Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Ill-Gotten Gains  (Read 30033 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Ill-Gotten Gains
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 01:34:50 pm »
+1

If both Witch and IGG are on the board, I will prefer Witch 100 percent of the time, because the presence of another curse-giver screws up the mathematics of the IGG rush.  This is not to say I'll completely ignore the IGGs, but I'd buy Witch first every time and then maybe supplement it with an IGG or two on a $5 hand before the Curses run out.

Interesting! I'm skeptical. The witch buy slows down the cursing by a shuffle. Simulators? (I do agree that the duchy rush is not a viable strategy if the opponent buys witch.)
I don't know that I'd agree with chwhite 100% of the time, but it's gonna be very very often. Probably I'm going to ignore witch in favour of  IGG if sea hag is on the board. And maybe some other convoluted scenario. Maybe even like just gardens. Maybe.
But in general, yeah, other cursers are going to be prioritized (1st copy of them only) and then supplemented by IGGs (probably there are some exceptions to that rule too, like Young Witch on a board with a good bane, and probably familiar).

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 02:51:28 pm »

I keep getting boards with both IGG and ambassador. How the heck do you play these?

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 03:20:15 pm »
+1

I keep getting boards with both IGG and ambassador. How the heck do you play these?

I think you should ignore IGG and win the ambassador war.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 04:36:26 pm »

But in general, yeah, other cursers are going to be prioritized (1st copy of them only) and then supplemented by IGGs (probably there are some exceptions to that rule too, like Young Witch on a board with a good bane, and probably familiar).
In my experience, a Familiar player will get absolutely crushed by Ill-Gotten Gains, particularly if Familiar is the only Potion card in the spread. If you buy a Potion and two Familiars, you've wasted three good buys on cursers and will probably still lose the Curse war 6 to 4.

Case in point:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111126-114856-dea72fb8.html
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:06:29 pm by LastFootnote »

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 06:11:07 pm »

I think you should ignore IGG and win the ambassador war.

Ah, thanks, I'll try that out.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2012, 11:02:36 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/01/game-20120101-193033-a842800c.html
Just played this sick IGG/Cache game. I bought a Minion but it never even got drawn. The decks became that thick with coppers etc. lol. Won the IGG war and went on to win the game. I am level 9 and my opponent is level 36. Really close game.
edit: Also, check out the realization that 75% of the kingdom cards are $5.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

goshen

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 06:05:27 pm »

I just won a border village/ill gotten gains game without buying a single victory card. My opponent was trying to go for tournaments and ignoring the IGG rush but he ended up only buying 2 duchies and an estate. I think he was too slow to realise what was happening even though he had a level in 20s.

When I first started playing I thought IGG made for junk games, but it's really started to grow on me.

rotundo

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2012, 07:35:21 pm »

Anyone else had success with IGG and a trasher?

I recently had this game:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120205-202617-deb3775a.html

The presence of IGG, Border Village and Feast turns Develop, of all cards, into an absolute beast. Featuring the relatively rare "Play a Feast, gain an Estate" maneuver at the end.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2012, 09:22:47 pm »

Anyone else had success with IGG and a trasher?

I recently had this game:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120205-202617-deb3775a.html

The presence of IGG, Border Village and Feast turns Develop, of all cards, into an absolute beast. Featuring the relatively rare "Play a Feast, gain an Estate" maneuver at the end.

Cool idea. Doubt I would have thought of that

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 06:01:37 pm »

Here is some advice for what not to do when your opponent goes for an IGG rush--buy cities to the point that they are the third pile that runs out leaving the score at 3 to -7.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/12/game-20120212-145741-e2dcfff3.html

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 01:04:33 pm »

It seems like City + useful terminals might be a good counter to IGG, though, since you're sure to have the cities activate.

I haven't actually played this, though, and searching councilroom for top players who've played games with IGG/City doesn't yield anything useful.

Simulator hates pure City v IGG (90%+ win rate for IGG player, and that's without the possibility of him ending the game on Cities), and adding something like Smithy or Salvager doesn't really help much. Is this another case of Trade Route/Crossroads (seems like a good idea in theory but just doesn't work in practice)?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2012, 01:14:58 pm »

Still, getting those Labs to work for you with 10 Curses in your deck might be quite hard...

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2012, 01:15:30 pm »

The problem with Cities and IGG is that you don't have great card density due to having 10 curses in your deck (or less, but that probably means you have fewer cities), so your deck is not getting stronger for a long time and then your opponent has a ton of IGGs and better card density to rush duchies, while you have only a couple of turns of activated cities.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2012, 01:38:25 pm »

http://councilroom.com/supply_win suggests that IGG gets a little bit better with Cities in the supply, but not very much.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2012, 09:59:40 am »
+1

Ill-gotten gains has slowly become one of my favorite cards to play with because it completely changes the dynamics of the game with the almost guaranteed 2-pile ending.

here is a game where my opponent got a 5/2 opening while I had a really hard time mustering $5. By turn 7 I had given up on the IGG war--I had only bought one thus far--and started to green using Trade Route as a means of trashing the curses. I ended the game with 6. But my deck was a complete mess, I had bought monument first turn and only ended up playing it 3 times--which ended up being the difference in the game.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/15/game-20120215-065330-dab404bd.html

IGG seems to change a lot of the rules for buys/greening/late game.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.