Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Apprentice + market square… any mistakes ?  (Read 1614 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Apprentice + market square… any mistakes ?
« on: March 29, 2014, 08:03:09 am »

Code: [Select]
Market Square, Shanty Town, Trade Route, Alchemist, Pirate Ship, Quarry, Taxman, Trader, Apprentice, Bazaar
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140329/log.50e04bebe4b0710f28f0138e.1396094231460.txt

Three questions :

1) Taxman or not taxman ? It seems like it wasn't a bad choice
2) Did I lose because of first player advantage or is there a big mistake I made ?
3) What about trader ? Does it worth it ? I think it doesn't, because market square already did cool job at gaining gold for apprentice's fuel.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentice + market square… any mistakes ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 08:37:48 am »
+1

1) Trade Route+quarry is worth consideration but perhaps the taxman rules that out.
2) You trash too high too quickly perhaps and miss a chance to clear out some rubbish first. There's one turn where you trash apprentice instead of quarry when the quarry is becoming poor.
3 ) I don't think trader is right here since you should be accumulating gold instead of silver.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 09:08:36 am »
+5

No Taxman, you want to get rid of your Coppers entirely, not upgrade them into equally useless Silvers.

Your main mistake is that you started gaining Golds too early. You don't want to do that until you got rid of your Coppers and Estates. What you eventually want is draw your whole deck and then have a bunch of Apprentices, Market Squares and at least one Gold in hand. Trash the Gold, discard 3 Market Squares and draw back your 3 Squares + the 3 Golds you so gained. Rinse and repeat until you have no more Apprentices.

Here is an example game. I forgot to add Colonies but that shouldn't matter: you can end Colony games on Provinces all the same. Try to replicate it in solitaire, that will be a far better learning experience than trying to remember your mistakes.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 09:17:08 am »

Well, I did go for taxman not for the copper upgrading, but more for gold into platinium. Since it's a game with bunch of golds, I thought taxman would often hurt my opponent, and discarding a gold at the start hand can really hurts more than losing the gold in a hand with bunch of cards, because usually for the first action of your turn you want to Apprentice a gold or something like that. So, maybe not a taxman for the opening, but afterwards ?

I still think I have played better than my opponent and 1st player advantage was a big part of the game :P

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 11:58:26 am »
+2

Well, I did go for taxman not for the copper upgrading, but more for gold into platinium. Since it's a game with bunch of golds, I thought taxman would often hurt my opponent, and discarding a gold at the start hand can really hurts more than losing the gold in a hand with bunch of cards, because usually for the first action of your turn you want to Apprentice a gold or something like that. So, maybe not a taxman for the opening, but afterwards ?

I still think I have played better than my opponent and 1st player advantage was a big part of the game :P

You both played terribly.  Not in a "you're bad at Dominion" sense, but rather in a "you don't grasp the power of App-MS" sense.

You played a sort of App-MS Big Money strategy, filling your decks with treasure and then buying VP over several turns.  Taxman is plausible in such a strategy, and you're defending it in that context.  But the context itself is invalid, because with or without Taxman, App-MS played as BM will get absolutely crushed by App-MS played as a megaturn strategy.

Look more closely at SCSN's game, and then try a few practice games replicating the plan.  It'll quickly become obvious that it's far stronger than the plan you played, and also that Taxman and Platinum have no place in it.

Edit: Here's an old thread with further elaboration of the strategy and lots of sample games (including the one time I've seen this strategy beaten in a non-mirror, a tournament game I lost to Davio).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 12:45:44 pm by ragingduckd »
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.