Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Black Market Setup  (Read 4452 times)

mattmillburn

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
Black Market Setup
« on: March 30, 2014, 10:23:09 pm »

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, I'm new here and didn't see any threads about it. I just completed my Dominion set with all the expansions and all the promo cards. I'm thinking I should use the randomizer cards for my black market deck so that I could have every card in the deck without taking a lot of time. I then could switch them out with the regular cards every time somebody buys one. I'm trying to think of all the cards that have special setups. I'm thinking Young Witch needs a Bane card, with Baker everybody gets a coin, with Trade Route I need to put tokens on the victory cards, and I need to make sure a potion card is in the setup. Are there any other special setup cards that I am missing?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
Re: Black Market Setup
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 10:33:12 pm »
+1

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, I'm new here and didn't see any threads about it. I just completed my Dominion set with all the expansions and all the promo cards. I'm thinking I should use the randomizer cards for my black market deck so that I could have every card in the deck without taking a lot of time. I then could switch them out with the regular cards every time somebody buys one. I'm trying to think of all the cards that have special setups. I'm thinking Young Witch needs a Bane card, with Baker everybody gets a coin, with Trade Route I need to put tokens on the victory cards, and I need to make sure a potion card is in the setup. Are there any other special setup cards that I am missing?

Ruins as well.  Anything else (I think) you can do when you buy the card.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 10:36:32 pm »
+2

I suggest limiting the Black Market to 15-25 cards... it make set-up less insane and adds more 'planning' to using it.  Dominion Online uses 25, which I think is pretty nice. 

These cards require special rules:
Embargo, Bishop, Monument, Goons, Candlestick Maker, Plaza, Baker, Butcher, Merchant Guild (tokens)
Native Village, Island, Pirate Ship(mats)
Trade Route (tokens & mats)
Transmute, Vineyard, Apothecary, Scrying Pool, University, Alchemist, Familiar, Philosopher's Stone, Golem, Possession (Potions)
Tournament (Prizes)
Young Witch (Bane)
Hermit (Madmen)
Urchin (Mercenaries)
Death Cart, Cultist (Ruins)
Bandit Camp, Pillage (Spoils)
Marauder (Ruins & Spoils)
Knights (Choose a random Knight)
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 10:42:51 pm »
+1

I suggest limiting the Black Market to 15-25 cards... it make set-up less insane and adds more 'planning' to using it.  Dominion Online uses 25, which I think is pretty nice. 

Embargo, Bishop, Monument, Goons, Candlestick Maker, Plaza, Baker, Butcher, Merchant Guild (tokens)
Transmute, Vineyard, Apothecary, Scrying Pool, University, Alchemist, Familiar, Philosopher's Stone, Golem, Possession (Potions)
Tournament (Prizes)
Young Witch (Bane)
Hermit (Madmen)
Urchin (Mercenaries)

You don't need most of those out if it's in the Black Market deck.  Just take it out when you buy that card.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

mattmillburn

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 12:57:23 am »

I actually think it would be faster for me to use the whole deck because the randomizer deck would be ready and it would take longer to choose the Black Market deck then to do all the other things necessary for set up. I think you have a good point for planning, but I kind of like the idea of having every card in the game.

Thanks for pointing out Knights. Knights should be interesting. I think I'll use the randomizer Knight and if it comes up the player could choose a Knight at random from the Knight pile.

Tournament (Prizes)
    Young Witch (Bane)
    Hermit (Madmen)
    Urchin (Mercenaries)

You don't need most of those out if it's in the Black Market deck.  Just take it out when you buy that card.

I think that's a good point. I probably only want to add cards that change the initial setup. Thanks for the Ruins tip. I'll add that, because somebody could buy that although I don't think I have ever seen anybody buy a Ruins.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 03:06:44 am »

There's another trick you can use, which I think was originally suggested by Donald X.  Instead of using the special randomizer cards, just use one regular copy of each card.  Randomly choose 10 of those, then you can fish out the other 9 copies of each card.  If you have every expansion and promo, this cuts out 205 cards from needing to be carried around.  As a bonus, your Black Market deck is all ready to go.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 03:44:54 am »
+3

I actually think it would be faster for me to use the whole deck because the randomizer deck would be ready and it would take longer to choose the Black Market deck then to do all the other things necessary for set up. I think you have a good point for planning, but I kind of like the idea of having every card in the game.

If you've already randomised the randomiser deck, is it much more work to pull around 25 cards off the top?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 07:19:06 am »
+2

If you've already randomised the randomiser deck, is it much more work to pull around 25 cards off the top?
You can even just pull a chunk without having to count them.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 07:57:24 am »

You can even just pull a chunk without having to count them.

These are both good ideas, but then you'll need to randomize again after looking through your choices to determine setup conditions.
Well you *do* need a signature...

mattmillburn

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 11:31:34 am »

There's another trick you can use, which I think was originally suggested by Donald X.  Instead of using the special randomizer cards, just use one regular copy of each card.  Randomly choose 10 of those, then you can fish out the other 9 copies of each card.  If you have every expansion and promo, this cuts out 205 cards from needing to be carried around.  As a bonus, your Black Market deck is all ready to go.

I think this is an excellent idea for people who use the randomizer cards to determine which cards they are playing with. I prefer using my Dominion Shuffle app. In this case using randomizer cards for the Black Market Deck would be better. Space isn't too much of an issue for me because I have all my cards stored in one case that I bought from Hobby Lobby.

Also, when I said that I think it would be faster to use all the cards, the reason I say this is because I could just have the same consistent set-up every time. I wouldn't have to look through the Black Market deck to see which cards need a special set-up. But this isn't even the main reason I want to play with all the cards. I want to play with all the cards because I think it's interesting to have every card in the deck.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 11:35:05 am »

You should also be aware that certain cards behave very strangely if they are in the Black Market deck, and you might not want to put them in for that reason. Some ones you may want to watch:

Peddler
Treasure Map
Fool's Gold
Tournament
Cultist
Rats
Transmute
Knights
Fairgrounds
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

mattmillburn

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 11:46:36 am »

You should also be aware that certain cards behave very strangely if they are in the Black Market deck, and you might not want to put them in for that reason. Some ones you may want to watch:

Peddler
Treasure Map
Fool's Gold
Tournament
Cultist
Rats
Transmute
Knights
Fairgrounds

Wow, fairgrounds would be an amazingly valuable card if it was in the supply with a Black Market.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 11:52:18 am »

Fairgrounds in the Supply with Black Market around is just a very valuable Supply card, and that's fine. Fairgrounds in the Black Market deck is a very valuable card that only one person can get.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 12:08:16 pm »
+1

Just as a side thought, one of the things my group does when playing with Black Market is to choose one large expansion (or both Cornucopia and Guilds) and make that the Black Market with nothing from that expansion in the supply. Works well without having to use the randomizers.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 01:02:47 pm »

Black Market setup issues, because you needed another reason to exclude it from IRL tournaments.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.