Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: About Bridge/Princess/Highway/Quarry...  (Read 5744 times)

Nik

• Baron
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
About Bridge/Princess/Highway/Quarry...
« on: March 31, 2014, 08:12:52 am »

I don't understand why these 4 similar cards cost $4 or more, when they are just silver or less. Aren't Bridge and Princess Woodcutters? Isn't Highway '+1 card +1 action +1'? And isn't Quarry Gold-for-Actions? Sure, they might give a little boost with Swindler and Workshop, but otherwise I find them weak at their prices. Am I wrong?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
Re: About Bridge/Princess/Highway/Quarry...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 08:43:21 am »

They tend to be best when you have multiple buys or have certain gainers.  Less frequently, highway can be paired with cards like Knights or Smugglers.

Famous combos include King's Court + Bridge.  A hand of KC, KC, Bridge, Bridge, Bridge is game over; the cost of Provinces drops to $0 and you have 10 buys.

Highway + Market is a similar combo.  Even if you just add in, say, a Moneylender.  You trash away all your Coppers and soon you will play your entire deck each turn.  If you can get 7 Highways into play then Provinces will be $1 each and you can buy them all the remaining ones at once, and probably most of the Duchies too.

Quarry can behave similarly.  If you have two Quarries in play, then $5 actions are just $1 a piece and you can often pick up as many as you have buys to spare.
Well you *do* need a signature...

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 08:54:52 am »
+2

If you play a single bridge and buy two cards then the bridge has given +1 coin and saved 2 coins. If you play two bridges and buy three cards then the bridges have given +2 coins and saved 6 coins. If you play three bridges and buy four cards then the bridges have given +3 coins and saved 12 coins.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 08:56:26 am »
+2

Also, this isn't a rules question, should be in General Discussion I think.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 09:02:16 am »
+4

I think my explanation jumped to combos to quickly.  Here's a simpler idea.  Highway is roughly a cantrip which gives one coin per buy used this turn.

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 09:54:30 am »
+2

All of theses "cost reducers" play a somewhat similarly, and it did take me a little while to really understand when and how to use them. Highway seems like a great card when you have dreams of getting Provinces for free, but is effectively +1 card, +1 action, +$1 if you're only gaining one card a turn - strictly worse than Market!

The key to cost reducers is extra buys. Cost reduction works on every card you buy, so buying multiple cards utilizes the cost reduction multiple times. Buying just 1 card with a Highway in play will save you $1, but buying 4 cards will save you $4.

This is why Highway can sometimes be a trap - without extra buys or some kind of gaining payload, the bonus alone is quite weak for a $5-cost card. Combo it with extra buys or gainers, though, and you've got a deck that can pick up Provinces along with some free actions to help in the endgame. Bridge is great because it has the cost reduction and the extra buy built in, which is perfect for picking up lots of cheap (now even cheaper) cards. I'd say I more often use Quarry to regularly pick up expensive actions, rather than lots of cheap actions. Its lack of +buy or drawing means that sometimes you can't put the cost reduction to work on multiple buys. Princess is quite strong because she has that extra buy with the cost reduction - if you use both buys, you'll effectively get +$4, which is awesome.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 09:57:59 am »
+1

I think my explanation jumped to combos to quickly.  Here's a simpler idea.  Highway is roughly a cantrip which gives one coin per buy used this turn.

Yes, this. Forget about combos at the start, just look at how many buys you use.

Bridge is +1 buy, +$3 if you buy 2 cards, (which it in itself allows you to). That's already better than a descent $5 card would be. If you buy 3 cards this turn, Bridge is +1 buy, +$4.

Princess is similar to Bridge. Sure it's a Woodcutter if you only buy 1 card, but it gives the +buy, so assuming you buy 2 cards, it's now +$4. If you buy 3 cards, it's +$6!

Highway is more comparable to Peddler than Bridge or Princess. +1 card, +1 action, +$1 would be a descent $4 card. There are many variations on this in the game; most of them cost $5 because they have a small advantage over that basic card. Market gives a buy. Treasury can go back on top of your deck for next turn. Junk Dealer lets you trash a card. And Highway gives 2 separate advantages: it's $1 for each card you buy, instead of just $1 total; and it has a number of combos such as being able to Remodel a Copper into a $5 card after playing 3 of them, or being able to Ironworks a $5 card after playing just 1 of them.

Quarry - even if it were just a Gold-for-actions, that alone I think would be worth $4. In most games, most of your buys are going to be action cards. That's a Gold for $4 instead of for $6. Of course, it has the drawback of being a Copper when you want to buy a Victory card or Treasure. But on top of that, it's +$5 if you're buying 2 action cards. +$7 if you're buying 3 action cards.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 01:06:19 pm »

On Quarry: Don't forget how grabbing a pair of quarries makes picking up Grand Market much more trivial.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 01:09:34 pm »

I don't understand why these 4 similar cards cost $4 or more, when they are just silver or less. Aren't Bridge and Princess Woodcutters? Isn't Highway '+1 card +1 action +1'? And isn't Quarry Gold-for-Actions? Sure, they might give a little boost with Swindler and Workshop, but otherwise I find them weak at their prices. Am I wrong?

You are extremely wrong. Play three Workers Villages and then four Bridges. Then tell me if the effect is the same "or less" than playing 4 Silvers.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 01:25:14 pm »
+1

I love this post, it reminds me of me just a few years back.

They cost as much as they do because they are make it easier to buy more than 1 useful card each turn.
Since the cost-lowering effect carries over to all cards, having more buys lets you make full use of them.

It takes 6 Silvers (giving you $12) to buy 1 Colony (which costs $11).
If you play 6 Bridges, the costs are lowered by $6 for all cards, you get 6 Buys and $6.
Colony now costs $5 so you can buy 1 and have $1 left.
But guess what? Duchies are now free! So you can get 1 Colony and 5 Duchies whereas the Silvers would only get you one Colony.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 02:00:10 pm »
+5

Famous combos include King's Court + Bridge.  A hand of KC, KC, Bridge, Bridge, Bridge is game over; the cost of Provinces drops to $0 and you have 10 buys.

The first time I connected these was in a three-player game. I picked up all the Provinces and then realized...wait, this doesn't end the game if there are twelve Provinces! I had to put two back, and felt quite let down by this famous combo.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 02:02:51 pm »
+4

The first time I connected these was in a three-player game. I picked up all the Provinces and then realized...wait, this doesn't end the game if there are twelve Provinces! I had to put two back, and felt quite let down by this famous combo.

Drew KC-KC-Bridge-Bridge-Bridge
<First-world problems lady>
Realized it was a three-player game with 12 Provinces

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 02:07:29 pm »
+2

My first time irl was with a newer player (it was a randomly generated amazing engine board with the combo), and when I pulled it off, he said, "I was just managing to get an engine going for the first time..."

My second time was online where my opponent said "lucky" and left right afterwards.  After I had drawn my whole deck and gotten unlucky with the few cards I needed being at the bottom.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 09:57:59 pm »

On the other hand, 60 points is a lock on at worst a tie in a 3-player game as well (ignoring trashing of starting Estates)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 11:18:14 pm »
+1

I think questions like this are ok.   Often if the power level of a card seems grossly off to you, it is because you misunderstand a rule. 

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 01:54:38 am »
+2

I think questions like this are ok.   Often if the power level of a card seems grossly off to you, it is because you misunderstand a rule.

Question about Scout... can it draw any Treasure cards that it finds in addition to Victory cards? I know it's not specified on the card itself, but I figured it must work that way because no card could really be that bad.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 06:52:06 am »
+2

Question about Scout... can it draw any Treasure cards that it finds in addition to Victory cards? I know it's not specified on the card itself, but I figured it must work that way because no card could really be that bad.

That's absurd!  But I think you're supposed to reveal the top four cards of your opponent's deck and take any Victory Cards.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 12:35:12 pm »
+4

No, it says 'put the revealed victory cards into your hand'. Since you can see the top Colony, Province, Duchy, and Estate cards, plus the top of any Kingdom victory cards, you clearly must have to take one of each of those when you play Scout. That's why it's ranked #1.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.