Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: money-less winning kingdoms  (Read 6325 times)

bardo

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: g. lazalde
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
money-less winning kingdoms
« on: March 25, 2014, 04:18:47 am »
+1

I was pretty satisfied with this win: http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140308/log.5319f973e4b08c4b63260c65.1394338556123.txt#Game Over

I mean, it's not anything too special, but it was fun to win without any money in hand at the end.

I post it now to inquire for other kingdoms where you won without money. Or even better, you only purchased 0-2 silver or gold at any point during the game. I imagine they're not that rare, I can think of quite a few possibilities off hand, but I thought it might be interesting to see some of the kingdoms where this was a solid strategy.

Did councilroom have an achievement for this?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: money-less winning kingdoms
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 11:01:30 am »

Tactician, Poor House and Horn of Plenty are cards which allow this to happen often enough. Keep an eye out for those cards.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:37:51 am »

Tactician, Poor House and Horn of Plenty are cards which allow this to happen often enough. Keep an eye out for those cards.
How does Tactician allow this to happen? It doesn't give you coins or an alternative way of gaining cards.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 12:17:46 pm »

Actually, on the old Isotropic Dominion service there were statistics recorded for the 'win rate without' a card. This counted when someone won without gaining that card during the whole game. Silver had the second highest 'win rate without'. The type of kingdom where you are without silver is not entirely common but certainly not rare either.

CopperrCopper

• Scout
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 12:26:11 pm »

How does Tactician allow this to happen? It doesn't give you coins or an alternative way of gaining cards.

Double tac

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 12:49:36 pm »

Double tac
...so how do two Tacticians allow this to happen? They still don't give you coins or alternative ways of gaining cards.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 12:56:26 pm »

I think this is impressive because it's not just treasure-less, it's truly coin-less.  I've played tons of games where a treasure-less deck was able to win, so I thought that's where this was going, but this is much more impressive.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 02:12:54 pm »

Tactician doesn't directly contribute to your buying power, but it is particularly potent when playing treasurelessly.  The Forge/Fortress of the linked game would have been helped by Tactician far more than a strategy relying on treasure to buy cards.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 02:20:32 pm »

Tactician doesn't directly contribute to your buying power, but it is particularly potent when playing treasurelessly.  The Forge/Fortress of the linked game would have been helped by Tactician far more than a strategy relying on treasure to buy cards.
Sure, but it was possible without Tactician. It wouldn't have been possible without Forge (or another trash-gainer) or Fortress even if Tactician was there.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 02:43:03 pm »

I knew I had a game where I had a moneyless poor house deck, but I couldn't find it.  It must have been when drunkensailor wasn't grabbing the logs.

I did, however, find this game, where WanderingWinder destroys me with it plus some knights.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 03:52:42 pm »

I knew I had a game where I had a moneyless poor house deck, but I couldn't find it.  It must have been when drunkensailor wasn't grabbing the logs.

I did, however, find this game, where WanderingWinder destroys me with it plus some knights.

PH gives you virtual money though!

I like moneyless Highway strategies.  Highway+Market Square.  Highway+Upgrade (play 7 Highways, Upgrade everything into Province).

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 04:08:52 pm »

Sure, but it was possible without Tactician. It wouldn't have been possible without Forge (or another trash-gainer) or Fortress even if Tactician was there.

Of course.  I'm not claiming anything stronger than "saying that Tactician helps treasureless decks is not absurd".

To answer the question from the OP, I don't think there was a Council Room achievement for this, no.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 05:07:05 pm »

I think a deck like this where by the end the deck isn't using coins at all is much more impressive and rarer. Any ideas that don't use HoP, monument/goons/bishop, highway, or fortress? (You can get coins as long as you don't use them)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 05:16:12 pm »

I think a deck like this where by the end the deck isn't using coins at all is much more impressive and rarer. Any ideas that don't use HoP, monument/goons/bishop, highway, or fortress? (You can get coins as long as you don't use them)

Graverobber.  Peddler with various Remodel-type cards.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 05:41:31 pm »

Market Square + Remodel (though you probably end up with more Gold than you Remodel, and then you spend them, but in theory it could work). You could also make something with University and Expand work.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 05:44:58 pm »
+2

The "Turbo Remodel" was an early concept deck. You essentially just bought a chapel and remodel, looking to remodel an early estate to a throne room. After trashing down to 5 cards you remodelled 2 cards each turn until you had two provinces, then remodelled the provinces until the supply was empty to win quickly with 12 points. Okay, it isn't a very successful concept, but the base set doesn't have quite as many tricks as the later sets.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 06:05:59 pm »

Wait, what....turbo remodel was a real thing?
I always thought it was a jokey strategy to throw into a list to mock newbies!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 07:09:08 pm »
+2

How would Horn of Plenty help a treasureless deck?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 10:04:56 pm »

moneyless != treasureless

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 10:40:04 pm »

moneyless != treasureless

Yes, but I don't really count it as money. It's a treasure card, true. But like, it's more a treasure card for ease rather than a terminal action which would make it really bad.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 11:09:44 am »

Rats/Beggar/Forge
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

bardo

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: g. lazalde
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 03:56:04 pm »

That forge-workshop-double tac is truly impressive. Only one silver, totally coinless. I even wonder if you could have gotten a double forge going for multiple victory cards each turn. I also liked how it used almost all the cards in the kingdom.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.