Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Resources for Dominion videos and live streams  (Read 30427 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Resources for Dominion videos and live streams
« on: March 29, 2014, 01:59:23 pm »
+7

This topic is meant to be a compilation of resources for those who want to start making Dominion videos or live streaming Dominion.

Maybe this thread should be stickied? EDIT: oh yeah, maybe the title of the subforum should be changed to something like "Dominion Videos" or something that includes live streams? It seems to have taken off enough that it won't be going away in the near future (I hope!  :) )

Video recording software
CamStudio (for Windows, I don't know of any free recording software for Linux)
   video tutorial
      Don't worry about codecs, it will almost certainly work right away
      Gives you a lot of flexibility on audio inputs and such
Will likely not require any editing for most of your video recording needs

Streaming software
Open Broadcasting Software (OBS)
   You can also use this to save videos instead of (or in addition to) streaming them if you want
   libav text tutorial for Windows
   OBS text tutorial for Linux
   OBS video tutorial for Windows
      I've never had trouble with my stream key like this guy has
The only setting you should use that isn't what Twitch prefers is to uncheck "Use CBR" -- if not you're going to get terrible lag on lots of things, including Goko (it's not Goko's fault, don't worry)
   Setting up IRC clients to capture Twitch chat
      I've had issues before when streaming tournament matches: I want to read the chat after the match is over, but I don't want to look at it while I play (so people can talk freely about the kingdom without risk of helping me). The Twitch chat interface doesn't keep very many messages before it just forgets about them, so connecting to chat with IRC is a good way to make sure you can save off the entire chat easily.
   Widget for Twitch to display chat live on stream (Thanks to Seprix)
      I've found this useful for tournament matches especially, I can't see the chat, but when I review my videos to see what people said, there's no more wondering what they were talking about because I can see when things were said and get good context.

Video Tutorial for streaming to Twitch on Mac OS

Twitch allows cropping ("highlighting") videos, and can upload directly to YouTube.
Twitch doesn't save your past broadcasts by default, you'll want to enable this on your account.

Video editing software
Windows Movie Maker (comes with Windows)
   v2.6 for Vista/Win7
   video tutorial
CamTasia Studio
   Costs money to use, but there's a 30-day free trial. CamTasia is more powerful if Windows Movie Maker isn't doing what you want (like split-screen videos, most notably)
   Comes with its own video capture software as well, which is quite nice.

Hear about other people Live Streaming Dominion
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:35:27 pm by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Resources for Dominion videos and live streams
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 02:01:38 pm »
+3

I did some test streaming yesterday using OBS and Twitch and it was super easy to setup.

I do have a question about the Max Bitrate setting. Twitch recommends something like 2500 kb/s for 720p and 3500 for 1080p. They also say that it's best not to go beyond 3500. Why is that? According to speedtest.net my connection has an upload speed of 93Mbps. Can't I just put the Max Bitrate on, say, 10.000 and thereby decrease the amount of downsampling my system has to do before uploading the data? Or is it that twitch will just forward the data literally to the viewers, so that if I stream at a ridiculously high rate people with a slower connection will suffer severe lag or high buffering times. If that's the case, what setting would work for most people? Is 3500 fine or should it be lower?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 02:23:25 pm »

Based on my experience, there was quite a bit of lag/dropped frames when I tried streaming at the maximum bitrate, and going to 1/2 of the default made it really smooth.  Might matter more in an action game or something.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 02:45:16 pm »

IIRC, your bit rate determines the minimum download speed people need to watch your stream, so people with slow internet won't be able to view your stream.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 11:03:27 pm »

Any recommendations for video settings to use in the technologically backwards USA?  SCSN may have an upload speed of 93 Mbps, but I'm limited to 5 Mbps.  That is literally the fastest that anyone sells in my area.

PS: I'm using OBS, but could change if there's something better out there for streaming Dominion.  It seems obvious that 1 keyframe 2 seconds is outrageous overkill for a mostly-static game screen, and I'm sure there are codec efficiency issues too.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:06:05 pm by ragingduckd »
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 12:03:55 am »

Any recommendations for video settings to use in the technologically backwards USA?  SCSN may have an upload speed of 93 Mbps, but I'm limited to 5 Mbps.  That is literally the fastest that anyone sells in my area.

PS: I'm using OBS, but could change if there's something better out there for streaming Dominion.  It seems obvious that 1 keyframe 2 seconds is outrageous overkill for a mostly-static game screen, and I'm sure there are codec efficiency issues too.

Not too well-versed in OBS settings, but the internet I'm using right now is upload speed of around 0.9 Mbps, and using 750 kb/s as my bit rate seems okay.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 01:57:24 am »

I stream with OBS on a 1Mbps link, and it's been fine quality. I've got my max bitrate set at 1kb/s, 30fps, and keyframe interval at 2. You can see an example of the video quality this produces at http://www.twitch.tv/amalloy/b/528069401 - no noticeable frame drops, animations only a tiny bit choppier than when actually playing.

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 02:05:40 am »

I stream with OBS on a 1Mbps link, and it's been fine quality. I've got my max bitrate set at 1kb/s, 30fps, and keyframe interval at 2. You can see an example of the video quality this produces at http://www.twitch.tv/amalloy/b/528069401 - no noticeable frame drops, animations only a tiny bit choppier than when actually playing.

Cool.  Is that 720p?
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 02:20:38 am »

Cool.  Is that 720p?

I run my screen at 1600x900, so I think that's the resolution that gets streamed. Is that better or worse than 720p? Beats me.

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 02:58:33 am »
+3

Cool.  Is that 720p?

I run my screen at 1600x900, so I think that's the resolution that gets streamed. Is that better or worse than 720p? Beats me.

Okay, here's what I've been able to work out:

The number in 720p or 1080p is just the number of horizontal scan lines (from top to bottom).  Both are common standards for commercial media.  So 1600x900 would be "900p," which is better than 720p and worse than 1080p.  That said, there's no point in broadcasting at a higher resolution than your native content.  So if your monitor is spitting out 900 horizontal scan lines, it's actually much worse to upsample and broadcast at 1080p.  You'll end up with higher bandwidth and worse quality, as every scan line of input gets stretched to cover 1.2 scan lines of output and the results get averaged together.

Actually, Goko does this same thing natively when you resize your browser window or use Ctrl-<plus> or Ctrl-<minus> to zoom.  Edit: Or maybe it only does it when you first load the page.  It may be browser-specific.  I get best results when I start with a maximized browser window, then resize it as necessary later.

So the best thing you can possibly do for your broadcast is:
1. Put Goko into a mode with none of this stretching: use 100% browser zoom (Ctrl-<zero>) and then resize your browser window until it looks as crisp as you can get it.
2. Broadcast exactly the game area in exactly its native resolution.  OBS can do a sub-region of a window, so select that sub-region and then broadcast exactly that size, even if it happens to be something weird like 1365x783.

Finally, the OBS default keyframe rate is incredibly wasteful for Dominion.  Change it from 2 sec/keyframe to at least 20 sec/keyframe.

In video encoding, most frames as stored as just a set of changes from the previous frame.  Since two successive frames usually look a lot like each other (e.g. two frames of the same person talking), this saves a ton of space.  Every now and then, you still have to send a complete new frame (a keyframe), but you only want to do it when it's really warranted (e.g. when the camera cuts to a different shot).  For Dominion, the camera never cuts to a different shot.  The game board and 90% of its information is static throughout the entire game.  Keyframes are therefore extremely wasteful.

By reducing the frequency of the keyframes, you can either send the same quality in less bandwidth (by also reducing the max kbps) or send higher quality in the same bandwidth (by leaving max kbps unchanged).  I reduced my keyframe rate to once every 20 seconds and dramatically improved the quality.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 03:38:42 am by ragingduckd »

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 03:10:10 am »

Cool.  Is that 720p?

Okay, here's what I've been able to work out:

The number in 720p or 1080p is just the number of horizontal scan lines (from top to bottom).  Both are common standards for commercial media.  So 1600x900 would be "900p," which is better than 720p and worse than 1080p.  That said, there's no point in broadcasting at a higher resolution than your native content.

Can you actually choose the resolution in which you broadcast (I can't check right now)? I thought you just broadcast what you tell it to in whatever resolution it happens to be, with the bandwith determining the amount of compression that will be applied before uploading.

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 03:32:48 am »
+3

Can you actually choose the resolution in which you broadcast (I can't check right now)? I thought you just broadcast what you tell it to in whatever resolution it happens to be, with the bandwith determining the amount of compression that will be applied before uploading.

Yes, first right-click the source ("Window Capture" for me) and select the sub-region you want to broadcast:

Then use the Video tab in the Settings dialog to broadcast at exactly that resolution:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 03:34:03 am by ragingduckd »

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 08:03:03 am »

So I just decided to learn how to do this.  Apparently, there is a constant tornado in my home and I type like somebody's dropping anvils on my keyboard.  Any idea how to quiet those background noises?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 08:11:09 am »

So I just decided to learn how to do this.  Apparently, there is a constant tornado in my home and I type like somebody's dropping anvils on my keyboard.  Any idea how to quiet those background noises?

Sounds like you might be using the integrated mic/webcam on a laptop? Having a headset really helps with your audio quality, and the nicer of a headset you get, the better your quality is going to be.

If you've never shopped for a headset, I'd recommend getting a cheap wired one to start out so you can learn what you want in a headset.

I personally recommend Logitech headsets, I've used a lot of them and I've been really satisfied with them.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 08:21:40 am »

i've got an old headset that I can dig up somewhere...until then, any tips?  something with audio threshholds?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 08:27:52 am »

I mean, I know how you can get rid of background noise when you're editing audio/video but I imagine that's not what you want. A little bit of background noise is something people can deal with while you figure out other things about who you are while broadcasting, how it interacts with how you play, things you care about, etc. At least that's my opinion. As long as people can hear what you're saying I think you're OK to get started.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 08:29:20 am »

Thanks! I'll test it out a bit, and then perhaps start doing this stuff.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 12:11:47 pm by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 06:46:05 am »

When uploading videos to Youtube, is there a way for the videos to be longer than 15 minutes? Youtube would only let me upload videos in 15 minute sections, which is annoying.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 12:51:04 pm »
+1

When uploading videos to Youtube, is there a way for the videos to be longer than 15 minutes? Youtube would only let me upload videos in 15 minute sections, which is annoying.

Your channel has to be approved for uploading videos that are longer than 15 minutes. I remember this happened to me before I ever started making Dominion videos and I don't remember ever asking for it. After some searching it looks like you can ask to have your account verified which should help you out...

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 10:32:03 am »
+1

Maybe this could be added here? Connecting with IRC chat to Twitch.
http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1302780-twitch-irc
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 12:01:53 pm »
+1

Maybe this could be added here? Connecting with IRC chat to Twitch.
http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1302780-twitch-irc

Good call. I've edited it into the OP.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 12:09:04 am »
+1

OBS text tutorial for Linux
This is actually a link to using libav for streaming, not OBS. libav is a fork of ffmpeg, which is what I use to stream on Linux. ffmpeg and libav can also do video recording and duration cropping.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 11:17:57 am »

https://www.rechat.org

You can use this to record your chat during a game if you want to see it in context later.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2015, 02:59:33 pm »

You can use this to record your chat during a game if you want to see it in context later.

So this app only records the top 800 most popular Twitch channels' chat at any given moment and there doesn't appear t be any way to configure it to record your own channel's chat  :(

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2015, 05:55:01 pm »

So this app only records the top 800 most popular Twitch channels' chat at any given moment and there doesn't appear t be any way to configure it to record your own channel's chat  :(

It also only keeps things for the VODS that last like, 2 weeks or something. So... yeah. You could just record the chat on stream as you go, and then it will stay - hooray.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 11:21:20 am »

I'm trying to get twitch to work, but the stream keeps resizing to stupid sizes, so that it looks like this:

http://gyazo.com/a3257d9abf70553e25e3a8fe8838d2b8

My 1st monitor that I'd like to stream from is 2560x1440, 2nd is 1900x1200 if that somehow matters.

I've tried tinkering with the settings here
http://gyazo.com/986aa364a8dcf1eddf881b0c8e72f2e9 in my OBS but nothing seems to work.

Any advice would be super appreciated! As you can probably tell from the fact that I'm the only person on the forum unable to stream from twitch, I'm more or less computer illiterate.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 12:15:45 am »

So the way I stream most of the time, I use a Monitor Capture instead of a Window Capture. It takes a bit to get it set up and with a good resolution (mostly Goko's fault) but it allows me some flexibility. It's easy to switch between Dominion and a random Hearthstone stream, and I can show other stuff quickly as well. Have you tried that, or are you just using a window capture?

The "Preview Stream" button and the "Edit Scene" button on your OBS window can be very, very helpful in getting things set up the way you want them as well.

I can go into more in-depth help with you in a couple of days when I get back from vacation if you'd like, Eevee  :)

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 05:05:30 am »

I tried both monitor capture and window capture. Just probably not savvy enough to do what it takes. :/

Pm me when you get back, would be much appreciated! :)

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2015, 10:36:38 pm »

I've just added a link to the OP:

https://nightdev.com/obschat/

Seprix found this and sent it to me, and after using it I'm pretty happy with it. It's a widget that allows you to display your chat on-stream with all the Twitch emotes properly displayed and everything. I found it especially useful in tournament matches but is useful all-around.

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 05:33:49 pm »

Does anyone know whether it's possible to highlight someone else's stream on your channel? Or at least link to their highlights? I just played Stef and he streamed, so I'd like to be able to put that on my own channel as well.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2015, 05:54:37 pm »

Does anyone know whether it's possible to highlight someone else's stream on your channel? Or at least link to their highlights? I just played Stef and he streamed, so I'd like to be able to put that on my own channel as well.

Unless you want to capture playing his stream on your own computer, then upload it somehow (this will do terrible things to the quality of the stream and you may want to make sure Stef doesn't copyright all of his stuff :P), then it's up to him to highlight the things you'd want so you could link to them. In two weeks, if he doesn't do that, then Twitch will delete the original stream.

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • DFTBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2015, 05:57:28 pm »

Unless you want to capture playing his stream on your own computer, then upload it somehow (this will do terrible things to the quality of the stream and you may want to make sure Stef doesn't copyright all of his stuff :P), then it's up to him to highlight the things you'd want so you could link to them. In two weeks, if he doesn't do that, then Twitch will delete the original stream.

How could I link? Like, on a topic here, or on twitch?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2015, 06:04:55 pm »

Once he highlights it, Twitch can create a permalink you can use. You could put that link in the description of your video and/or in a thread here.

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • DFTBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2015, 06:38:51 pm »
+1

Once he highlights it, Twitch can create a permalink you can use. You could put that link in the description of your video and/or in a thread here.

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • DFTBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2015, 06:27:15 pm »

I'm having some trouble with setting up my screen cap with the new version. I couldn't find it in the window capture, and with both the other options I only got a black screen.
How do you set up your streams with 2.0? Any tips to get past the black screen?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2015, 09:28:07 pm »

I'm having some trouble with setting up my screen cap with the new version. I couldn't find it in the window capture, and with both the other options I only got a black screen.

So the way I stream most of the time, I use a Monitor Capture instead of a Window Capture. It takes a bit to get it set up and with a good resolution (mostly Goko's fault) but it allows me some flexibility. It's easy to switch between Dominion and a random Hearthstone stream, and I can show other stuff quickly as well. Have you tried that, or are you just using a window capture?

The "Preview Stream" button and the "Edit Scene" button on your OBS window can be very, very helpful in getting things set up the way you want them as well.

It's tough for me to give more specific advice than that. I'm not sure when I'd be around, but if you share your screen with me on a Skype call I can help you get your business set up. I'll PM you my Skype name, Hugo.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2015, 03:50:32 am »

Did you get it done? For me, it only works in window capture mode. I can't get it done in game capture mode as has been suggested by others (I just have a black screen there, as well).

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2015, 01:30:50 pm »

so i have a conundrum now

i can stream dominion at 1280x720 and that seems to look fine in terms of having everything be readable with the game log visible. problem is, that takes up almost all the space with my laptop monitor...so i can't see the chat while playing.  that's fine for serious games of course, but i really need to be able to banter with everyone there for normal streaming.

the largest resolution i can use for dominion with chat visible on the side is only 800x600.  the issue there is that with the game log open, it's impossible to read the card text.  it also requires me to stream at a resolution that's not 16:9, which puts black bars on the side of the twitch stream.

i only have one monitor, so my options are quite limited here.  any ideas?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2015, 02:01:57 pm »

so i have a conundrum now

i can stream dominion at 1280x720 and that seems to look fine in terms of having everything be readable with the game log visible. problem is, that takes up almost all the space with my laptop monitor...so i can't see the chat while playing.  that's fine for serious games of course, but i really need to be able to banter with everyone there for normal streaming.

the largest resolution i can use for dominion with chat visible on the side is only 800x600.  the issue there is that with the game log open, it's impossible to read the card text.  it also requires me to stream at a resolution that's not 16:9, which puts black bars on the side of the twitch stream.

i only have one monitor, so my options are quite limited here.  any ideas?

My first inclination is to decrease the resolution you can stream in -- not many people I know can view the stream in HD anyways, but maybe that's not a problem for you because you are big enough that Twitch lets people watch your thing? Is that even a thing that happens? I've only heard rumors...

funkdoc

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2015, 02:27:43 pm »

that's not quite getting at my problem here, though your point is correct - any stream with twitch partnership will have quality options.

monitor space is my hangup, not stream space.  i want to be able to have the card text, game log, and stream chat all readable...while being able to read the stream chat on the side of the monitor.  1280x720 fails on the latter count, while 800x600 fails on the former.

the heart of the problem is MF dominion constricting the game space when you turn the log on - otherwise i could make 800x600 work.  goko w/ salvager didn't do this, so i had a much easier time with that.  with MF, 800x600 makes it impossible for me or the viewers to read the card names when i have the log on.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2015, 02:33:49 pm »
+1

You could maybe use a text-to-speech software to read your twitch chat out loud for you if that's of any help.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

funkdoc

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2015, 07:21:24 pm »

no, including the chat on stream isn't the issue.  the MMF plugin actually makes that real easy since i just lay it over the in-game chat.  thanks though!

it's the game reducing the size of the cards etc. when you have the log on.  that's the whole thing that kills me atm

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2015, 07:30:45 pm »

no, including the chat on stream isn't the issue.  the MMF plugin actually makes that real easy since i just lay it over the in-game chat.  thanks though!

I was suggesting it so that you don't need space for the chat on your own monitor if you can hear it instead of seeing it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2015, 09:22:48 am »

that's not quite getting at my problem here, though your point is correct - any stream with twitch partnership will have quality options.

monitor space is my hangup, not stream space.  i want to be able to have the card text, game log, and stream chat all readable...while being able to read the stream chat on the side of the monitor.  1280x720 fails on the latter count, while 800x600 fails on the former.

the heart of the problem is MF dominion constricting the game space when you turn the log on - otherwise i could make 800x600 work.  goko w/ salvager didn't do this, so i had a much easier time with that.  with MF, 800x600 makes it impossible for me or the viewers to read the card names when i have the log on.

You could just lock your chat window on top of your Dominion client, and if it needs to be moved so that you can see the log or something, you just drag it out of the way a little. That's what I do (after someone suggested it to me in my stream chat).

funkdoc

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2015, 09:55:05 am »

hmm, not sure where i'd have the space for that but it's a thought.  problem is, i wouldn't want two copies of the chat showing up, so i'd have to keep changing it when i close the chat for league matches and such.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2015, 10:22:35 am »

hmm, not sure where i'd have the space for that but it's a thought.  problem is, i wouldn't want two copies of the chat showing up, so i'd have to keep changing it when i close the chat for league matches and such.

Hmm, I guess that depends on how your streaming is configured. I have my stream set up so it tracks only the Dominion window, not my actual screen. So I have Dominion full-screen but I can move windows on top, tab out to other programs, etc without changing what the viewers see. I suspect there's a solution in this space that works, but I'm not sure what it is. Its not like M:tG, where the "optimal" stream configuration is known and copied by everybody.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2015, 10:33:47 am »

I think this should work: stream the Dominion window + small twitch chat overlay on top of the in-game chat, then lock the twitch chat on top of the log part for your eyes only, so that where you see the twitch chat, your viewers will see the gamelog, and where your viewers will see the streamed twitch chat, you see the in-game chat.

funkdoc

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2015, 11:29:52 pm »

hmm...the problem there is that i don't know how to put something on the screen-capture area without it showing up on stream.  well, i could have the other program stay on top of it but then i can't see it either!

also, i improved my layout further and tried it tonight, and the results are mixed.  it's the larger resolution so i can't have chat open along with the game.  the cards themselves are still a bit blurry with the log on as well, and it cuts off the bottom of the screen due to lack of vertical space.  turns out the latter means i can't chat in the game, so i look like a dick never telling anyone "good luck" or what have you.

it'll be a little while before i can stream again, so hopefully  i can get something worked out!

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2015, 11:57:41 pm »

hmm...the problem there is that i don't know how to put something on the screen-capture area without it showing up on stream.

Use "window capture" rather than a screen capture area for the Dominion client.

MdLC

• Scout
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2015, 12:00:37 am »

turns out the latter means i can't chat in the game, so i look like a dick never telling anyone "good luck" or what have you.

If you are confident in your typing skills, you can use the tab key to enter chat while in game. On the end game screen, it might take two tab presses if the chat is open but not focused (first tab closes chat, second opens and places your cursor in chat box).

funkdoc

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2015, 12:19:35 am »

SCSN: that's actually what i do!  but stream chat still shows up when it's on top of the game window - you can see this at the start of my stream earlier tonight (http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc/v/31184400).

also mdlc, the point is that i can't click on the box to actually chat anything since that part gets cut off.  i don't think pressing tab makes it appear any higher up...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 01:24:16 am by funkdoc »

funkdoc

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2016, 05:27:11 pm »

oh hey, OBS keeps the game window on stream even if i have it minimized!  is this a new thing?

that solves the biggest remaining problem for me streaming this game (not being able to read chat between games without screwing up the stream).  the game window itself could still look a bit better since i can't stretch it horizontally to cover my whole screen, but it seems at least "fine" so i'm not going to complain much =)

you can definitely expect more of me streaming random games now!

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2017, 03:59:34 am »
+1

Since I'm not the only one fighting with Chrome to setup the stream:

If you want to stream your Chrome window for the 2017 client, you have to deactivate hardware acceleration, otherwise all you get in OBS is a black screen.

In Chrome, open the menu on the far right to your adress line, go to Settings -> Display advance settings -> System -> remove the check from use hardware acceleration (or just go to settings and search hardware, I'm usually to lazy to search on my own)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:05:32 am by assemble_me »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 20 queries.