Swindler, Caravan, Tournament, Worker's Village, Young Witch, Ill-Gotten Gains, Rebuild, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse

Well, masquerade and tournament requires lots of luck to make them work, and I did. 1. I got an early gold 2. My 2 masquerades did not clash and 3. My province keep meeting his tournaments. And so that was basically it

Round 3: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140405/log.5161606fe4b0ad9d06948a25.1396713206257.txt
Fishing Village, Masterpiece, Village, Noble Brigand, Sea Hag, Duke, Haggler, Harvest, Market, Bank, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse

The key cards were obviously sea hags and fishing villages. As all of you may already know, sea hags matches can be swingy if one discards the other sea hags on top deck. However, this time the curse split was quite even. On my first $5, I decided to buy a haggler while he decides to go immediately to duchy. When my haggler hits $4, I was actually beginning to think that I have made a bad choice, particularly there was no good $4. However, I decided to buy noble brigand, which may not be not a bad choice, as I could give him a copper and acquire a silver in my deck. My next haggler buy however, was I must say, beyond awesome! I managed to get $8 and get a gold! I dived the estates while he tries to get noble brigand to get my gold. As it didnt work the way he hoped, I got my little lucky victory :)

Good games RTT. Really enjoyed playing with you!

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2014, 12:18:35 pm »
+1

michaeljb vs soulnet

Game 1 - http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140405/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1396710445902.txt

Embargo, Trade Route, Tunnel, Coppersmith, Farming Village, Ironworks, Baker, Cartographer, Duke, Ill-Gotten Gains
I open Embargo/IGG, hoping to get lucky with the shuffle and cut off IGGs with the lead, but we end up with a couple curses each before the Embargo is down. I grab an Ironworks for Silvers, soulnet picks up some Trade Routes. He eventually puts an Embargo on the last Duchy when I have the split 4-3. Obviously the last Duchy is worth the Curse, and then we slowly pile out the Tunnels and Dukes.
michaeljb 38 - 33 soulnet

Game 2 - http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140405/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1396710809143.txt

Vineyard, Moat, Swindler, Cutpurse, Gardens, Ironmonger, JackOfAllTrades, Tournament, Graverobber, Mandarin
We both open Jack/Swindler, I get lucky with my first Swindler play, turning soulnet's turn 3 Ironmonger buy into Gardens while his first Swindler play just gives me a Curse. I'm able to get to Golds quicker and that's about it. I eventually bought a Tournament with 6, but the only time I managed to play it, a Gold would have given the same result.
soulnet 29 - 39 michaeljb

Game 3 - http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140405/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1396712107127.txt

Haven, Secret Chamber, Scrying Pool, Spy, Young Witch (bane: Sage), Butcher, City, Counterfeit, Border Village, Bank
I open 5/2 and I think I would have preferred 4/3. We open Counterfeit/Haven vs Young Witch/Sage and soulnet gets into Scrying Pools and more Sages much quicker than me, taking a serious Curse lead. I picked up a Butcher, some Border Villages, and a couple of Cities, but not enough Scrying Pools, and soulnet was eventually able to pile out Scrying Pools and Curses for the win.
soulnet 10 - 7 michaeljb

Game 4 - http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140405/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1396712819666.txt

Tunnel, Cutpurse, Quarry, City, Contraband, Governor, Graverobber, Hunting Party, Royal Seal, King's Court
Lots of craziness here with a +buy choke point. I think it's clear that with Quarry and so many good options at $5+, Contraband's +buy will make up for the purchasing restriction. Soulnet's first $5 goes to Hunting Party, mine to Contraband. Eventually I build up a fun King's Court/Hunting Party/Governor engine, picking up my 7 Provinces across two big turns for the match win.
michaeljb 55 - 31 soulnet
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Psyduck

• Bishop
  • Respect: +135
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2014, 02:17:48 pm »

Psyduck - markusin 3:1

Game 1
A tense game with Forager, Market Square, Governor and King's Court. Both of us get thin and strong decks quite fast, but markusin focuses stronger on Governors. In turn 13 I miss to buy a Colony as protection, and he punishes that mistake with three-piling the turn after, winning with one Duchy.

Game 2
Ambassador game with Highway, Scheme, Stonemason, Sea Hag and Rats. He starts with Amb/Sea Hag, I react to it with Amb/Rats. I manage to keep my deck thinner, and finally pass him my Rats. Thus I can win the Highway split 6-4 and have a much easier time connecting them, finally causing the win for me.

Game 3
Big Engine with Worker's Village, Catacombs, Junk Dealer, Bridge, Wishing Well, Jester and Squire. We go for the same stuff, except for markusin gets an early Jester which does not too much for him in this game, although it really should help gaining more engine components. I get an early advantage, hitting $5 twice in T3 and T4, while he gets only $4 and $5. My draws are also quite well, and then it snowballs for me. In T11 I needed $1 more to end it, which then happens the turn afterwards.

Game 4
Another interesting game with Fool's Gold, Horse Traders, Swindler, Steward, Spice Merchant and Black Market (with some nice cards in it like Goons, Soothsayer, Sea Hag).
This turns out to be a very tactical game. Normally, FG + Horse Traders is a good combination, but here Swindler can turn FGs into Estates, while Horse Traders reacts to Swindlers. Leaving all the FG to the opponent must be the wrong decision as well, so both of us go for FG and Swindler. He starts FG+HT, I get Swindler and Spice Merchant. He goes for the FG more aggressively and manages to get Provinces early, causing me to trash my FG in order to remove them as Swindler targets.
Later I can catch up with my Golds (which are actually hit by his Swindlers) and the Sea Hag I find in the Black Market. It's very close in the end, but I'm lucky enough to end it.

Thanks again for the games, markusin. I'm looking forward to watching your videos.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2014, 03:11:48 pm »

And this.

So my g/f was listening to this with me and her reaction was that she notices when roads are really smooth. She also doesn't like dominion. Hmmmm...
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2014, 03:56:17 pm »
+2

Psyduck said it all, but here are the videos.

Game 1:

Game 2:

Game 3:

Game 4:

All in all, very challenging games, Psyduck. Good luck with the rest of the tournament.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2014, 04:45:28 pm »
+2

amalloy 0-3 DG

You can watch the full match on Twitch, or watch each game individually using the links included with each game in this writeup.

Game 1 Log Video

Hamlet, Oasis, Storeroom, Ironmonger, Throne Room, Baker, Butcher, Merchant Ship, Outpost, Pillage
I see the lack of draw in this kingdom and recognize that Butcher-BM is probably best; so does my opponent. However, I make lots of mistakes playing it. I open Oasis to help me get to my Butcher more often, but later realize that if I'm discarding copper then my Oasis might as well be nothing at all. I also decide that in a Butcher-BM deck, the card I want the most of is...Baker? I was just too afraid of terminal collision, and too enamoured of the "free" coin tokens - if I'd gotten Butchers instead I might be in fine shape. Instead, my opponent's more focused deck wipes the floor with me.

amalloy 0-1 DG

Game 2 Log Video

Pearl Diver, Urchin, Nomad Camp, Pirate Ship, Rats, Remake, Treasure Map, Baker, Duke, Harem
I've never seen Remake/Rats/Duke before, but it seemed like it must be really good, especially with the Baker token to open with both Rats and Remake. DG has also never played it, but he comes to the same conclusion I do, and it's a mirror. I have to say I got some very bad early shuffles here, going through a 15-card deck with 4 rats and 2 remakes but not colliding rats/remake at all. DG was able to get three Duchies before I could even start, and that was game over for me. But...I don't mind losing so much when MarkowKette says in the chat that I played really well.

amalloy 0-2 DG

Game 3 Log Video

Moat, Bridge, Farming Village, Island, Remake, Silk Road, Contraband, Merchant Ship, Rabble, Saboteur
This looks like a Bridge engine for sure, and FV will be a hotly contested pile, since your terminal draw competes with your Bridges for actions. I feel like I was behind here from the start, with my Remake missing all my Estates in the first shuffle, while DG got to trash two Estates on turn 3. He gets a Contraband at one point, which I don't understand at all (and he trashes it after I block two key buys for him!), but other than that his play is very good. The endgame is close, with the game hanging in the balance for several turns, but I can't ever put together quite enough Bridges even to tie the game, despite one very lucky draw. A well-deserved win for DG, both of this game and the match.

amalloy 0-3 DG

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2014, 06:00:00 pm »

Just some brief comments for my match with Alan. Game #1 goes my way with good draws without a great deal of work. The oasis has a few drawbacks here for Alan. Game #2 was probably a unique game that won't come around very often (baker/rats/remake/duke) and I guess we were on the right track. I preferred urchin over silver as it gave more cycling and kept pressure on the hand size, but first turn advantage might have won me this too. Game #3 I messed up a bit with the contraband and some remake play but the turning point was after the villages (key cards) split and I chose a big drawing deck over a bridge heavy deck. Five villages each sounds a lot but we both needed more to get a really good deck.

Good luck in the next round Alan. I hope you won your friendlies tonight.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:01:10 pm by DG »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2014, 07:00:17 pm »

I should follow amalloy's example of providing links to my videos instead of embedding them into the thread. Sorry about that guys.

JOG

• Baron
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2014, 01:20:01 pm »
+1

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140406/log.516d321ae4b082c74d7b345d.1396800811717.txt
Horn of plenty mega turn game. He doesn't hit 5 after first shuffle.  Also, I found out during chat after match that his single spice merchant didn't have a copper target twice.  Both of my spice merchants always had a target.

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140406/log.516d321ae4b082c74d7b345d.1396801864073.txt
Herald mirror with support from butchers, tournaments, courtyards, and journeymen.  The difference in this game, in my opinion, came from his first prize choice.  I think it should have been trusty steed  instead of followers.  The discard attack didn't hurt me much, and it junks both of our decks equally.

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140406/log.516d321ae4b082c74d7b345d.1396802571227.txt
Torturers, ironmongers, altar.  No reliable villages, but I think torturer chain is better than torturer money here.  It's possible to get a high action density with help from altar.  I considered getting a single merchant guild, but I think a reliable torturer chain was more important.  I think I was somewhat lucky hitting action cards with ironmonger.

Thanks for the match gamesou.
Three interesting boards.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:30:14 pm by JOG »

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2014, 01:51:20 pm »
+1

So here are the videos from my match with smartie.
I realy feel like there was just a inch of luck deciding in game 1 and 3 and the second i lost because of awesome shuffleluck for smartie in a tournament masq deck. I dont know if i could have done everything different to win any of this matches. Well i hope you can enjoy the videos anyways.

Gokodom vs. Smartie Game 1

Game 2

Game3

Anyways Smartie was a very good and nice opponent and i wish him all the best for his next round and hope we can meet again to maybe play some engine boards.

MarkowKette

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2014, 02:21:45 pm »

It seems like RNG really didn't want you to win this round.  :(

hdu88

• Navigator
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
    • Youtube account
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2014, 05:23:50 pm »

hdu88 vs M0G3L
Game 1
Candlestick Maker, Advisor, Baron, Horse Traders, Monument, Counterfeit, Margrave, Merchant Ship, Saboteur, PossessionWe start with a Colony/Shelter game. This one's pretty straightforward, and we mirror each other's strategies for a while. I make a crucial mistake on Turn 6 when I autopilot trash a Copper, instead of trashing Silver to buy Platinum. My opponent can't seem to connect either of his Counterfeits with his big treasures, and I get a big lead, only to have the lead evaporated by some last-minute YOLO plays on his part (breaking PPR after following PCR for the longest time). He completes the comeback and ends the game in a draw.

57-57
0.5-0.5

Game 2
Transmute, Lighthouse, Scrying Pool, Masterpiece, Horse Traders, Rats, Talisman, Baker, Graverobber, FairgroundsHe goes for Big Money Baker with Masterpiece support, while I go for a Scrying Pool engine with Rats as trashing (which only works in a Scrying Pool engine AFAIK). The problem with my strategy is that Rats kinda sits there like Ruins, which makes it WAY worse in a Scrying Pool deck than Pearl Diver, for instance. I can get maybe one double Province turn with this engine if I'm lucky, and then it breaks down. As it turns out, this is pretty close to what actually happened. I wish I had time to buy more Pools, but Baker BM is too fast. Also, Fairgrounds is NOT always automatically 4 points.

18-42
0.5-1.5

Game 3
Scrying Pool, Wishing Well, Ironmonger, Remodel, Taxman, Trader, Baker, Contraband, Witch, King's CourtAnother Colony board. I had big plans for this one. I opened Silver/Witch to his Ironmonger/Remodel, which let me win the Curse split 3-7. I was going to chain Remodels into Baker and KC which would let me eventually buy a Colony every turn. That did not happen at all. We were both remodeling Curse into Estate, so the Curse, Estate, and Ironmonger piles all got depleted in the blink of an eye and my Curse split victory translated to a points victory.

4-0
1.5-1.5

Game 4
Transmute, Sage, Workshop, Bishop, Coppersmith, Fortress, Spy, Bandit Camp, Saboteur, WharfBishop/Fortress board with Wharf for draw. My opponent got some early Bishops, which translated to a ~10 point lead and slightly better trashing. I was more interested in setting up the draw engine while sniping Fortress because that felt like the split I needed to win. I ended up with 6 Fortress 4 Bishop 3 Wharf, which let me get consistent 12-point turns vs his 4 Fortress 4 Bishop 3 Wharf which doesn't. After that, I coasted to an easy 3-pile victory.

48-39
2.5-1.5

Game 5
Native Village, Lookout, Envoy, Cache, Cartographer, Explorer, Graverobber, Harvest, Rebuild, King's CourtRebuild board :( I open Silver Envoy to maximize the chances of hitting $5 on Turn 3 and to hopefully get a god draw cycle into Turn 4 Rebuild. Naturally I get 4-4 on my first reshuffle. But wait! My opponent's Rebuild misses his second reshuffle, and I'm back in the game! Then Turns 9 and 10 happen to me, and it's over.

21-30
2.5-2.5

Game 6
Moat, Native Village, Black Market, Great Hall, Masquerade, Noble Brigand, Throne Room, Young Witch, Cultist, Minion, GoonsI notice that there's some good stuff in the Black Market, but everything I need is already on the board. My opponent doesn't notice that we start with a coin token and goes Masquerade/Silver instead of Masquerade/Minion. He racks up Minions early while I get an early Goons and some Native Village and Throne Room action. In the end my late Young Witch beats his later Young Witch, letting me win with several double Goons turns. I feel like I got kinda lucky to play Minion as much as I did, given I had 3 Minions and he had 5.

37-10
3.5-2.5

hdu88 wins

Feedback appreciated, especially on my atrocious Rebuild play.

Thanks for the matches M0G3L, and good luck in the final round. Some of those matches were nail-biters, and I think you make some good plays to keep yourself in the game.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 05:39:11 pm by hdu88 »
"He looks like he doesn't know what he's doing, and then he wins."

hdu88

• Navigator
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
    • Youtube account
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2014, 06:05:43 pm »

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140406/log.516d321ae4b082c74d7b345d.1396801864073.txt
Herald mirror with support from butchers, tournaments, courtyards, and journeymen.  The difference in this game, in my opinion, came from his first prize choice.  I think it should have been trusty steed or princess instead of followers.  The discard attack didn't hurt me much, and it junks both of our decks equally.

Well, he couldn't take Princess because YOU ALREADY TOOK IT. I feel like Trusty Steed vs Followers is close, but Trusty Steed is better here because Butcher beats a Followers slog, as you demonstrated.
"He looks like he doesn't know what he's doing, and then he wins."

JOG

• Baron
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2014, 08:31:05 pm »

Herald mirror with support from butchers, tournaments, courtyards, and journeymen.  The difference in this game, in my opinion, came from his first prize choice.  I think it should have been trusty steed or princess instead of followers.  The discard attack didn't hurt me much, and it junks both of our decks equally.

Well, he couldn't take Princess because YOU ALREADY TOOK IT. I feel like Trusty Steed vs Followers is close, but Trusty Steed is better here because Butcher beats a Followers slog, as you demonstrated.

My mistake.  Fixed it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.