Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Writing a novel! (The Broken Globe)  (Read 17229 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Writing a novel! (The Broken Globe)
« on: March 30, 2014, 05:30:36 pm »
+4

So yeah, I'm writing a novel!  I've gotten to ~64K words at this point (as of this post), and I would love it if you guys would read it and give me feedback!

It's called The Broken Globe.  The main gist is that three siblings go on a quest for a mystical artifact.  I know that sounds cliche, but there's definitely more to it, but most of that is not so much the setup as the plot.  The setup is quite simple, I'll grant you.  They fight monsters, meet interesting people, combat natural disasters, and have philosophical debates on the nature of, well, nature, among other things.  But there is more!  There is intrigue and foreshadowing and metaphors!  All sorts of writer-y things.

Let me know what you think!

Link to the current draft: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10IQ0WWETthRXMdEV15udbOj9RXLCJ8kj7GRiEKlMbSo/edit?pli=1
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
Re: Writing a novel! (The Broken Globe)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 09:32:31 pm »
+1

That's awesome, sounds cool. Haven't actually read it yet but when I do I'll post something.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 01:32:34 am »

Just remembered there are younger members on the forum: as a warning, this story is definitely for 16+.  There is harsh language, dangerous situations, and sexuality throughout.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 01:54:04 am »
+15

Just remembered there are younger members on the forum: as a warning, this story is definitely for 16+.  There is harsh language, dangerous situations, and sexuality throughout.
"Your poem was awful," said Joe, a male, as he stared at an eclipse.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 10:10:07 am »

Ow my freakin' ears!
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 01:26:46 pm »

...is this a reference of some kind?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 01:31:16 pm »

It reminds me of something I read somewhere:

There is harsh language, dangerous situations, and sexuality throughout.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 01:39:32 pm »

I didn't realize an eclipse constituted a dangerous situation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 01:40:22 pm »
+4

I didn't realize an eclipse constituted a dangerous situation.

Staring at it is dangerous.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 04:01:16 pm »
+17

Donald is making a joke on your warning of mature content by providing harsh language, a dangerous situation, and sexuality, except to a significantly lesser degree than what you meant. Insulting someone's work, such as saying "Your poem was awful" could be considered harsh language, but is hardly something that needs to be warned about. By stating that Joe is a male he is making a point of Joe's sex, which could count as sexuality. What you meant by there being sexuality throughout the story is obviously totally different. Finally, staring at an eclipse can be a dangerous thing to do because you could be blinded, but isn't what you generally think of when it comes to dangerous situations. By taking your warnings and providing an example of how what you said could be interpreted, Donald makes a joke on the various degrees of content warnings. And now his joke is funny because I explained it to you.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 04:28:41 pm »
+2

Donald is making a joke on your warning of mature content by providing harsh language, a dangerous situation, and sexuality, except to a significantly lesser degree than what you meant. Insulting someone's work, such as saying "Your poem was awful" could be considered harsh language, but is hardly something that needs to be warned about. By stating that Joe is a male he is making a point of Joe's sex, which could count as sexuality. What you meant by there being sexuality throughout the story is obviously totally different. Finally, staring at an eclipse can be a dangerous thing to do because you could be blinded, but isn't what you generally think of when it comes to dangerous situations. By taking your warnings and providing an example of how what you said could be interpreted, Donald makes a joke on the various degrees of content warnings. And now his joke is funny because I explained it to you.

It depresses me that this sort of thing has leaked out of the memes thread.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 07:41:55 pm »
+6

I will watch the movie when it comes out.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 08:41:44 pm »

It depresses me that this sort of thing has leaked out of the memes thread.

You don't want jokes to be anywhere but the meme thread?

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 09:29:30 pm »

I will absolutely read this, but give me a week to get to it. I'll take a look at it during my work hours (during down time) and I am off for a week.

Way cool and thanks for sharing!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 09:31:40 pm »

I thank you for your optimism!

I will absolutely read this, but give me a week to get to it. I'll take a look at it during my work hours (during down time) and I am off for a week.

Way cool and thanks for sharing!

You're quite welcome!  Thank you for reading!

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 09:44:56 pm »

I thank you for your optimism!

Just to make sure you take this as a compliment: This is exactly the same policiy I used on Tolkien's and J. K. Rowling's writings.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 07:30:40 pm »

Is it really that necessary to have an age rating on your book? If someone finds it too intensive, they can just stop reading. It's not like anyone will be traumatized by words that they already know.

FWIW I have been playing RuneQuest since I was 10 and the scenarios have always contained harsh language, dangerous (player characters having to resort to cannibalism tier) situations and sexuality, and half the time I have been the one coming up with them. I don't think that has really affected me in any way except for getting me hooked up on RQ.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 01:41:22 pm »

Is it really that necessary to have an age rating on your book? If someone finds it too intensive, they can just stop reading. It's not like anyone will be traumatized by words that they already know.

FWIW I have been playing RuneQuest since I was 10 and the scenarios have always contained harsh language, dangerous (player characters having to resort to cannibalism tier) situations and sexuality, and half the time I have been the one coming up with them. I don't think that has really affected me in any way except for getting me hooked up on RQ.

I played Vice City as a kid, and only when I went back to it years later did I understand what they were talking about.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 02:29:07 pm »
+8

Age ratings can be helpful.  Some people would rather not read certain things, even if they wouldn't be traumatized by it.  And some people actually might be traumatized by certain things, which is why "trigger warnings" are a thing on the internet.  We give ratings to video games, why not books?

Also, Donald is absolutely right that staring directly at an Eclipse is dangerous.  You should avoid it whenever possible.  You should also avoid staring directly at Twilight, New Moon and Breaking Dawn.  Repeated exposure to any of these four may cause brain damage.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 02:51:10 pm »
+5

I will play the video game based on the film of the book.
And possibly the monopoly themed spin off.

MAN those chance cards will be interesting...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 03:40:06 pm »
+4

I will play the video game based on the film of the book.
And possibly the monopoly themed spin off.

MAN those chance cards will be interesting...

You enter a dangerous situation. Lose $100

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 04:10:05 pm »

We give ratings to video games, why not books?
Because the sight of someone getting beheaded is much, much worse than a description of someone getting beheaded.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 07:21:49 pm »

Because the sight of someone getting beheaded is much, much worse than a description of someone getting beheaded.

Have you read Game of Thrones?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 07:32:39 pm »

No, but I have read Saya no Uta. Which is a bit weird though, since it's a visual novel and also counts as a game and actually has an age rating of 18+, but still, I had no problems reading it (I was underage back then) and I'm relatively sure that I still couldn't watch a movie based on it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 08:14:31 pm »

No, but I have read Saya no Uta. Which is a bit weird though, since it's a visual novel and also counts as a game and actually has an age rating of 18+, but still, I had no problems reading it (I was underage back then) and I'm relatively sure that I still couldn't watch a movie based on it.

Everyone is different though.  I'm sure that some people have become desensitized to graphic violence, but reading every bloody, gory detail would be too much for them.  Again, triggers and all, and it's nice of wero to give some warning for those people who care.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 20 queries.